Like Tree246Likes

Xray XB4 thread

Old 10-22-2015, 08:18 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BentKa
One major flaw with forums like this is that every backyard basher out there is an expert…….

The Xray shocks……when built properly…….are some of the best out there…….in fact they are currently THE best shocks in the world at the moment if you should follow the logic of some people on here.

They blame the shocks for their shortcomings on the track………well I praise the shocks for helping Xray win the World Championship this year

We've raced the XB4 for 3 years now both nationally and internationally and I still haven't had the need to shim the diffs or change anything in the shocks.

We run the stock o-rings and stock pistons (drilled to spec) with only regular Hudy oil for sealing and have never had a problem.

We trash on the gears month after month on high grip astro and carpet tracks with 1.000.000 cst in the center diff without any issues at all………..we run in the dirt…..on clay…….and in the mud when it rains………

Of course the buggy needs maintenance……..just like every other buggy out there

These are race kits designed to give you the edge on the track.

If you want a basher……..then a Traxxas might actually be a better choice for you.

If you want a buggy to get into racing then the XB4 is one of the best choices out there at the moment

Bent

The xb4 is a awesome car. Shocks seem fine to me. They do get dirty quick but so do all the other brands. I hear all the time kyosho makes the best shocks but they feel about the same to me. Rc is such a fickle world everyone has a weird opinion. If love to hear the presice details on how the pros build these shocks for best performance
So far as the gears go though when I see everyone at the track replacing gears in them often and seeing gears are on back order at Rc America for ever now. I'm thinking the pros are a bit tongue in cheek saying they are not changing them out also.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:58 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I want to use the 12mm on the 16 xb4 what of the 12mm hex offset do I need to keep the stock track with using jconcepts wheels
Old 10-22-2015, 09:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Troy Mckune
So the Kyosho X rings fit good?

I run the Avid pistons and they work great. I do get dirt in the oil pretty quick when running on a dusty out door track. Inside on the turf or carpet no problems.
They do. It helps keep some of the dirt and dust out as well prolonging oil life.
You don't need to soak the xrings either.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:32 PM
Tech Adept

Why not use shock shaft protective sleeves since the fluid gets so contaminated as "some" say they do? I'm assuming the shocks are the same on the new XB4 as it was on the last XB4 chassis?
Old 10-22-2015, 10:59 PM
Tech Regular

Aside from changing oil, I've not rebuilt my shocks in the 3 years I've had the car, I didn't even put the extra o ring in the shock cap that came out after the car was launched.

As Bent said already, they're easily up with the best shocks on the market, the only thing I'd change is to put a hex or something similar into the body to make tightening it up easier.
Old 10-22-2015, 11:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Be interested to know those complaining of quality with the shocks, how often are you rebuilding and replacing wear items like o-rings and other seals.
Old 10-23-2015, 12:46 AM
Tech Addict

Will the slipper and new pads still work with a drilled out 69T associated spur?
Planning on running 17.5 in my '16 (when it arrives) will leave my '15 for mod
And when you do run that size spur, what range of pinion fits?
Old 10-23-2015, 02:45 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bd581
Will the slipper and new pads still work with a drilled out 69T associated spur?
Planning on running 17.5 in my '16 (when it arrives) will leave my '15 for mod
And when you do run that size spur, what range of pinion fits?
No idea if the AE spur will work with the new 3 pad slipper or not but the new spur gear is available in 4 sizes:
  • 75T / 48P #365875
  • 78T / 48P #365878
  • 81T / 48P #365881 (standard)
  • 84T / 48P #365884

Bent
Old 10-23-2015, 02:48 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by COP4
Why not use shock shaft protective sleeves since the fluid gets so contaminated as "some" say they do? I'm assuming the shocks are the same on the new XB4 as it was on the last XB4 chassis?
Shocks are the same, just with a bit different coating and the tolerances on the pistons are better than ever.

Feel free to use shock boots if you want to……..they're not needed…….but absolutely an option for those who want to

Bent
Old 10-23-2015, 02:52 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by billsharp34
I want to use the 12mm on the 16 xb4 what of the 12mm hex offset do I need to keep the stock track with using concepts wheels
I can check when we get the next shipment from JConcepts in 1.5-2 weeks time

Bent
Old 10-23-2015, 03:19 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ResultsRC
The xb4 is a awesome car. Shocks seem fine to me. They do get dirty quick but so do all the other brands. I hear all the time kyosho makes the best shocks but they feel about the same to me. Rc is such a fickle world everyone has a weird opinion. If love to hear the presice details on how the pros build these shocks for best performance
So far as the gears go though when I see everyone at the track replacing gears in them often and seeing gears are on back order at Rc America for ever now. I'm thinking the pros are a bit tongue in cheek saying they are not changing them out also.
We run the same bevel and pinion gear for a full season with no issues.

