Like Tree246Likes

Xray XB4 thread

Old 08-15-2014, 06:00 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by V6Jim
What Proky is saying is true. I've had my car for a full season and have had no problems with the drive train at all. However, it is true that the diffs are a weak link in an otherwise strong package. I've lost count of the number of times I've heard XB4's destroying their gearboxes. Mine is still OK, but I"m sure my time is coming.

Jimmy
You've had the car a year with no problems but the diffs are a problem???.........
Old 08-15-2014, 06:09 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by WarriorJRP
Thanks!
Yes, the diff discussion reminds me of the XB808 (nitro)...a lot of people were destroying the rear bearing in the bulkhead, I never had that problem, but I always ran light weight oil in that car as well
All that being said, I would still keep a spare crown and spare bewel gear, they are indeed designed to be the weakest link of the chain and it takes just a few minutes to actually change them out if you misset the slipper initially. Very cheap way to keep on driving .
Old 08-15-2014, 11:59 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by BentKa
So you have had no problems with yours after a full season yet you state that there is a weak link because other inexperienced drivers have had problems with their incorrectly setup cars

Could it not be as simple as the fact that you might be doing something right setting up your XB4

Stop worrying and enjoy the racing and when the pinion is finally worn out don't shim it.....replace it.......and race for another season

Bent
That's my point Bent, mine is fine, because it's set up perfectly. But the car shouldn't have to be perfect! Most aren't. The car shouldn't self destruct if it isn't. Just. Perfect.

I ran a Caster for a while and it's diff and pinion were steel. It didn't matter how you set it up - it was indestructable.

What we're all saying, basically. is that the drivetrain is the cars weak link. And there is no argument here. It's a fact.

Jimmy
Old 08-15-2014, 12:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

That's my point Bent, mine is fine, because it's set up perfectly. But the car shouldn't have to be perfect! Most aren't. The car shouldn't self destruct if it isn't. Just. Perfect.

I ran a Caster for a while and it's diff and pinion were steel. It didn't matter how you set it up - it was indestructable.

What we're all saying, basically. is that the drivetrain is the cars weak link. And there is no argument here. It's a fact.

Jimmy
There are a few other issues as well though, the inner positions on the hinge pin holders cannot be used since they break $$$ outdrives, have to be extra careful about droop as that also causes outdrives snapping, outdrives, maintainence of central cvds (guess dog bones or unis would have been fine), a lot of ppl on my track have broken 2014 spec front arms, the 2013 are rock solid though. The axles seem to be heat treated too much too hard, I have snapped 2 fronts and 2 rears in the amount of time I have owned this car (~2 years). Shocks are just plain bad compared to kyosho.

These just my opinions of course, but the gear diff issue has been brought up too much lolz getting tired of it.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

bingo
Old 08-15-2014, 01:03 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by aloksatoor
There are a few other issues as well though, the inner positions on the hinge pin holders cannot be used since they break $$$ outdrives, have to be extra careful about droop as that also causes outdrives snapping, outdrives, maintainence of central cvds (guess dog bones or unis would have been fine), a lot of ppl on my track have broken 2014 spec front arms, the 2013 are rock solid though. The axles seem to be heat treated too much too hard, I have snapped 2 fronts and 2 rears in the amount of time I have owned this car (~2 years). Shocks are just plain bad compared to kyosho.

These just my opinions of course, but the gear diff issue has been brought up too much lolz getting tired of it.
And the reason you break outdrives is because you don't pay attention to correct amount of downtravel shims inside the shocks and uptravel limiters on the outside.

So for every time you land a jump and bottom out and for every jump the suspension reaches full downward travel your outdrives takes a beating.

I will bet a ton of money you have visible wear marks on your driveshafts were they hit the outdrives.

This will also cause the car to unsettle on landing and make it even harder to get those perfect smooth landings.

Once again basic setup tweaks that the unexperienced "forgets"

It's all a learning curve......

Bent
Old 08-15-2014, 01:15 PM
Tech Master

Jimmy
I suggest you get yourself a B44.1 and see how far you get without learning to set the slipper correctly.

And it doesn't have to be perfect by a longshot !
But a slipper set too tight WILL either wear out or snap pinion gears no matter the make or model.

