R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree38Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-10-2016, 01:11 PM   #11641
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Antelope Valley, CA
Posts: 4,730
Trader Rating: 478 (100%+)
Default

I called RCAmerica and they said 2 specific things about the next car. 1) It'll be a few months and 2) there will not be substantial changes.
__________________
Now that I've discovered the ignore list I plan to use it.....14 and counting!
QDRHRSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 05:17 AM   #11642
Tech Addict
 
Maxxingout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 719
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
I called RCAmerica and they said 2 specific things about the next car. 1) It'll be a few months and 2) there will not be substantial changes.
So does that mean that mean that if one buys a '16 they won't feel shafted on not waiting for the '17? As in the minor changes to the new car won't be that much $$ to get the '16 up to spec? On other brands, when changes happen, it could cost someone up to $100 or more to get there last yr model car up to spec. A few months wait is worth that kind of coin savings. If it's considerably less then no big deal.

Also after looking on 5 different websites, the '16 is out of stock. Maybe waiting for the '17 is the only option.
__________________
Tekno EB48.4, Hobbywing XR8Plus-1900kv
Tekno ET48.3, Tekin Gen2-T8-1900kv
Maxxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 06:18 AM   #11643
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 780
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

RC American told me the same thing - they said it may come with a few option parts that the team runs but it most likely will be little to no changes of the actual design. I doubt buying the 16 car will be any mistake at all.
__________________
| XRAY XB8E 16' | XRAY XB4 16' | XRAY XB2 CE 17' |
| New England | RCE | RCM |
lyons238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 11:58 AM   #11644
Tech Elite
 
kuruption's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Southeast PA
Posts: 2,118
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to kuruption
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxingout View Post
So does that mean that mean that if one buys a '16 they won't feel shafted on not waiting for the '17? As in the minor changes to the new car won't be that much $$ to get the '16 up to spec? On other brands, when changes happen, it could cost someone up to $100 or more to get there last yr model car up to spec. A few months wait is worth that kind of coin savings. If it's considerably less then no big deal.

Also after looking on 5 different websites, the '16 is out of stock. Maybe waiting for the '17 is the only option.
This could be the case with Xray too, but doesn't sound like it is happening with the XB4.

Most likely, in this particular case, it's an "incremental" release. This is a term I use... it means that if you bought a 2016 and purchased option parts since its release, you will essentially have a 2017 model. There may be a few extra things that have yet to be released as options prior to the 2017 release, but they will be made available as separate parts like everything else.

Xray did this a couple times with the T4 in recent memory.

This is as opposed to when they start making substantial changes to geometry of the arms, of the chassis and body, etc. It doesn't look like that is happening this time.

With that in mind, you may want to wait until the 2017 if you plan to buy NIB... however, if you can find a used XB4 w/ many of the options on it, then you could save some cash this route even if you need to make some purchases to catch up later.
__________________
Ray Sundland
Eat. Sleep. Race. Repeat.
"Feel not as though it is a sphere we live on, rather an infinite plane which has the illusion of leading yourself back to a point of origin."
kuruption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 01:00 PM   #11645
Tech Addict
 
Maxxingout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 719
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Yes I was planning on buying new. I guess I can wait a little longer.
Maxxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 04:29 PM   #11646
Tech Champion
 
tony montana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Leonardtown Md.
Posts: 6,117
Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Default

I was told the 17 car is being released this coming week
__________________
K.C. Guy. Team Xray - rc america
tony montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 06:19 AM   #11647
Tech Adept
 
arydstedt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 140
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Hey
Anyone interested in an original xb4 13? I was thinking of bringing it back out, but I thought Id see if anyone is still running it. I don't have saddle packs anymore, but I have an insane amount of parts and wheels.....
arydstedt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 08:44 AM   #11648
Tech Regular
 
hoyt1967's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Grand Forks, ND
Posts: 322
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Couple issues over the racing weekend with my 16. I'm running Martins setup with no down stop shims, I had a front axle pop out of the outdrive. So with no down stops would this be most likely the cause? I dont see many setups with no shims there so I think I may put 2mm back in.

Also on the ECS driveshafts, I had issues with both rear coming apart. I need a new coupling pin and see they have indents in them. Are they available seperate? Also are these more prone to problems with so many more moving parts? I may swap out the rears with the stockers and leave the ECS in the front. I'd like to hear some feedback on them.
hoyt1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 09:16 AM   #11649
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 780
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyt1967 View Post
Couple issues over the racing weekend with my 16. I'm running Martins setup with no down stop shims, I had a front axle pop out of the outdrive. So with no down stops would this be most likely the cause? I dont see many setups with no shims there so I think I may put 2mm back in.

