R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree39Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-15-2016, 01:30 PM   #11806
Tech Master
 
Slapjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,062
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Yea, has to be which really pisses me off cause I was told it was in excellent condition. Now I won't be able to race it saturday because I'll have to order parts.
Here is a video I tried taking on my phone on my break.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDS_Ch1V4Lk
__________________
Tekno Eb48.3, EB48.2, Tekno ET48, X-Ray XB4'14, '15 & '16, X-Ray XB2 CE, X-Ray T4'15, Hot Bodies D413, Serpent SRX-2, Axial Wraith (full custom Mattzilla Build), Blade 180QXHD
Slapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 02:18 PM   #11807
Tech Regular
 
hoyt1967's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Grand Forks, ND
Posts: 322
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapjack View Post
Yea, has to be which really pisses me off cause I was told it was in excellent condition. Now I won't be able to race it saturday because I'll have to order parts.
Here is a video I tried taking on my phone on my break.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDS_Ch1V4Lk
Spinning at low speed like that I'm gonna say your diff is just not turning both axles when there is a load on them like turning. Let us know how it looks but if the fluid is a lighter weight I'm guessing the diff is just doing its job. It looks like they both spin when the steering is straight??
hoyt1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 02:33 PM   #11808
Tech Master
 
Slapjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,062
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyt1967 View Post
Spinning at low speed like that I'm gonna say your diff is just not turning both axles when there is a load on them like turning. Let us know how it looks but if the fluid is a lighter weight I'm guessing the diff is just doing its job. It looks like they both spin when the steering is straight??
Ya they do both spin when straight ahead but also why the hell is it turning when I spin the spur? Even if I hold the front hubs straight and spin the hexes I can feel them wanting to pull right and left and if I move the servo arm/turnbuckle to steer the front the spur and hexes turn. Idk maybe I'm reading too much into that but I've never seen that before. I'll be pulling it apart in a couple hrs
__________________
Tekno Eb48.3, EB48.2, Tekno ET48, X-Ray XB4'14, '15 & '16, X-Ray XB2 CE, X-Ray T4'15, Hot Bodies D413, Serpent SRX-2, Axial Wraith (full custom Mattzilla Build), Blade 180QXHD
Slapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 02:43 PM   #11809
Tech Adept
 
GregerL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Sweden
Posts: 121
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapjack View Post
Ya they do both spin when straight ahead but also why the hell is it turning when I spin the spur? Even if I hold the front hubs straight and spin the hexes I can feel them wanting to pull right and left and if I move the servo arm/turnbuckle to steer the front the spur and hexes turn. Idk maybe I'm reading too much into that but I've never seen that before. I'll be pulling it apart in a couple hrs
Make sure your cvd joints aren't binding up. Clean and grease. Also never hurts to check out the bearings in the hubs....
GregerL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 03:10 PM   #11810
Tech Regular
 
hoyt1967's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Grand Forks, ND
Posts: 322
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapjack View Post
Ya they do both spin when straight ahead but also why the hell is it turning when I spin the spur? Even if I hold the front hubs straight and spin the hexes I can feel them wanting to pull right and left and if I move the servo arm/turnbuckle to steer the front the spur and hexes turn. Idk maybe I'm reading too much into that but I've never seen that before. I'll be pulling it apart in a couple hrs

LOL I hear ya, I just remember running mine on the stand at low speed and it did that, I checked everything and it was ok, when I ran it at a higher speed it was fine. I know on real cars they do the same thing one axle will usually quit spinning as the load increases when its turned sharp. Good luck, let us know what you find.
hoyt1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 03:11 PM   #11811
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: socal
Posts: 461
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Might just be bad bearings...specifically the left hub or left side of the diff since it's not spinning
littleZEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 03:15 PM   #11812
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 1,224
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapjack View Post
Yea, has to be which really pisses me off cause I was told it was in excellent condition. Now I won't be able to race it saturday because I'll have to order parts.
Here is a video I tried taking on my phone on my break.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDS_Ch1V4Lk
Adjust Steering EPA. Most rc car not same EPA Left/Right. Put the ground with wheels then adjust EPA left/right. Seems it binding if too much steering.
raved007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 05:04 PM   #11813
Tech Master
 
Slapjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,062
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregerL View Post
Make sure your cvd joints aren't binding up. Clean and grease. Also never hurts to check out the bearings in the hubs....
This is the problem. The cv joints are binding. But I don't know how to fix them. I think the whole drive shafts and pins that go inside the ball part of the cv need to be replaced. I cleaned them and put em back in and they don't even slide in smooth. I have to press them in and then they don't move. It's like the ball part and/or the pin parts are deformed or something.

And both front hinge pins are badly bent.