Listen and learn and you will benefit from being a smarter and more able mechanic than apparently most of your fellow racers.
This way you will finish races in style and they will still blame their cars for not finishing

For this weekends race (practice started today) on high grip astro we have about 15 XB4's on the starting grid......I expect at least 50% of them to break down tomorrow based on "statistics" presented on here.....lol

We spent the day testing tires, setup and slipper settings.
Changed the slipper setting 5-6 times during the day depending on grip.
Will do it again tomorrow all over again as the grip level rises with the temperature

Now go out and set YOUR slipper

Bent
Old 08-15-2014, 01:33 PM
Tech Elite

And the reason you break outdrives is because you don't pay attention to correct amount of downtravel shims inside the shocks and uptravel limiters on the outside.

So for every time you land a jump and bottom out and for every jump the suspension reaches full downward travel your outdrives takes a beating.

I will bet a ton of money you have visible wear marks on your driveshafts were they hit the outdrives.

This will also cause the car to unsettle on landing and make it even harder to get those perfect smooth landings.

Once again basic setup tweaks that the unexperienced "forgets"

It's all a learning curve......

Bent
Lol another fanboi comment, I am not complaining btw. Its a dumb move by xray which they corrected fast (along with the weak ass front bulkhead the v2 fixed it). There is a reason this addendum is there http://www.petitrc.com/setup/xray/se...DiffOutDrives/ where they admit its a problem lolz.

Experience has nothing to do with it, no other car breaks outdrives/axles this often btw, because they don't use paying customers as testers but team drivers (thing is xray still has a very small presence stateside for 1/10 but hopefully TV and team will help in future).
Old 08-15-2014, 01:41 PM
Tech Master

Lol another fanboi comment, I am not complaining btw. Its a dumb move by xray which they corrected fast (along with the weak ass front bulkhead the v2 fixed it). There is a reason this addendum is there http://www.petitrc.com/setup/xray/se...DiffOutDrives/ where they admit its a problem lolz.

Experience has nothing to do with it, no other car breaks outdrives/axles this often btw, because they don't use paying customers as testers but team drivers (thing is xray still has a very small presence stateside for 1/10 but hopefully TV and team will help in future).
So setting correct amount of down and uptravel is a "fanboi" comment ?

Are you for real ?
And you give out setup advice to other drivers.....lol
How old are you ? 12 ?

Did you even read the addendum where it explains the importance of setting the correct up and down travel of the shocks ?

You raced 1/8th scale much ?

And yes......experience has everything to do with it.
A seasoned racer knows all this and doesn't use his time whining on RcTech blaiming his shortcomings on the car

But hey......good luck with your "racing"

Bent
Old 08-15-2014, 01:50 PM
Tech Elite

So setting correct amount of down and uptravel is a "fanboi" comment ?

Are you for real ?
And you give out setup advice to other drivers.....lol
How old are you ? 12 ?

Did you even read the addendum where it explains the importance of setting the correct up and down travel of the shocks ?

You raced 1/8th scale much ?

And yes......experience has everything to do with it.
A seasoned racer knows all this and doesn't use his time whining on RcTech blaiming his shortcomings on the car

But hey......good luck with your "racing"

Bent
Nope glossing over obvious flaws which have been corrected/admitted by xray themselves is a fanboi comment.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:56 PM
Tech Master

Nope glossing over obvious flaws which have been corrected/admitted by xray themselves is a fanboi comment.
Sorry.....having a really hard time taking you seriously with your statements and comments.

As I said.....good luck with your "racing".

Drivers wanting to learn and pick up good tips hopefully know how to distinguish between good useful information and "the other stuff" (in lack of a better word)

PM's are welcome as well if you have any questions

Bent
Old 08-15-2014, 02:02 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks for the "help" Hudy's buddy.
Old 08-15-2014, 02:13 PM
Tech Master

Thanks for the "help" Hudy's buddy.
You're welcome

Let me know if you have any setup advice for our National Championship tomorrow.
Tomorrow is 2WD on medium grip astro......oh and I have the slipper, outdrives and pinion/bevel gear "issues" under control so don't worry about those.....

Bent
Old 08-15-2014, 02:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I got so tired of listening to mister perfect know it all that I quit for a while. He cannot admit that there is any solution other than his. Got him on ignore now.
Old 08-15-2014, 02:29 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by asc6000
I got so tired of listening to mister perfect know it all that I quit for a while. He cannot admit that there is any solution other than his. Got him on ignore now.
Hahah I just used that feature pretty nifty. I can finally read some Associated threads as well now lolz.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.