R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree36Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-22-2016, 08:40 AM   #11371
Tech Master
 
suby723's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Spring Hill Tennessee
Posts: 1,377
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Anything less then a 5.5t is not enough! Motor up!
suby723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 09:32 AM   #11372
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 34
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suby723 View Post
Anything less then a 5.5t is not enough! Motor up!
How often do you have to change spur gears with that motor? Do they (spur) hold up well with the gear diff?
cyclebrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 09:47 AM   #11373
Tech Fanatic
 
Rodarbal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Cedar Park, TX
Posts: 901
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Rodarbal
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie372 View Post
I have just purchased an XB4 2016 , for my son to run . He races in 17.5 is there any smaller spur gears that can be ran with the slipper setup ?
Cheers for any info provided..
There is a 75T spur gear available for the slipper. I think it's XRay p/n 365875. If not, then it's 365775.
__________________
RJ Labrador
Off Road Big: Mugen, Mugen & Mugen
Off Road Little: Losi & XRay
Rodarbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 09:48 AM   #11374
Tech Addict
 
suzukipro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: WI
Posts: 733
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Anyone else notice that the ECS shafts require a high level of service and still wear out extremely fast. I've cleaned and re-greased them every other race day and even though the pins wear first they are wearing out the drive shaft cases as well. At this point I am considering going back to the standard shafts and have already done so in the rear.
__________________
Eric
________________________________________________________________________
Tekno, XRAY, Team Associated & Traxxas Powered by SMC.
Innovative Hobbies Raceway, Flyin-High RC Track
suzukipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 08:26 PM   #11375
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 3
Default

Can finally join the ranks, got a 2015 with some nice upgrades for a cheapish price (less than half of a kit with no upgrades). Overall in very good condition. Alu rear hubs, chassis stiffeners, center diff, three sets of rims+tires etc.

Now there's mainly the painful wait for the electronics to arrive, going to start mild with a 13,5T as I have little experience with these, used to fly planes some years ago... Recently I've been driving a really old RS4 MT (got it for free) and I have no spareparts for it.

I've taken it apart a bit and found one problem, one of the center diff screws is so tight that my key starts to slip. My options are probably to find a high quality 1,5mm hex key and hope for the best or get a 1/16" key and file it down until I can just get it to fit. Or try to dremel it to fit a screw driver. Diff works and feels good so there's no panic yet, I also got the slipper.

Driveshaft pins are recently changed too but is there a cheaper tool available than the Hudy one?
Attached Thumbnails
Xray XB4 thread-image.jpg  
Joonatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 10:14 PM   #11376
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 131
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

thanks guys , yeh in Australia 4wd stock is 17.5..
__________________
Major Financial Sponsor of https://www.facebook.com/AdenYoungRc/
XRAY , HEI , PROLINE , MUCHMORE
TQ & 3rd 2016 Victorian State Titles Junior Stock 2wd
XRAY XB2 , XRAY XB4 2016 & XRAY T4 2016
aussie372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 04:23 AM   #11377
Tech Master
 
suby723's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Spring Hill Tennessee
Posts: 1,377
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclebrkr View Post
How often do you have to change spur gears with that motor? Do they (spur) hold up well with the gear diff?
I still am on my original spur and I've had the 16 car for almost a year now.
suby723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 05:50 AM   #11378
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 787
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclebrkr View Post
How often do you have to change spur gears with that motor? Do they (spur) hold up well with the gear diff?
i havent changed one yet. a proper mesh is all you need.
__________________
| XRAY XB8E 16' | XRAY XB4 16' | XRAY XB2 CE 17' |
| New England | RCE | RCM |
lyons238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 06:39 AM   #11379
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Victoria B.C Canada
Posts: 389
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joonatin View Post
Can finally join the ranks, got a 2015 with some nice upgrades for a cheapish price (less than half of a kit with no upgrades). Overall in very good condition. Alu rear hubs, chassis stiffeners, center diff, three sets of rims+tires etc.

Now there's mainly the painful wait for the electronics to arrive, going to start mild with a 13,5T as I have little experience with these, used to fly planes some years ago... Recently I've been driving a really old RS4 MT (got it for free) and I have no spareparts for it.