There's a reason why when we go to the track to practice and do setup testing we get 600+ laps done in an evening and the other guys get maybe 150-200 and spend the rest of the time wrenching.
  • Over-tightened screws for bulkhead cover
  • Over-tightened screws for diff housing
  • Worn out bulkhead
  • Already stripped one of the gears and only replaced one of them
  • Shot bearings
  • Slipper cranked down way too hard (we run 0mm on the spring)

In 98 out of the 100 times I help people at the track with stripped gears one of these things are the culprit.

For the remaining 2 out of 100 we change parts, problem goes away and we never actually pin pointed the exact issue.

What I'm trying to say is……..I'm always told by the owner that everything's perfect and every part has been inspected before I start disassembling…….but almost every single time I find one of the top 4 things on the list to be the culprit……why is that

Race kits with todays high powered motors (we run a boosted 4.5T) DO demand some actual maintenance from the owner to be able to withstand the abuse we throw at them.

Sometimes I wish everyone should have been forced to own a late 80's or early 90's race car running brushed motors and Nimh batteries before owning any R/C car at all so you would actually know the real struggle of keeping a car race ready

Here's Malin running at the worlds with her XB4 '16 with boosted 4.5T and slipper set to absolute minimum = 0mm gap.

So I can't for the life of me understand why people at the track need to run their slippers cranked down……..and then proceed to cry about why their gears wear out

The answer I usually get is; "I'm having problems clearing that jump……"

Rant over

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

PS! Not aimed at you personally ResultsRC

Bent

Last edited by BentKa; 10-23-2015 at 05:12 AM.
Old 10-23-2015, 03:30 AM
Tech Addict

No idea if the AE spur will work with the new 3 pad slipper or not but the new spur gear is available in 4 sizes:
  • 75T / 48P #365875
  • 78T / 48P #365878
  • 81T / 48P #365881 (standard)
  • 84T / 48P #365884

Bent
Thanks for that, but can you (or anyone) confirm what pinion size range will fit if I was to run 75T?
Looking for a FDR in the 5.5-6 range
Old 10-23-2015, 05:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I had the pleasure of watching Malin run he main live in Japan at worlds and let me tell you she is an excellent driver (car looked excellent also), in her main she was definitely faster than half her heat, she got hacked badly by the big boys....
Old 10-23-2015, 07:59 AM
Tech Regular

There's a reason why when we go to the track to practice and do setup testing we get 600+ laps done in an evening and the other guys get maybe 150-200 and spend the rest of the time wrenching.
  • Worn out bulkhead
  • Shot bearings

In 98 out of the 100 times I help people at the track with stripped gears one of these things are the culprit.

For the remaining 2 out of 100 we change parts, problem goes away and we never actually pin pointed the exact issue.

What I'm trying to say is……..I'm always told by the owner that everything's perfect and every part has been inspected before I start disassembling…….but almost every single time I find one of the top 4 things on the list to be the culprit……why is that

Race kits with todays high powered motors (we run a boosted 4.5T) DO demand some actual maintenance from the owner to be able to withstand the abuse we throw at them.

Sometimes I wish everyone should have been forced to own a late 80's or early 90's race car running brushed motors and Nimh batteries before owning any R/C car at all so you would actually know the real struggle of keeping a car race ready

Here's Malin running at the worlds with her XB4 '16 with boosted 4.5T and slipper set to absolute minimum = 0mm gap.

So I can't for the life of me understand why people at the track need to run their slippers cranked down……..and then proceed to cry about why their gears wear out

Rant over

Bent
Originally Posted by symmetricon
I had the pleasure of watching Malin run he main live in Japan at worlds and let me tell you she is an excellent driver (car looked excellent also), in her main she was definitely faster than half her heat, she got hacked badly by the big boys....

what is "culprit"?

and what do you mean by "Hacked"?
Old 10-23-2015, 08:09 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

• Worn out bulkhead
  • Shot bearings

Rant over

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Bent
To be fair I do run the slipper tight but on med bite clay track it has been this way since beginning in both cars.and never caused issue till bulkheads were broken and replaced I'd think on carpet that would be more issue. Replacing one gear isn't a real culprit because they were both new at some point and still stripped for some reason To be more specific on over tightening. Diff or case. Wouldn't the plastic hole strip before either distorted? What are you looking for in this case to know that was the issue. So if you loosen a bit does that fix issue. If the tolerance of slight over tighten is that close with these bulk heads?Are the reinforced 16 bulkheads solving this issue ? When are those avail ? I replaced rear bulkhead and both composite gears and used one small shim in back of pinion to push closer to bevel in one car and just getting past dozen packs run. I'll let ya know how far it makes it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.