Talked to the seller and he refunded $ for all the relacement parts. At least he was cool about it. He must not have noticed it while he was running it.
__________________
Tekno Eb48.3, EB48.2, Tekno ET48, X-Ray XB4'14, '15 & '16, X-Ray XB2 CE, X-Ray T4'15, Hot Bodies D413, Serpent SRX-2, Axial Wraith (full custom Mattzilla Build), Blade 180QXHD

Last edited by Slapjack; 12-15-2016 at 06:17 PM.
Slapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 08:42 PM   #11814
Tech Adept
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 177
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

does anyone know when the 2017 version will be in U.S. hobby shops?
sealander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 08:57 PM   #11815
Tech Elite
 
artwork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Thornton, CO
Posts: 3,094
Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealander View Post
does anyone know when the 2017 version will be in U.S. hobby shops?
Soon probably in the next couple of weeks...according to RCA
__________________
Sanwa | R1 Wurks | Avid | 2mm Designs
artwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 07:39 AM   #11816
Tech Adept
 
Pville Stig's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Texas
Posts: 245
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapjack View Post
This is the problem. The cv joints are binding. But I don't know how to fix them. I think the whole drive shafts and pins that go inside the ball part of the cv need to be replaced. I cleaned them and put em back in and they don't even slide in smooth. I have to press them in and then they don't move. It's like the ball part and/or the pin parts are deformed or something.

And both front hinge pins are badly bent.

Talked to the seller and he refunded $ for all the relacement parts. At least he was cool about it. He must not have noticed it while he was running it.
That would have to be one hell of a hit to cause that much damage. Someone is not telling you everything.
__________________
RC America/XRAY
LRP America
AKA Products
Pville Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 07:55 AM   #11817
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1
Default

when i see 27mm on setup sheet for rear shock , is it from ball joint to shock body ? or from shock body to upstrom shim ?
hab_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 11:45 AM   #11818
Tech Addict
 
mdwaeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Denver
Posts: 676
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

check the little pinion gear where it comes in the shaft
__________________
TEAM ASSOCIATED Rc10, rc10B6D ,FUTABA , TEAM ORION, KYOSHO RB6.
mdwaeracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 11:52 AM   #11819
Tech Master
 
Slapjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,062
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pville Stig View Post
That would have to be one hell of a hit to cause that much damage. Someone is not telling you everything.
I pulled the rest of the car apart last night and everything else is in very good condition. And I still don't completely understand what's up with the barrels not fitting in the cv ball at the end of the drive shaft. Its just weird that that piece deformed but I guess if it was jammed into that bearing it could have caused it. The left side was the worst along with the bent hinge pin. The right was slightly tweaked. And I did find a notch out of the left front arm next to the hinge pin. So I am assuming he clipped something with that side and tweaked those parts. But I am redoing the whole setup back to box specs. so I will catch any other issues that may have been caused. But so far the rest looks good.

Just a couple quick questions.
1. the internal ratio on the XB4'16 is 2.5 right? I am thinking I'll start with 13.5T and get the center diff (81T spur) and start somewhere around 7.0-8.0 ratio.. sound about right?

2. I am going to run on clay so I ordered some medium side braces. Do you think I should also get the medium center chasis braces or stick with the hard for now and see how the center diff and med side braces do? then go from there.
__________________
Tekno Eb48.3, EB48.2, Tekno ET48, X-Ray XB4'14, '15 & '16, X-Ray XB2 CE, X-Ray T4'15, Hot Bodies D413, Serpent SRX-2, Axial Wraith (full custom Mattzilla Build), Blade 180QXHD
Slapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 12:53 PM   #11820
Tech Adept
 
Pville Stig's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Texas
Posts: 245
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapjack View Post
I pulled the rest of the car apart last night and everything else is in very good condition. And I still don't completely understand what's up with the barrels not fitting in the cv ball at the end of the drive shaft. Its just weird that that piece deformed but I guess if it was jammed into that bearing it could have caused it. The left side was the worst along with the bent hinge pin. The right was slightly tweaked. And I did find a notch out of the left front arm next to the hinge pin. So I am assuming he clipped something with that side and tweaked those parts. But I am redoing the whole setup back to box specs. so I will catch any other issues that may have been caused. But so far the rest looks good.

Just a couple quick questions.
1. the internal ratio on the XB4'16 is 2.5 right? I am thinking I'll start with 13.5T and get the center diff (81T spur) and start somewhere around 7.0-8.0 ratio.. sound about right?

2. I am going to run on clay so I ordered some medium side braces. Do you think I should also get the medium center chasis braces or stick with the hard for now and see how the center diff and med side braces do? then go from there.
I use Ethan Lefebvre's setup on the xray site as a starting point. Gearing is going to depend on how big or small/tight your track is. You might want to get the car up and running on the track before making any big changes. These cars are very good right out of the box.
__________________
RC America/XRAY
LRP America
AKA Products
Pville Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
EP buggies thread sim600 Malaysian R/C Racers 3586 03-30-2016 11:53 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 06:06 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net