Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree39Likes

Old 07-08-2016, 09:13 AM   #11161
Tech Regular
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyons238 View Post
yeah i already did this multiple times, to no avail.

thats not a terrible idea. ill just have to be careful that I don't mess up the hex and not be able to remove it.
It didn't take much at all. I think it took less than a millimeter off.
scoobyrs25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:16 AM   #11162
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
really? my slipper is set to 0mm (all the way loose) and I NEVER hear it slip with a 5.5t motor on carpet and clay...

taking the slipper apart shows very very minimal and light scuffing. it's noticeably barely ever slipping. and since i never hear it im sure it only slips for a split second.
With the 14 XB4 the slipper spring is likely weaker than those of you with the 16 car. I was fighting high temp issues and every gearing change up & down resulted in the same high temps until I tightened up my slipper a bit.
Innovative Hobbies Raceway, Flyin-High RC Track
suzukipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 11:08 AM   #11163
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
I wouldn't recommend this servo horn. There is a 5mm gap from the output gear to the end of that servo horn. You want the steering link to run perfectly straight from the servo horn to the servo savor/mount point on the steering arm/rack. This 5mm gap would make you have to run a number of spacers between the servo horn and the ball stud as I already have to run spacers even with a much flatter servo horn. Also if you're using a Savox servo or a Hitec servo where the output gear is further forward relative to the servo mounting tabs, than that will further embellish this issue.

Show a pic of your steering link relative to your servo horn and servo savor. does it run perfectly square across or is it angled?
I have had no issue with the arm or the angle. Works great...
LAGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 11:09 AM   #11164
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
who uses a center gear diff on their xb4 16? the screws that hold the spur gear on the center gear diff rub on the inner motor mount screw. i tried shimming it a bit but it still rubs. has anyone else experienced this? is this normal?

i was considering buying a counter sink bit, counter sinking the inner motor mount screw hole and using a flat head screw...thoughts?
I've used center gear diff since day 1 racing the car. No issues.
LAGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 06:22 AM   #11165
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobyrs25 View Post
It didn't take much at all. I think it took less than a millimeter off.
yeah i know it doesn't rub very much at all. im wondering if some batches had a tolerance issue, while others may not. it's very close an like you said 1mm can be the difference of rubbing or not. also i feel as though some may not even notice that they are rubbing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzukipro View Post
With the 14 XB4 the slipper spring is likely weaker than those of you with the 16 car. I was fighting high temp issues and every gearing change up & down resulted in the same high temps until I tightened up my slipper a bit.
yeah the 16' must be stiffer because a number of people, even bentka said they run theirs at 0-1mm with a 4.5t-5.5t motor on high bite astro...seems a bit odd to me they would't give us a more usable adjustment window...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAGuy View Post
I have had no issue with the arm or the angle. Works great...
do you have any pics of the arm itself showing the able it lies at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAGuy View Post
I've used center gear diff since day 1 racing the car. No issues.
as i stated above, i think it's either some batches had a slight tolerance issue, while others did not because 1mm will make all the difference. that and some people probably don't even notice it. it's just a slight rub, but still odd and unacceptable IMO..
Old 07-13-2016, 10:02 PM   #11166
JAE
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default Medium grip 13.5 setup

Picked up a used 2016 xb4 setup box stock. Running medium grip clay larger track (ocrc). No X-ray drivers there. I'm running 13.5 with a slipper 35/30 weight oil 4 dot 3 dot. Not sure what fluids are in the diff so. I'm sliding around
Worse than my xb2 carpet car with broken in tires.

What's a good starting setup with diff oil? Also plan on getting medium side rails ASAP. Are they going to make a big difference and Are the other medium parts that impactful? Looking for a starting setup for medium traction. New to 4wd. Thx
JAE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 05:43 AM   #11167
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAE View Post
Picked up a used 2016 xb4 setup box stock. Running medium grip clay larger track (ocrc). No X-ray drivers there. I'm running 13.5 with a slipper 35/30 weight oil 4 dot 3 dot. Not sure what fluids are in the diff so. I'm sliding around

What's a good starting setup with diff oil? Also plan on getting medium side rails ASAP. Are they going to make a big difference and Are the other medium parts that impactful? Looking for a starting setup for medium traction. New to 4wd. Thx
10/10 in th diffs. I have my setup lying around somewhere, I'll try to post it up.
All the xb4s at my track are running it and like it.
Mikes Hobby Shop
symmetricon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:53 AM   #11168
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAE View Post

Change the springs to the 1 dots. I used the medium side guards and center spines and the car has more grip than my ZX6 or YZ4.
Old 07-14-2016, 08:43 AM   #11169
JAE
Tech Master

Thank you both. I would appreciate your setup symmetricon! Thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by symmetricon View Post
10/10 in th diffs. I have my setup lying around somewhere, I'll try to post it up.
All the xb4s at my track are running it and like it.
Old 07-14-2016, 03:52 PM   #11170
Tech Regular

One of the best things I did was drop my rear diff to 1000. Car hooks up better and the rear is more planted.
4s losi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 04:53 PM   #11171
JAE
Tech Master

What oil are you using? It's already chassis slap city for me on flat landings with 35/30 and 4dot 3 dot. 1.6 2 hole pistons.
Quote:
Change the springs to the 1 dots. I used the medium side guards and center spines and the car has more grip than my ZX6 or YZ4.
Old 07-14-2016, 09:46 PM   #11172
Tech Regular

You know, mine slaps a bit too. I'm using the factory oil.
Old 07-14-2016, 10:23 PM   #11173
JAE
Tech Master

Thx - I'll try this along wih symmetricons set up if he posts it . Regarding these larger medium traction clay tracks, are you or anyone increasing droop with longer shock ball links like the new plus 4mm (21mm) XRAY shock ball link? Wonderful this will aid in chassis slap and traction

Quote:
You know, mine slaps a bit too. I'm using the factory oil.
Old 07-14-2016, 10:57 PM   #11174
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

You might take a look at Ethan Lefebvre set up for Thornhill Jr on the Xray site. The closer i get to that exact setup the easier the car is to drive as well as being able to drive more aggressively. No chassis slap. Car is stupid fast. Using the avid pistons and springs along with the shock placement is a big key and the diff fluids.
Pville Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 06:25 PM   #11175
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pville Stig View Post
You might take a look at Ethan Lefebvre set up for Thornhill Jr on the Xray site. The closer i get to that exact setup the easier the car is to drive as well as being able to drive more aggressively. No chassis slap. Car is stupid fast. Using the avid pistons and springs along with the shock placement is a big key and the diff fluids.

I only see a xb4 15spec for Ethan Lefebvre on xrays site. are you running that setup on your 16 spec or is there one on a different site because like i said there isnt a xb4 16 spec for Ethan Lefebvre at thornhill that I could find
randy0025 is offline   Reply With Quote