I've taken it apart a bit and found one problem, one of the center diff screws is so tight that my key starts to slip. My options are probably to find a high quality 1,5mm hex key and hope for the best or get a 1/16" key and file it down until I can just get it to fit. Or try to dremel it to fit a screw driver. Diff works and feels good so there's no panic yet, I also got the slipper.

Driveshaft pins are recently changed too but is there a cheaper tool available than the Hudy one?
maybe you need to heat the screws as they might have lock tight on them.
__________________
Gorden
light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 08:01 AM   #11380
Tech Regular
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Orange County CA
Posts: 261
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

If an MIP driver won't work, nothing will.
scoobyrs25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 09:46 AM   #11381
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 787
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobyrs25 View Post
If an MIP driver won't work, nothing will.
yeah MIP drivers have the squarest most tight fit i've used. i have hudy drivers and i prefer MIP for that reason, Hudy are super nice but the tips are rounded off a tad.

BUT if worst comes to worse...use a dremel and cut a groove into the head and use a flathead screwdriver to unscrew it...
__________________
| XRAY XB8E 16' | XRAY XB4 16' | XRAY XB2 CE 17' |
| New England | RCE | RCM |
lyons238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 11:07 AM   #11382
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 3
Default

Seems like I'll have to try dremeling next. A better 1,5mm didn't work after which I sanded down a 1/16" for a reeeally tight fit but even that slipped in the end. Just have to be careful with the dremel so I don't cut into the plastic too much.
Joonatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 11:32 AM   #11383
Tech Fanatic
 
Rodarbal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Cedar Park, TX
Posts: 901
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Rodarbal
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joonatin View Post
Seems like I'll have to try dremeling next. A better 1,5mm didn't work after which I sanded down a 1/16" for a reeeally tight fit but even that slipped in the end. Just have to be careful with the dremel so I don't cut into the plastic too much.
I ended up getting pretty good at Dremeling slots into screws over the years. I've done countless screws on my Associated buggies. Take your time, have a steady hand and use a thin cutting disk.
__________________
RJ Labrador
Off Road Big: Mugen, Mugen & Mugen
Off Road Little: Losi & XRay
Rodarbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 01:54 PM   #11384
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 787
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodarbal View Post
I ended up getting pretty good at Dremeling slots into screws over the years. I've done countless screws on my Associated buggies. Take your time, have a steady hand and use a thin cutting disk.
yes exactly, also not to go to deep on a small head or the head will pop off and you'll be stuck drilling it out next and buying new diff casings.

ALSO when you do cut the line in the head. MAKE SURE you find a screw driver that fits the line well and do not rush this. push down pretty firm (not crazy hard) and turn slowly. a few slips and your line is stripped.

ever since i got MIP drivers and i replace screws regularly, i've never had a problem. also i NEVER over tighten plastics, once you become familiar with your car you know when that is.
__________________
| XRAY XB8E 16' | XRAY XB4 16' | XRAY XB2 CE 17' |
| New England | RCE | RCM |
lyons238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 12:25 AM   #11385
Tech Addict
 
bd581's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, NSW
Posts: 584
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie372 View Post
I have just purchased an XB4 2016 , for my son to run . He races in 17.5 is there any smaller spur gears that can be ran with the slipper setup ?
Cheers for any info provided..
The 75T spur will work, best if you have a high rpm motor.
Best alternative is to get a '15 spec slipper setup (2 pad) and drill out an Associated 69T spur to fit. Opens up your gearing choices. With a 75T spur, you can only fit up to a 33T pinion.

For anyone's interest regarding 17.5 in a 4WD buggy. At the recent New South Wales, Australian state titles, the fastest 17.5 drivers race times would have made A main in modified.
__________________
Brad
Xray T4 '16, Xray X1, Tamiya M05 Ver.II Pro.
X-ray XB4 '16, TLR 22 3.0, TLR/Exotek 22T 2.0, Mugen MBX7R Eco.
bd581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
EP buggies thread sim600 Malaysian R/C Racers 3586 03-30-2016 11:53 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 3 (1 members and 2 guests)
flysullivan
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 07:28 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net