Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree248Likes

Xray XB4 thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 06:35 AM
Tech Rookie

Hello all.

I am getting back into the RC hobby, I recently purchased 2 brand new Xray XB4 - 2014 Specs...

I built both chassis, and according to the instructions, there are suppose to be two mount points on the chassis for flange screws used to secure battery wires, these mount points do not exist. wondering if by chance I got kits from a bad batch? Or does the 2014 spec not have these mount points?

Also, any suggestions for Diffoil weights for a medium traction clay track?
10k/7k in the diff seems a little high?

One more question - what's a good starting point for the slipper spring? I haven't ran the car yet, but to start I bottomed the spring and backed off two complete turns, Wondering if I'm even in the ballpark to make final adjustments?

thanks
Old 08-14-2014, 08:41 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Proky
What a lot of rubbish. If you run the XB4 on a rough track and you are not a great driver you will have issues with it. When I got the car I took it to the seller here, he said before I started that you will need spare drive pinions and the crown as our track just wears through them after a few races. He was 100% correct. The great drivers that never crash don't seem to have the same issue but guess what not everyone and certainly not me is a great driver. These diffs are for clean tracks, good drivers and 6.5+ motors.

My gripe is why make the rest of the car like a tank and leave these two parts crap? just seems weird. Optional stronger parts for those of us with less skill behind the controller should have been released at day 1.

Proky
If you're not a good driver why would you drop an 6.5 or lower motor in a 4 wheel buggy? Put a 10.5 or 13.5 to start off until your skill level comes up. I've beat the crap out of my XB4 both indoors and outdoors and have had zero problems with the drive train.
Old 08-14-2014, 02:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

The nice thing about a 10.5 is you can actually pin it a little bit and you get a more "workable" amount of throttle which allows for more car control so you can run cleaner lines and get some easy lower lap times.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:39 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by EricW
If you're not a good driver why would you drop an 6.5 or lower motor in a 4 wheel buggy? Put a 10.5 or 13.5 to start off until your skill level comes up. I've beat the crap out of my XB4 both indoors and outdoors and have had zero problems with the drive train.
What Proky is saying is true. I've had my car for a full season and have had no problems with the drive train at all. However, it is true that the diffs are a weak link in an otherwise strong package. I've lost count of the number of times I've heard XB4's destroying their gearboxes. Mine is still OK, but I"m sure my time is coming.

Jimmy
Old 08-14-2014, 04:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Most intermediate drivers may not have the ability to make the big jumps as smooth as the more experienced drivers so i think we tend to make our slippers a lil bit tighter in order to gain more power / speed to make the car struggle to make the distance to clear jumps cause we are not on the same lines as the fast guys hence the reason for stripping gears , just my 2 cents but i know for instance that being on throttle on the landing caused my internal gears to fail most other complained about stripping front ring and pinion but cause i was on throttle on landing ramps caused my internal rear diff gears to strip, i dont run on high grip clay track but medium to loose dirt tracks
Ive put nt1 gears and made my slipper looser and stopped being on throttle and it seems to be much better
hope this helps fellow medium skilled drivers
Old 08-14-2014, 05:08 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by V6Jim
What Proky is saying is true. I've had my car for a full season and have had no problems with the drive train at all. However, it is true that the diffs are a weak link in an otherwise strong package. I've lost count of the number of times I've heard XB4's destroying their gearboxes. Mine is still OK, but I"m sure my time is coming.

Jimmy

Jim you could not have heard of this happening!! Apparently it has only happened to 12 people on the planet!
Old 08-14-2014, 05:12 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EricW
Because its fun.

Mine is now fine I only started commenting because people asked about it and thought they deserved the truth not the XB4 lovers crap answers.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Because its fun.

