R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree52Likes

Old 05-25-2016, 12:41 PM   #11056
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAE View Post
Does it inhibit the tight turning radius with 180's on the track?
It depends on how you drive, if you like to brake hard then turn off power then it wont help. If you like to slow down and be on power through the apex it could help.
Mikes Hobby Shop
symmetricon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 10:37 AM   #11057
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by symmetricon View Post
http://site.petitrc.com/setup/HowToSuspensionSetup/

There are plenty more articles that explains how caster affects on power steering.

From the hudy offroad setup manual.
"Camber is all about contact patch – keeping as much tire on the ground as possible.
Camber and caster are related in that caster can afford an amount of EFFECTIVE CAMBER
change when the front wheels are turned in a corner.
Caster has the effect of progressively leaning the front tires into the direction of the
corner. The more the caster angle is laid-back, the greater the effective camber change
when the wheels are turned. This happens because the tops of the wheels BOTH TILT
towards the inside of the corner; the wheels “dig in” more, counteracting the centrifugal
forces pushing the car to the outside."
O yeah I have seen this before and have seen it on other cars but Maybe its just my setup but for my xb4 adding the 12 degree hubs has never helped give me more steering and I know I am not the only one that has said that. Must people are adding them to take away steering and smooth the car out so its not so twichy. but yes on my ebuggy adding more does help give more steering, i just wonder why it doesnt on the xb4 for me and my setup and style of driving which is letting off in a corner and turning rather then breaking hard and turning.
randy0025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 11:56 AM   #11058
Tech Elite

More caster will improve steering midcorner only if the extra camber change allows it.

If the track is hardpacked and the car doesn't roll because it's too stif for the lateral grip available, then you only lose stering on entry, and don't gain anything back.

IMO, usually added camber is the best of both worlds. Smoother on the straights and entry, more mid corner steering. But too often, I use a more average caster setting for aggressive entry.
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 06:43 PM   #11059
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

has anyone driven a 2015 and a 2016. is the 2016 a lot better/worse or the same? any opinions?
rekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 09:21 PM   #11060
Tech Elite

It's absolutely better. But if you run the 4th layout option on the 2015, and get rid of the top decks, you can get close.
Old 05-27-2016, 10:40 PM   #11061
Tech Initiate

Default Caster Block Slop

Just assembled a new XB4 16, I noticed there is a lot of slop in the caster blocks where the king pins go through into the hub. Anyone else have this?
mrlahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 06:08 AM   #11062
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 233 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlahey View Post
Just assembled a new XB4 16, I noticed there is a lot of slop in the caster blocks where the king pins go through into the hub. Anyone else have this?
Did you forget the bushings?
Attached Thumbnails
Xray XB4 thread-screen-shot-2016-05-29-8.06.51-am.png  
rraden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 08:27 PM   #11063
Tech Elite

You can try to drag a xacto knife blade inside the plastic bore. If you can scratch a line in it, it'll raise up and reduce play. Do it in at least three spots.

It's a stupid 1/12th scale trick though. Might be splitting hairs here. Are we talking a little bit of play or "year old Losi" kind of play?
Old 05-31-2016, 12:24 PM   #11064
Tech Initiate

Whats a good pinion to start for a 10.5 Motor?
Stock 81t Main gear.
exage94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:56 AM   #11065
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Never tried 10.5, but I would start with a 25 pinion (8.1 FDR) and go up or down depending on track size.
LAGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 06:09 AM   #11066
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Indoor high bite clay & outdoor loose

RE: wheels

ordering up a new xb4 16'.
Ive been reading through a ton of great info here. Have a few Q''ss

60 mm tires performance gains?

Shaft pin size?

Tks

Last edited by SerpJimmy; 06-03-2016 at 10:32 AM. Reason: tks to brian @ rcamerica
SerpJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:49 AM   #11067
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Xb4 on carpet?

I recently got an xb4 '15 picked up and I'm trying to run it at my local indoor carpet track, cattown hobbies. Most guys have been trying these new foam tires and have got them working decent

https://rc-carpet-muncher.myshopify.com

They really seem to loosen the car up and help it not traction roll, but I just can keep it nailed down. Car is all over the place and the rear end just tries to pass the front half of the time.

Would you guys follow a dirt setup as these foams mimic dirt or still use a carpet setup and change something else? I'm using the saddle configuration with a tekin rsx and gen 2 7.5
dc3504x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 09:59 AM   #11068
JAE
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I'm finally installing electronics in my xb4 today. I've only driven one once for 1 minute. Coming from 2wd buggy, I noticed the xb4 I drove had about twice the steering. It was ridiculous compared to what I was expecting. For driving on high bite clay, is everyone dialing out some steering on their radios? Any tips for radio epa/dual rate setup would be helpful. I have a 4px. Thx in advance....! QUOTE=dc3504x4;14552896]I recently got an xb4 '15 picked up and I'm trying to run it at my local indoor carpet track, cattown hobbies. Most guys have been trying these new foam tires and have got them working decent

They really seem to loosen the car up and help it not traction roll, but I just can keep it nailed down. Car is all over the place and the rear end just tries to pass the front half of the time.

Would you guys follow a dirt setup as these foams mimic dirt or still use a carpet setup and change something else? I'm using the saddle configuration with a tekin rsx and gen 2 7.5[/QUOTE]
JAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 11:15 AM   #11069
Tech Elite

Quote:
I'm finally installing electronics in my xb4 today. I've only driven one once for 1 minute. Coming from 2wd buggy, I noticed the xb4 I drove had about twice the steering. It was ridiculous compared to what I was expecting. For driving on high bite clay, is everyone dialing out some steering on their radios? Any tips for radio epa/dual rate setup would be helpful. I have a 4px. Thx in advance....! QUOTE=dc3504x4;14552896]I recently got an xb4 '15 picked up and I'm trying to run it at my local indoor carpet track, cattown hobbies. Most guys have been trying these new foam tires and have got them working decent

Would you guys follow a dirt setup as these foams mimic dirt or still use a carpet setup and change something else? I'm using the saddle configuration with a tekin rsx and gen 2 7.5
[/QUOTE]

I like as much steering as I can get. Have you tried Bruno's carpet Worlds setup?
Mikes Hobby Shop
symmetricon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:13 PM   #11070
Tech Elite

Quote:

[/QUOTE]

Depending on track and car setup, I usually run 70 to 90 percent dual rate. Most of the time my car is undriveable at 100 percent dual rate.