Also on the ECS driveshafts, I had issues with both rear coming apart. I need a new coupling pin and see they have indents in them. Are they available seperate? Also are these more prone to problems with so many more moving parts? I may swap out the rears with the stockers and leave the ECS in the front. I'd like to hear some feedback on them.
proper building is key:

1. loctite set screws
2. let loctite dry before applying any grease
3. shrink wrap entire outer barrel just over the edges
4. check and maintain frequently
__________________
| XRAY XB8E 16' | XRAY XB4 16' | XRAY XB2 CE 17' |
| New England | RCE | RCM |
lyons238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 11:13 AM   #11650
Tech Regular
 
hoyt1967's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Grand Forks, ND
Posts: 322
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyons238 View Post
proper building is key:

1. loctite set screws
2. let loctite dry before applying any grease
3. shrink wrap entire outer barrel just over the edges
4. check and maintain frequently
So Lyons, do you use them? I dont see many setup sheets showing the pro's use them, fronts at times but rarely the rear.
hoyt1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 02:28 PM   #11651
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 2,036
Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyt1967 View Post
Couple issues over the racing weekend with my 16. I'm running Martins setup with no down stop shims, I had a front axle pop out of the outdrive. So with no down stops would this be most likely the cause? I dont see many setups with no shims there so I think I may put 2mm back in.

Also on the ECS driveshafts, I had issues with both rear coming apart. I need a new coupling pin and see they have indents in them. Are they available seperate? Also are these more prone to problems with so many more moving parts? I may swap out the rears with the stockers and leave the ECS in the front. I'd like to hear some feedback on them.
upward travel could cause them to pop out as well.. are you using ECS shafts up front? if so.. did you order the correct length.. another thing to think of.. flex in the arms could cause it as well.. landing on a jump.. at full compression.. and flex in the arm could cause them to popout..

ECS shafts in the rear.. i never really cared for that.. too much maintenence for ECS in the rear.. i would use stock shafts in the rear..
__________________
Daniel Grobe
----------------------
Sponsors:
Proline Racing / RC America / Xray
dgrobe2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 03:10 PM   #11652
Tech Regular
 
hoyt1967's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Grand Forks, ND
Posts: 322
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrobe2112 View Post
upward travel could cause them to pop out as well.. are you using ECS shafts up front? if so.. did you order the correct length.. another thing to think of.. flex in the arms could cause it as well.. landing on a jump.. at full compression.. and flex in the arm could cause them to popout..

ECS shafts in the rear.. i never really cared for that.. too much maintenence for ECS in the rear.. i would use stock shafts in the rear..
Yes on the ECS in the front. They are the correct shaft 81mm. It only happened once, just curious if there was anything I should look at to prevent it.

Agree the rear ECS are coming off, I think I will keep the fronts. I did not assemble them originally so I will take the steps Lyons suggested when building them. So use heat shrink on the outer barrel on the front shafts too?

Thanks for the help!
hoyt1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 11:56 PM   #11653
Boz
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Australia
Posts: 961
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by QDRHRSE View Post
I called RCAmerica and they said 2 specific things about the next car. 1) It'll be a few months and 2) there will not be substantial changes.
I could tell you more, but I'm not allowed.
__________________
Chris Bozich
Xray XB8 XB4 XB2
Futaba 4PX and servo's
Powered by Nosram motors and FX engines.
Many thanks to HEI and Perth RC for their support over the years.
Boz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 02:27 AM   #11654
Tech Elite
 
Lonestar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 2,342
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boz View Post
I could tell you more, but I'm not allowed.
__________________
When the flag drops, the BS stops.

The train stops at the train station. The bus stops at the bus station. In my office I have a workstation.
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 04:53 AM   #11655
Tech Addict
 
Djchow85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Sydney
Posts: 606
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Has anyone had the centre brace that goes around the spur crack on them from a crash? I was surprised mine cracked but then it makes sense having done some spectacular crashes... Possibly also because when I screwed it down it was slightly out of alignment and maybe added extra stress

On a different note for those running on low to medium clay... I tried 500k in the middle. I was highly skeptical but it seemed alright or maybe even better than 100k. Running 7/5 but I feel the rear is a tad loose in some areas so will try 7/7

Also running rear blockades and front square armours as I don't have any bar tyres
__________________
Lancer Corolla 3 Impreza
Djchow85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
EP buggies thread sim600 Malaysian R/C Racers 3586 03-30-2016 11:53 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 02:08 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net