Search
Like Tree246Likes

Xray XB4 thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 06:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lyons238
yes not to keep dirt or debris out but to keep the pins in, the shielding is an added benefit.

so yes run shrink rap over the joint (be sure to make the shrink rap go over the barrel a bit so when you shrink it it locks on. and also use dry lube in combination. i clean mine out maybe once every 4-5 days at the track (on clay - way less on carpet) and they could go longer but they get a tiny bit gritty.
I haven't had an issue with the pins coming out yet, but will try the shrink wrap to tip to prevent it from being an issue. My biggest concern is with the pin & barrel wear that I'm seeing - pins replaced twice and barrels once. I am only driving it on loose dirt and cleaning/greasing every other race day (with no other use on the car). I'll try the dry lube to see if it works better than the marine grease.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (88%+)

Is the 2015 B4 Center Diff different from the 2016 or is it the same...?
Old 10-20-2016, 03:50 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jgonz
Is the 2015 B4 Center Diff different from the 2016 or is it the same...?
Same
Old 10-20-2016, 05:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by suzukipro
I haven't had an issue with the pins coming out yet, but will try the shrink wrap to tip to prevent it from being an issue. My biggest concern is with the pin & barrel wear that I'm seeing - pins replaced twice and barrels once. I am only driving it on loose dirt and cleaning/greasing every other race day (with no other use on the car). I'll try the dry lube to see if it works better than the marine grease.
what did your barrels look like to be replaced?

i've had mine in for 8 months and the only wear i see is the brownish coating, which isn't even worn all the way off. still original pins and barrels.

def try dry lube and shrink rapping them.
Old 10-20-2016, 06:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

what did your barrels look like to be replaced?

i've had mine in for 8 months and the only wear i see is the brownish coating, which isn't even worn all the way off. still original pins and barrels.

def try dry lube and shrink rapping them.
The issue is the pins have flat spots on them where they make contact with the barrels and the barrel holes are elongated from the pin contact. Initially I just replaced the pins, but noticed the barrel pin holes were growing so I replaced them as well.

I'm running a 6.5T motor with an RSX esc with the current limit/Torque setting on 2 with no boost or timing added. The surface I drive on is on the loose side so this wear seems excessive as I can get a set of tires to last for a series/season or two
Old 10-20-2016, 07:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

The issue is the pins have flat spots on them where they make contact with the barrels and the barrel holes are elongated from the pin contact. Initially I just replaced the pins, but noticed the barrel pin holes were growing so I replaced them as well.

I'm running a 6.5T motor with an RSX esc with the current limit/Torque setting on 2 with no boost or timing added. The surface I drive on is on the loose side so this wear seems excessive as I can get a set of tires to last for a series/season or two
when you say barrel do you mean the inner barrels or the outer cage?

also i run a 5.5t motor on high grip carpet and med-high bite clay, so i have way more torque going to mine than you do. my guess is it's the grease and the loose dirt doing the wear.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:56 AM
Tech Champion

Try hosing them down with 100% silicone spray every run. It's a dry lube, when it dries.

Drive train wear is a constant in offroad. If you're eating Xray drives often, I'd hate to see how quick you can wear out an AE or Losi dirvetrain.

You may have also left the pins in too long. Once the pins show wear they need to come out or they eat the barrel.

That being said, I've nearly worn my XB9 center front CVD to destruction. But it's still hanging in there. That one's a PITA to replace, and I have an entire spare drive set, so I'm really lax on replacing it.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
Try hosing them down with 100% silicone spray every run. It's a dry lube, when it dries.

Drive train wear is a constant in offroad. If you're eating Xray drives often, I'd hate to see how quick you can wear out an AE or Losi dirvetrain.

You may have also left the pins in too long. Once the pins show wear they need to come out or they eat the barrel.

That being said, I've nearly worn my XB9 center front CVD to destruction. But it's still hanging in there. That one's a PITA to replace, and I have an entire spare drive set, so I'm really lax on replacing it.
when you say show wear you mean deforming of the pins right?

mine have just worn the coating off, but no actual deformation of the metal itself, so i keep running mine even after 8 months. my drive pins need to be replaced more often than that though.

also when you say barel do you mean the barrel insert, or the outside cage like barrel. i think the term barrel is meant for the ones on the inside.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

when you say show wear you mean deforming of the pins right?

mine have just worn the coating off, but no actual deformation of the metal itself, so i keep running mine even after 8 months. my drive pins need to be replaced more often than that though.

also when you say barel do you mean the barrel insert, or the outside cage like barrel. i think the term barrel is meant for the ones on the inside.
You are correct it is not the barrel, but the outer case/pins that are wearing out. The replacement pins seem to develop small flat spots on the ends where they come in contact with the outer metal case even after one race day.
Old 10-20-2016, 06:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

You are correct it is not the barrel, but the outer case/pins that are wearing out. The replacement pins seem to develop small flat spots on the ends where they come in contact with the outer metal case even after one race day.
i was gonna say the inner barrels actualy come factory with an oval shape so note that. but ive never had flat spots on my outer cages. mine are fine after 8 months.

but mine have also been dry lubed and shrink wrapped. im willing to bet its wear from dirt getting in the grease.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Im going to switch the car up and put brunos setup on it for our carpet-astro tracks. I have a turnbuckle tying the spur gear area to the back of the car together acting as a too deck-any idea why besides stiffer chassis? How important is it to balance the car?
Old 10-21-2016, 12:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

i was gonna say the inner barrels actualy come factory with an oval shape so note that. but ive never had flat spots on my outer cages. mine are fine after 8 months.

but mine have also been dry lubed and shrink wrapped. im willing to bet its wear from dirt getting in the grease.
what dry lube are you using if you don't mind sharing?
Old 10-21-2016, 01:44 AM
Uga
Tech Regular

I use offroad bike chain lube from time to time, but mostly I like to keep my driveshafts clean in offroad. I am running the regular ones though.
Old 10-21-2016, 03:33 AM
Tech Adept

molybdenum disulfide only use this
Old 10-21-2016, 09:43 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Is there a way to change the final drive difference from front to rear?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.