Search
Like Tree246Likes

Xray XB4 thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 07:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

Originally Posted by rc_dude
As for the XB4 durability and lap times, here is my experience with only 3 races I've done with my '13 so far:

First race, in the first heat, I was the only buggy left running at the end of the heat. Crazy to say so, but it happened. Needless to say I was TQ at first due to that lol
Ended up winning the main by a full lap over the B44, D413, and another '13 XB4.

Second race with it I was at a big track and was TQ over a D413 and a works both driven by sponsored drivers untill I overheated.

Third race (local again), I won against a kyosho and a couple AE's, nothing broke still.
so have you never placed or tq'd with a wheeler before? a problem i have with some of you guys (not necessarily you in particular) acting like brand XYZ is the greatest thing ever is you were fast and typically finished well before you switched and use your continued success to convince yourself and others that the current car is the best ever.

there's a guy at my local track that is super fast with anything he can put a reciever and transponder in, i wouldn't confuse his natural ability for the capability of his buggy.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:04 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by t8rtot
so have you never placed or tq'd with a wheeler before? a problem i have with some of you guys (not necessarily you in particular) acting like brand XYZ is the greatest thing ever is you were fast and typically finished well before you switched and use your continued success to convince yourself and others that the current car is the best ever.

there's a guy at my local track that is super fast with anything he can put a reciever and transponder in, i wouldn't confuse his natural ability for the capability of his buggy.
I have rarely ever seen a car make anyone considerably faster. It happened to me once with the RB6, when I was comparing it to the b4 and tlr22. I actually gained 1.5 seconds per lap. Mostly because the rb6 was way easier to wheel around our outdoor track. But in general, it comes down to "feel", part availability, durability and maintenance. I have driven a friends xray xb4. It was ok, nothing magical. Nice car. I personally never bought one because of the cost of ownership. I run 4wd as a fun second class. I prefer 2wd buggy. When I run 4wd buggy, I want a durable car with reasonable parts pricing and ease of maintenance. Parts support of some form is always a requirement. If you are willing to pay xray's prices on parts, then go for it. it is a nice car.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HulkNT1
The things I did not like about the D413 was the hassle of taking it apart compare to the Xray car. Also Xray car are more durable and can take more punishment and that's not just me saying it is very well know in the industry that Xray can take a beating and still keep running..

The only complain ppl have on Xray is that Part support is not good the reason they say that because they buy from local dealer. I buy everything online so parts from my xray I can find easy. I have the Xb9e it is a 3 years car and I love it and the company still makes parts for it..
Thank you sir I'm liking this Ray even more
Old 05-12-2015, 08:21 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rc_dude
As for the XB4 durability and lap times, here is my experience with only 3 races I've done with my '13 so far:

First race, in the first heat, I was the only buggy left running at the end of the heat. Crazy to say so, but it happened. Needless to say I was TQ at first due to that lol
Ended up winning the main by a full lap over the B44, D413, and another '13 XB4.

Second race with it I was at a big track and was TQ over a D413 and a works both driven by sponsored drivers untill I overheated.

Third race (local again), I won against a kyosho and a couple AE's, nothing broke still.
WOW nice review sir. nice run
Old 05-12-2015, 08:22 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by t8rtot

thanx sir
Old 05-12-2015, 08:25 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
I have rarely ever seen a car make anyone considerably faster. It happened to me once with the RB6, when I was comparing it to the b4 and tlr22. I actually gained 1.5 seconds per lap. Mostly because the rb6 was way easier to wheel around our outdoor track. But in general, it comes down to "feel", part availability, durability and maintenance. I have driven a friends xray xb4. It was ok, nothing magical. Nice car. I personally never bought one because of the cost of ownership. I run 4wd as a fun second class. I prefer 2wd buggy. When I run 4wd buggy, I want a durable car with reasonable parts pricing and ease of maintenance. Parts support of some form is always a requirement. If you are willing to pay xray's prices on parts, then go for it. it is a nice car.
So you thinking the Kyosho 4wd is better? Thank you for your input sir
Old 05-12-2015, 09:00 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Motorman007
Wildcat is spot on. Love my xray, haven't ran it much yet. (it's one of my bad weather cars for indoors when outdoors is rained out) But parts are definitely pricey. My only issue so far was the composite gears for rear diff. I've since bought the metal gears, but have yet to install them.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:22 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

IMO - XB4 more durable than Kyosho 6. much more
Old 05-12-2015, 09:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ezlight
Wildcat is spot on. Love my xray, haven't ran it much yet. (it's one of my bad weather cars for indoors when outdoors is rained out) But parts are definitely pricey. My only issue so far was the composite gears for rear diff. I've since bought the metal gears, but have yet to install them.
I have raced my XB4 '14 for a little over a year now and am still running the original set of composite gears front and rear.

Have you actually had an issue with the composite gears? Or just not like that they are composite?

Does everyone use the graphite grease on them? I have from the time I built mine and like I said haven't had a problem yet. A buddy that I race with bought a used '13 and within a few weeks stripped out a set (cant remember if it was front or rear) when he pulled the diff out the gears were completely dry never seen any grease. a few months later he upgraded to a used '14 and again within a few weeks had stripped another set, pulled it apart and again both diffs had absolutely no grease on them. (cars were from different sellers) I cant remember if it said to or not to grease them in the manual but I just did it out of habit with other cars without even thinking.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:32 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ezlight
The plastic gears are for the birds why even put them in the kit then make you buy the metal gears.

Thanx again for your input
Old 05-12-2015, 09:51 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

I would definitely not get the rb6 for durability. The xb4 is probably the second most durable car. IMO, the d413 is a monster in the durability. But working on it sucks sucks sucks sucks. And it claps out sooooooo bad. If you are willing to pay $10 for 1 a-arm or $100 for a pin removal tool, get the xray. My ONLY issue with the xb4 is the cost. Not really a car I can afford to run. But that is just me. Others have more disposable $$ than me. If you get one, I am sure you will be happy with it. I never met anyone that hated the xb4.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:19 AM
Tech Elite

I would definitely not get the rb6 for durability. The xb4 is probably the second most durable car. IMO, the d413 is a monster in the durability. But working on it sucks sucks sucks sucks. And it claps out sooooooo bad. If you are willing to pay $10 for 1 a-arm or $100 for a pin removal tool, get the xray. My ONLY issue with the xb4 is the cost. Not really a car I can afford to run. But that is just me. Others have more disposable $$ than me. If you get one, I am sure you will be happy with it. I never met anyone that hated the xb4.
I have the Pin Removal tool but $10 a arm is high. I will ad this to my cons list sir.
And add on the D413 con list Pain in the #$#$3 to work on.

Thanx sir
Old 05-12-2015, 10:29 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Instead of the pin removal too, if you have a vise do what this guy does:

https://youtu.be/uTE6GCa-ipU

Last edited by littleZEN; 05-12-2015 at 10:30 AM. Reason: link
Old 05-12-2015, 11:02 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Motorman pls spare all of us the pros and cons lists and just pull the trigger on the 15!
Old 05-12-2015, 11:04 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TPR 1
Motorman pls spare all of us the pros and cons lists and just pull the trigger on the 15!
I will spare everyone. Sir no more talking about the Pro and cons here.
Thank you for your time

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.