R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 11-14-2012, 03:57 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default Reedy Sonic Vs Tekin Redline Gen 2 Vs Orion

I am in the market for a new 17.5 motor. I have a Reedy Sonic that I run in a RB6 in blinky class but wanted to see what else was out there. I have heard good things about the new Tekin Redline Gen 2 and the Orion. I wanted to know how these two compared to the Reedy Sonic. Please let me know if you can help. Thanks
Old 11-14-2012, 04:12 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

From everything I have read Reedy Sonics are the best, that is going to be my next upgrade once I get the money.
3srcracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:26 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Yeah I like my Reedy. I want to see if anyone has tried all three to see if its worth upgrading.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:00 PM   #4

Trader Rating: 142 (100%+)

I've never owned orion but I currently own both a reedy 17.5 and tekin gen2 17.5, and I honestly like the gen2 better. The reedy seems to have a little more punch but the gen2 to me feels smoother throughout and possibly has more top end as well. I'll be comparing both of them at the track again friday messing with gearing and motor timing to find out better results. One thing for sure is my tekin runs cooler then my reedy..........
ilanstylz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:04 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Thanks for the insight. I will check back in with you next week to see how it went.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:30 PM   #6
Tech Regular

How did it go?
Old 12-02-2012, 10:03 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilanstylz View Post
I've never owned orion but I currently own both a reedy 17.5 and tekin gen2 17.5, and I honestly like the gen2 better. The reedy seems to have a little more punch but the gen2 to me feels smoother throughout and possibly has more top end as well. I'll be comparing both of them at the track again friday messing with gearing and motor timing to find out better results. One thing for sure is my tekin runs cooler then my reedy..........
You sure bout that Sean? I have been running 17.5 motors..... Reedy, the Schuur Speed and now the Gen2 Tekin. The Tekin runs way hotter than the Reedy and Schuur Speed. Same gearing in a 22sct, Reedy and Schurr Speed came off @ 130-150 @ 7 min with 40deg can timing and the gen2 with same gearing comes off @ 200+ with 30 deg can timing. I tried to gear down and took some timing out and its still way hotter than the other 2. If i take out the timing and or gear it down I get slower lap times than Reedy and Schuur Speed. Right now I'm going back to Schuur Speed, I was a bit disapointed with the tekin motor. Next I will try the new Trinity D3.5 motor. I hear that motor is worth trying.
www.coyotehobbiesraceway.com www.facebook.com/coyote-hobbies-indoor-rc-raceway
CHR, Rock Concepts, DE Racing, rcracechat.net, Top Notch Racing Series,
Coyote Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:18 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have run the Tekin gen 1 17.5 and Speed passion Competition MMM 17.5 and the Tekin ran smooth and under 150 degrees but the Speed passion ran cooler and had alot more low end, top end speed was the same with same gearing and running the same battery. I am going to order a new reedy motor because I have heard alot of good reviews on that motor.
schumacheracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:46 AM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote Dave View Post
You sure bout that Sean? I have been running 17.5 motors..... Reedy, the Schuur Speed and now the Gen2 Tekin. The Tekin runs way hotter than the Reedy and Schuur Speed. Same gearing in a 22sct, Reedy and Schurr Speed came off @ 130-150 @ 7 min with 40deg can timing and the gen2 with same gearing comes off @ 200+ with 30 deg can timing. I tried to gear down and took some timing out and its still way hotter than the other 2. If i take out the timing and or gear it down I get slower lap times than Reedy and Schuur Speed. Right now I'm going back to Schuur Speed, I was a bit disapointed with the tekin motor. Next I will try the new Trinity D3.5 motor. I hear that motor is worth trying.
Perfect assessment, I too run 17.5 and currently own both the Reedy and Shurrspeed. Geared the same, the Reedy has a little more on the straight but the Shurrspeed has the punch to get out of the holes and feels faster everywhere else.

Orion 17.5, all top end with low torque. I fell flat on triples, fast on straight
Revtech 17.5, very flat, needs the HA rotor to complete
Icon 17.5, good motor just outdated.
Tekin gen1 17.5, outdated, was good when it was first out.

I haven't tried the D3.5 but I hear the Maxxilla version that comes out next month is supposed to be fast. Dave, I'll see you Friday and Saturday.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:20 AM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

If your running 17.5 stock, one thing that may help you decide is if your track requires a ROAR approved motor. The Gen2 at last check was not ROAR approved yet. We have a handful of trophy races a year at our track and in stock class only ROAR approved motors are allowed. It helped narrow down my choices. ROAR has not been approving stock motors lately for some reason. Last time I checked the list several were still waiting approval. Some motors say built to ROAR specs, but they are not on the approved list yet.
BRSracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:04 PM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I'm stuck between both the gen2 tekin and the schuur speed 17.5 motor. I have a viper 17.5 motor in my truck, it runs good, but it seems like I run hotter then everyone else, no matter what. it makes good power, but I think i need something with a vented can. I like both the schuur speed and gen2 tekin, but I'm leaning towards the schuur speed after reading coyotes comment.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:55 PM   #12
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Randy_Pike

Each and every 17.5 will have different characteristics that may require gearing to be different between them. Some motors like timing, some don't.

The Tekin Gen2 runs best in most conditions timed at the 30 mark on the can in offroad blinky classes. Find the gearing with that motor setting by checking lap times and motor temps.

Tekin,Protek,A-Main Hobbies,KoPropUSA,JConcepts,Avid RC,MIP,DE Racing,SikLidz
Randy_Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links