Wiki Posts
Search

now which motor...

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 10:21 PM
Tech Regular

Default now which motor...

Heyo,

So, i've always been the kind of racer to find somthing that works, and stick with it. I try out a bunch of different ones, and stick with what works best for me. now, this is the first season i will be racing electric truck with any real seriousness.

the problem is, for starters, I need a good motor. The motor im running now is a tuner that was given to me by a long time track regular. Its a decent enough motor, however its only 19t and our track will be VERY rythym based, and built around 12-15t or so motors. So, ive decided that I want to go 14t double, but I have no starting point. Motors get a little pricey to try out. The owner of the shop here has a bunch, but hes done so much to them that they are either really fast, or really, really crappy. so i cant judge based on his motors that I've tried out.

from the ones I've been looking at, im leaning towards the Peak Vantage, the Orion Revolution, or the Reedy Platinum.

Ive been told that the angled cylindrical brushes help reduce hung brushes, not to mention the long comm life.

thoughts? other suggestions?
Old 04-01-2005, 11:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

The Reedy motor is going to have a lot of power to it....It has a slightly bigger comm and laydown brushes, so it will produce lots of power.

The TOP motors will give more time between cuts and more efficiency.

Its all driver preferance. If push comes to shove, you'll just have to try out both.....but run what the majority the populus at your track runs. That way you have support. I'd personally run the new Trinity Cobalt, but I've only heard great things about the TOP motors.
Old 04-02-2005, 08:45 AM
Tech Adept

The Reedy Platimum motors have standup brushes, and a 7,5mm comm and quad magnets. You can see a list of the different Reedy motors here:
http://www.rc10.com/shusting/Catalog...ison_chart.htm

You could go for a Reedy Ti Worlds 14x2 motor, and throw in some Trinity XXX brushes. The Ti Worlds has a dual-magnet can, laydown brushes and a 9mm comm. Loads of power, and good comm/brush life. A Reedy Kr would be even more powerful, but with more wear, and harder to gear correctly.
Old 04-02-2005, 09:33 AM
Tech Regular

Mafia, I spent quite a bit of time checking out the cobalts. I was originally going to stick strictly with cylindrical brushed motors, but a local guy i run with who is a big trinity fan was telling me about them. Well, those and the D6 flat wires. what are some advantages to the trinity motors?

at any rate lets see if i got my facts straight here..... given two motors of similar design, the one with laydown brushes will be more powerful than the one with stand up brushes (all things being equal). next, a laydown brush is for a 9mm comm, as a rule of thum. and last, 9mm laydown brushes are universal to 9mm comms.... am i correct?

with that said, the TOP motors are the angled ones?
Old 04-02-2005, 10:31 PM
Tech Addict

Yeah, the top motor is the v2 one.
I'd go with either the cobalt or the orion. I've had bad luck with trinity mod motors. Two KRs have failed on me under normal conditions, one of them in the first run with it.
But, while it worked, it made lots of power.
Old 04-03-2005, 01:03 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default trinity

I heard that the Trinity D6 series are good, the Trinity D6 14t double looks awesome. Check it out on www.towerhobbies.com search it on there.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:57 AM
Tech Addict

beetlebz

The Reedy Platinum would be a good motor, the 4mags give less lowdown punch which is better for offroad.
If you wanted to save a little money you could get a Reedy Flashpoint they are basically a machine wound Platimum, for half the price, I have been using one in my TC4 to good effect

Slap a set of Reedy Plutonium(777) brushes in it and brush and comm wear won't be a worry, they are more expensive than most but you can get about 30runs from them.

I run a 10x2 Ti worlds with plutonium brushes in my 4WD truck and after 7 runs the comm barely needed one cut on the lathe.
Old 04-05-2005, 05:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i use reedy based LRP motors, so much power, i use the "P" brush in them, which doesnt burn, i have ran more than 40 runs in a 12x2 and the brush is barely worn, the ready silver based brush is similar. i can recommend the reedy's well just look at how many world champs they have won! but look at your driving skill and the track surface, if you dont have much throttle control or the track is slippery stick to a higher turn motor and also the more winds in a motor the smoother the power delivery, so stick to doubles or triples.
hope it helps
Old 04-06-2005, 12:19 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Just picked up a cobalt based on the recommendations of Big Jim. Can't wait to try it out in 4wd buggy and 2wd truck.

Anyone know what armatures the cobalt comes with, they are not skewed like the D6 from what I understand so they may be the D5's?