R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree38Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-07-2016, 03:29 AM   #11326
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Brookhaven PA
Posts: 458
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Thanks for the help, can't wait to hit the track with this beast.
BiLL77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:17 AM   #11327
Tech Adept
 
EJ2civic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 164
Default

With the '14's and '15's, have any of you thought about a brace for the front shock tower to help prevent breakage of the front bulkhead? What I mean is, some sort of brace similar to the HB D413 front end.
__________________
LOSI TEN SCTE(Powered by SMC RACING/HOBBYWING-NOVAK)*TLR SCTE 2.0(Powered by SMC RACING/HOBBYWING-NOVAK)*2017 XRAY XB4(Powered by PRO-MATCH RACING/HOBBYWING)*Wild Turbo Fans*BACH Racing*MRH Racing*AbsoluteHobbyz
EJ2civic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:27 AM   #11328
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 95
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ2civic View Post
With the '14's and '15's, have any of you thought about a brace for the front shock tower to help prevent breakage of the front bulkhead? What I mean is, some sort of brace similar to the HB D413 front end.
is this an issue for anyone anymore? I haven't broken a bulkhead since the first version on the '13. I have had every year of the car, on only broke one rev 1 part on my '13.
ericschlaifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:31 AM   #11329
Tech Adept
 
EJ2civic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 164
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericschlaifer View Post
is this an issue for anyone anymore? I haven't broken a bulkhead since the first version on the '13. I have had every year of the car, on only broke one rev 1 part on my '13.
I guess it is for me since Im new to the 4wd buggy platform. That and I race indoor carpet and the track has 3" PVC for rails. Seems I need to learn how to drive since most of my race experience has been in the 4wd SCT class.
__________________
LOSI TEN SCTE(Powered by SMC RACING/HOBBYWING-NOVAK)*TLR SCTE 2.0(Powered by SMC RACING/HOBBYWING-NOVAK)*2017 XRAY XB4(Powered by PRO-MATCH RACING/HOBBYWING)*Wild Turbo Fans*BACH Racing*MRH Racing*AbsoluteHobbyz
EJ2civic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 10:16 AM   #11330
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 95
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ2civic View Post
I guess it is for me since Im new to the 4wd buggy platform. That and I race indoor carpet and the track has 3" PVC for rails. Seems I need to learn how to drive since most of my race experience has been in the 4wd SCT class.
Gotcha. Well, nothing is unbreakable and if you brace one area all it does is transfer the force to the next weak link. I'd rather break a cheap bulkhead than an expensive carbon tower. I've raced bluegroove, outdoor wet track, and indoor clay with pvc and other types of pipes. Bulkheads are not really a common break in my experience. I raced 4wd SCT years ago, doesn't really promote the best driving habits . Best advice I can give you is keep it shiny side up and work on your driving. Possibly slow the car down until you are more comfortable with the handling. The XB4 is by far the most durable car in the class, but I know hard carpet tracks are not the most forgiving when you crash really hard. Best of luck to you!
ericschlaifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 10:42 AM   #11331
Tech Adept
 
EJ2civic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 164
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericschlaifer View Post
Gotcha. Well, nothing is unbreakable and if you brace one area all it does is transfer the force to the next weak link. I'd rather break a cheap bulkhead than an expensive carbon tower. I've raced bluegroove, outdoor wet track, and indoor clay with pvc and other types of pipes. Bulkheads are not really a common break in my experience. I raced 4wd SCT years ago, doesn't really promote the best driving habits . Best advice I can give you is keep it shiny side up and work on your driving. Possibly slow the car down until you are more comfortable with the handling. The XB4 is by far the most durable car in the class, but I know hard carpet tracks are not the most forgiving when you crash really hard. Best of luck to you!
Thank you sir..... I mean Im not horrible with the buggy. I can hold my own in the class at my track. I just have to realize that the buggy can out turn my TLR SCTE 2.0 on the same track. Im still fine tuning the car to my liking. Just have to practice more.
__________________
LOSI TEN SCTE(Powered by SMC RACING/HOBBYWING-NOVAK)*TLR SCTE 2.0(Powered by SMC RACING/HOBBYWING-NOVAK)*2017 XRAY XB4(Powered by PRO-MATCH RACING/HOBBYWING)*Wild Turbo Fans*BACH Racing*MRH Racing*AbsoluteHobbyz
EJ2civic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 12:30 PM   #11332
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 95
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzracer View Post
I know, but honestly i dont get to drive enough to really even notice what most changes do to the car, i just do a little research before i build and then just learn to drive the car how it is. I really have zero complaints on how the car handled, and i am only running a 13.5 so i know i'm nowhere near the cars potential anyway. As i get more wheel time i might try the thicker center fluid as i have seen a lot of people recommending that weight. Either way, for its first time out i am super impressed with the car!
I've been running the XB4's since the '13 was released. Great platform! my advice to you is if you are going to run the center diff at Rainman's use the 1,000,000 diff fluid. Anything else and you're just spinning the front tires and losing forward momentum. I tried 500k at HRH (outdoor wet track) and felt it was a bit soft, but still driveable. But, IMO with a 13.5 you should not be using the center diff at all on medium/high bite tracks. Just robbing power that you need with such a small motor. If you ever make it out to SCVRC, I can help you tune the car in. We also stock just about any part you can think of for the car, so it may be worth the trip for you. If you know Andrew maybe you can ride out with him. He comes out from time to time.
ericschlaifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 12:39 PM   #11333
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,052
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzracer View Post
I know, but honestly i dont get to drive enough to really even notice what most changes do to the car, i just do a little research before i build and then just learn to drive the car how it is. I really have zero complaints on how the car handled, and i am only running a 13.5 so i know i'm nowhere near the cars potential anyway. As i get more wheel time i might try the thicker center fluid as i have seen a lot of people recommending that weight. Either way, for its first time out i am super impressed with the car!
if it works just let it eat bud.