Mine is now fine I only started commenting because people asked about it and thought they deserved the truth not the XB4 lovers crap answers.
Heck I got a 4.5 in mine. Heres my track https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehp6...MetE4cbcSr_nWg

Guess what the xb4 sweeped the podium in invite and open classes :P. In 6 weekends of racing the big track, mine ate 2 front bevel gears, 1 front axle, 1 spur gear (delrin thin one), 1 rear axle, rear upright, 1 front bulkhead hehehe. The cars still beat all the d413s, tlrs and other riff raff :P.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

^^what kind of tires are you running there?^^
Old 08-14-2014, 08:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Jim you could not have heard of this happening!! Apparently it has only happened to 12 people on the planet!
Exactly.
I heard that the 12 who are having problems here must mean everyone running the xb4 is gonna have huuuuuuuuuge problems with their diffs exploding all over the place.

Keep uncovering the truth man, I believe ya...
Old 08-14-2014, 09:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by joeymdz
^^what kind of tires are you running there?^^
X2 suburbs they last around 4 heats each set. Jconcepts red dirt webs as well some team drivers got their hands on em.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:11 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by V6Jim

Jimmy
So you have had no problems with yours after a full season yet you state that there is a weak link because other inexperienced drivers have had problems with their incorrectly setup cars

Could it not be as simple as the fact that you might be doing something right setting up your XB4

Stop worrying and enjoy the racing and when the pinion is finally worn out don't shim it.....replace it.......and race for another season

Bent
Old 08-14-2014, 10:30 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by BDRMBULLY
Most intermediate drivers may not have the ability to make the big jumps as smooth as the more experienced drivers so i think we tend to make our slippers a lil bit tighter in order to gain more power / speed to make the car struggle to make the distance to clear jumps cause we are not on the same lines as the fast guys hence the reason for stripping gears , just my 2 cents but i know for instance that being on throttle on the landing caused my internal gears to fail most other complained about stripping front ring and pinion but cause i was on throttle on landing ramps caused my internal rear diff gears to strip, i dont run on high grip clay track but medium to loose dirt tracks
Ive put nt1 gears and made my slipper looser and stopped being on throttle and it seems to be much better
hope this helps fellow medium skilled drivers
There's no problem being on throttle on landing if you have the slipper setup for it

But instead of tightening their slippers people should instead practice their racing line. A correctly set slipper will also make the car a lot easier to handle even with low turn motors. But unfortunately most people start in the wrong end.......speed first.....then try to negotiate the jumps and turns etc.
More than often on certain tracks we go up in turns for the motor to gain traction and consistency and lower the lap times

But of course it's easier to blame a "weak diff" rather than admitting to their own shortcomings.

I've been doing this for 34 years + and I'm still learning

Bent
Old 08-15-2014, 01:21 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by WarriorJRP
Hello all.

I am getting back into the RC hobby, I recently purchased 2 brand new Xray XB4 - 2014 Specs...

I built both chassis, and according to the instructions, there are suppose to be two mount points on the chassis for flange screws used to secure battery wires, these mount points do not exist. wondering if by chance I got kits from a bad batch? Or does the 2014 spec not have these mount points?

Also, any suggestions for Diffoil weights for a medium traction clay track?
10k/7k in the diff seems a little high?

One more question - what's a good starting point for the slipper spring? I haven't ran the car yet, but to start I bottomed the spring and backed off two complete turns, Wondering if I'm even in the ballpark to make final adjustments?

thanks
Those flanges have been removed from the newest versions of the chassis. You don't really need them if you plan out your cables properly .

As for the slipper, start with something like 6.3mm or more and adjust at the track to get it right. You'd rather have it a bit on the loose end and adjust then have it to tight.

As the last couple of pages have been a good indication of, setting it too hard will cause the diff bevel and crown gears to wear out prematurely.
Old 08-15-2014, 04:22 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Nyegaard
Those flanges have been removed from the newest versions of the chassis. You don't really need them if you plan out your cables properly .

As for the slipper, start with something like 6.3mm or more and adjust at the track to get it right. You'd rather have it a bit on the loose end and adjust then have it to tight.

As the last couple of pages have been a good indication of, setting it too hard will cause the diff bevel and crown gears to wear out prematurely.
Thanks!
Yes, the diff discussion reminds me of the XB808 (nitro)...a lot of people were destroying the rear bearing in the bulkhead, I never had that problem, but I always ran light weight oil in that car as well

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.