Search
Like Tree246Likes

Xray XB4 thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 09:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racingnewb
I am torn between getting the 2017 xb4 and the new b64d. After reading the above 17' xb4 link I am thinking about canceling the b64d pre order and pre ordering the new xb4. That 17'xb4 ad is a good one it has me sold. I like the look of the lay out and the ease of maintenance. Maintenance is not my favorite thing and the easier it is the better for me. I also like the chassis braces which look like a easy quick tuning option. I run on clay tracks and summer time run on pretty smooth clay/dirt tracks if that makes a difference. Is the 16' xb4 better for the above tracks? Thanks for any advice, I don't wanna buy 2 4wd buggys so I want to make the right choice the first time. I don't want to get the b64d and wish I would of just got the xb4. The way I see it is you can't go wrong w/ the xb4 and your taking a chance on the b64d since it's not proven.
Well, for one, you cant go wrong with either the xb4 16 or 17, the design is very well proven and optimized the car is excellent. Durability is top notch a, all the bug and kinks have been worked out... The b64 may very well be as good as every one hopes it will be, but as of now nobody is 100% sure.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I am torn between getting the 2017 xb4 and the new b64d. After reading the above 17' xb4 link I am thinking about canceling the b64d pre order and pre ordering the new xb4. That 17'xb4 ad is a good one it has me sold. I like the look of the lay out and the ease of maintenance. Maintenance is not my favorite thing and the easier it is the better for me. I also like the chassis braces which look like a easy quick tuning option. I run on clay tracks and summer time run on pretty smooth clay/dirt tracks if that makes a difference. Is the 16' xb4 better for the above tracks? Thanks for any advice, I don't wanna buy 2 4wd buggys so I want to make the right choice the first time. I don't want to get the b64d and wish I would of just got the xb4. The way I see it is you can't go wrong w/ the xb4 and your taking a chance on the b64d since it's not proven.
Another thing to think about is the parts support. If your hs doesn't stock X-ray parts it can be annoying if you happen to break something that you don't have on hand and have to order it from Amain. It can ruin a race day. But... I rarely have broken anything on any of my X-ray cars unless I really smack into something hard. Part availability can also be an issue sometimes with X-ray (I.e. Out of stock parts at Amain, etc) but I usually can find a way around that via eBay or Rc America. Parts are also more expensive for the X-ray. Roughly twice the price for most parts. Might sound like I'm saying X-ray isn't a good choice but I'm not. I love the X-ray cars, these are just things you have to ask yourself. Some people wouldn't want to deal with those things.
Also if you look at the b64d it kinda seems like they are copying a lot of the X-ray design and layout so It seems like they recognize that X-ray is doing something right. I'm sure the AE is a nice buggy but I have just loved the X-ray cars and haven't run anything else since I started racing 10th scale. Everybody at the tracks I go to runs AE or tlr for the most part. I like running something that not everybody else has. Just my preference. Good luck with your decision
Old 12-20-2016, 06:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I bought the 16 XB6 about 4wks ago and the car flat out perform. One of the better kits Ive put together as well, no issues with fitment and no having to ream holes in the arms, everything fit together good and smoothly.
I race on high bite indoor clay tracks and it only took a few setup changes and the car is on rails for my driving style and I also chose to go with the Center Diff vs the slipper.

When I built the car, I went off a setup sheet based on what was close to my track style and what I found on Petit RC database. The next week out I made couple small changes and even more dialed.

True, not many LHS carry Xray parts, but most racers I know and myself usually carry our own parts anyways for the main or typical items that I would believe to be vulnerable.
Old 12-20-2016, 07:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Good posts, thanks. I here ya on the parts situation, but for me none of my lhs have the newer car parts(unless it's a b6d). I believe my decision is made. I'm gonna pre-order the 17' xb4 and get some medium plastics w/ it. I'll get some spare arms since they are what I normally break. I know a few team drivers and some xray owners for some set up help and spare part help in a emergency situation.
Old 12-20-2016, 07:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Good posts, thanks. I here ya on the parts situation, but for me none of my lhs have the newer car parts(unless it's a b6d). I believe my decision is made. I'm gonna pre-order the 17' xb4 and get some medium plastics w/ it. I'll get some spare arms since they are what I normally break. I know a few team drivers and some xray owners for some set up help and spare part help in a emergency situation.
If this is any peace of mind, I've only broken 1 a arm on the car and that was due to a corner marshal stepping onto a short straight and I hit him full blast... the car is extremely tough. 'Ive owned the car 1 year and have had o fix or replace 2 pars total.
Old 12-20-2016, 08:32 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

What pinion y'all running in 13.5? with the '16 stock spur.
Old 12-20-2016, 01:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I found a 17' xb4 for sale overseas that says in stock and ships immediately. Rc America says there store is down due to a new e-store or something like that. Of course I want to get it as soon as possible. So I'm wondering if I should just order it from amain which says back ordered? If I get it from amain I can order some medium plastics at the same time which will be convenient.
Old 12-20-2016, 01:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DustinEich
From what I've seen and read you would want to start at around 7.0-8.0 FDR for 13.5. I just got he '16 too and ordered the center diff with 81 spur. I'm going to start at 26 pinion for a 7.79 FDR. I would say 26-29 pinion would be a decent start point. I believe the internal ratio for the xb4 is 2.5 to calculate FDR. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 12-20-2016, 02:09 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Slapjack
From what I've seen and read you would want to start at around 7.0-8.0 FDR for 13.5. I just got he '16 too and ordered the center diff with 81 spur. I'm going to start at 26 pinion for a 7.79 FDR. I would say 26-29 pinion would be a decent start point. I believe the internal ratio for the xb4 is 2.5 to calculate FDR. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks i think you are right... These stock classes confuse me..
Old 12-20-2016, 02:13 PM
Tech Regular

Yeah looks like a 25 or 26 for me.
Old 12-20-2016, 05:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I run a 26 on my 16 with stock spur. Tight track medium high traction. No issues with heat.
Old 12-20-2016, 05:08 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Danger Dietrich
I run a 26 on my 16 with stock spur. Tight track medium high traction. No issues with heat.
Thanks
Old 12-20-2016, 05:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

My XB4 is my first 1/10 4wd. Years of 1/10 2wd and 1/8 4wd. XB4 was easy to build and easy to work on. Took me under 5 hours electronics and all. Comes with everything you need to have a competitive car right out of the box. It is basically built just like a 1/8 4wd buggy. It is nearly identical to my Xb8's with the exception of the chassis and chassis bracing. I spent a bit of time testing different weight diff oils, I don't know of a simpler design to access the diffs. Motor mount is sweet, super easy to get a perfect mesh. I've raced and practiced a ton of laps, only broken one a arm, climbrd a pipe and hit a stationary object going 6.5 turn wide open under a bridge. It should have broke. I'm confident that if you can't make this car work... it's probably not the cars fault.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (88%+)

Originally Posted by DustinEich
I'm running 27/75
Tested and temped at 26,27,28 and 27 yielded the best overall. That's at the famous OCRC!!
Old 12-20-2016, 09:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (88%+)

I'm close on my suspension set up. Just curious what springs people are using. Im at
1.6 37.5 front kit spring
1.7 32.5 rear kit spring

But I'm still getting some chassis slap that's upsetting the car more than I like. Would like to run AE, TLR, Kyosho, or Yokomo as that's what is stocked at my local track...OCRC hard packed clay med/high bite.

Also what is the recommended shock length for droop setting..?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.