As for the hopups... you don't need them in the vast majority its more bling or tunability.

If anything, out of the gate I would recommend the aluminum drive shaft collars and schelle pistons. after that its tune to taste.
__________________
Leon McIntosh
PRO-LINE--XRAY--RCAmerica--FX Engines--NitroPro Fuel--Kustom R/C Graphics--Schelle Racing

******* DialedSetups.com ****** Check it out!!!!!
punkracer24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 12:52 PM   #11334
Tech Regular
 
xyzracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: bakersfield
Posts: 370
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericschlaifer View Post
I've been running the XB4's since the '13 was released. Great platform! my advice to you is if you are going to run the center diff at Rainman's use the 1,000,000 diff fluid. Anything else and you're just spinning the front tires and losing forward momentum. I tried 500k at HRH (outdoor wet track) and felt it was a bit soft, but still driveable. But, IMO with a 13.5 you should not be using the center diff at all on medium/high bite tracks. Just robbing power that you need with such a small motor. If you ever make it out to SCVRC, I can help you tune the car in. We also stock just about any part you can think of for the car, so it may be worth the trip for you. If you know Andrew maybe you can ride out with him. He comes out from time to time.
Thanks, thats good to know! my son and i have Been down to scvrc a couple of times and really like the track, definitely plan on getting down there soon and will look for you.
xyzracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 01:02 PM   #11335
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 95
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzracer View Post
Thanks, thats good to know! my son and i have Been down to scvrc a couple of times and really like the track, definitely plan on getting down there soon and will look for you.
Awesome, glad you like the facility! I am here every day except for Saturday, but if you are planning on coming out for a practice day I can stop in to help you out. Just let me know you're coming out ahead of time! If you post your setup I can help you possibly tune it in a little bit better for your track.
ericschlaifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 02:32 PM   #11336
Tech Regular
 
Poppin Fresh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NY NY
Posts: 329
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentKa View Post
'15 arms will fit on the '16 no problem.

But the '16 arms have different geometry for the shock mounting.
Shocks are mounted further outwards on the arms to match the new geometry of the shock towers. This aids in a smoother and more efficient suspension especially when running lower ride heights.
Front shocks are also mounted more to the front to gain overall steering.

The '15 side guards (which are a medium composite) will fit the '16 chassis (which uses hard composite as standard).

The chassis are not the same though as the entire slipper/center diff have been moved forward on the '16. So to use the '16 chassis you will need new center drive shafts and chassis braces.

Hope this helps

Bent
Thank you Bent. I'm going forward and updating the arms, shocks and towers.
__________________
"Nothin says luvin like fresh baked muffins, woohoo!"

Cruizin With R/C, RCBZ, Xray, Hudy, Novarossi USA, Futaba, Avid RC
Poppin Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 12:02 PM   #11337
Tech Elite
 
JFuel11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Central IL
Posts: 3,583
Trader Rating: 152 (100%+)
Default

Hello,

I have a 2015 XB4 and wanted to know what hex I use to convert from 14mm to 12mm wheels and then what wheels would I use on it please?

Thanks for the help.
__________________
Alan Bachman (AKA - Johnny Rocket Fuel)
Help your fellow racers go faster... You will have more competition!!!
Sponsors:
RC America - XRay - Hudy - Maclan Racing - Xpert Servos - Schelle Racing Innovations - AKA Racing Products - DE Racing - Sticky Kicks - Sanwa
JFuel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 12:57 PM   #11338
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 312
Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default

you would use a 12mm hex and 12mm wheels..... IS this a trick question?
DustinEich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 02:40 PM   #11339
Tech Elite
 
JFuel11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Central IL
Posts: 3,583
Trader Rating: 152 (100%+)
Default Wow... Thank you!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinEich View Post
you would use a 12mm hex and 12mm wheels..... IS this a trick question?
I was looking for a little more detailed information above and beyond the very obvious please.


What offset hex in front and rear and what offset wheels do I use for it? B5 offset wheels on back? B44.3 offset wheels in the front? A little more detail would go a long ways in providing a good answer.

Was looking for what others may have done? I currently have a huge stock of B5/B6 rear wheels, would be nice to be able to leverage those if possible.

Any real help would be appreciated...
__________________
Alan Bachman (AKA - Johnny Rocket Fuel)
Help your fellow racers go faster... You will have more competition!!!
Sponsors:
RC America - XRay - Hudy - Maclan Racing - Xpert Servos - Schelle Racing Innovations - AKA Racing Products - DE Racing - Sticky Kicks - Sanwa
JFuel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 02:44 PM   #11340
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 312
Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default

I just used 5mm front and 7mm rear with associated wheels.... Works for my needs, but i mostly run the 14mm rims because i have a ton of em...
DustinEich is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
EP buggies thread sim600 Malaysian R/C Racers 3586 03-30-2016 11:53 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 01:34 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net