R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree45Likes

Old 04-29-2016, 01:42 PM   #10951
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyons238 View Post
what are ya'll running for motors/gearing?

Im running a 5.5t motor with 18/81.

People have been saying that might be geared a little high. would it be smarter to go with 19 / 84?
22/81 on a Tekin gen2 6.5, running mostly on astro tracks, some tight, some not so much.
X-Factory UK / Carisma Racing/ Corally/ Vampire Racing /TEKIN/ AVID/ JConcepts / Lunsford / Exotek Racing / Hiro Seiko / RDRP / GRP Tyres/ Tuning Haus/ DMSPARTZ / McKune/ RCS Graphic Workz / WTF / DMS Racing / Model Junction
John Myall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 01:54 PM   #10952
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Im looking to run 12mm wheels so trying to figure out which Exotek hexes I need to keep the stock track width. Anyone know how wide the stock front and rear hexes are ?

Timezone I & II | RoseCityScaleRacing | Premier RC Raceway
Photocycler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 02:19 PM   #10953
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photocycler View Post
Im looking to run 12mm wheels so trying to figure out which Exotek hexes I need to keep the stock track width. Anyone know how wide the stock front and rear hexes are ?
1st page bro.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:37 PM   #10954
Tech Fanatic

i have some questions can someone help an XRAY newbie out?

1. my front crown gear coming out of the diff where it meats the driveshaft has more play than the rear. has anyone else noticed this? it also seems that because of this when i push it in toward the diff, the gear mesh tightens up and binds a slight bit. the rear seems perfect, minimal play. i did try tightening the screw down th center of the driveshaft holding the crown gear.

2. has anyone tried using trakpower dry wax lubricant on their driveshaft joints and gear mesh? wondering if this would (a) last and (b) be sufficient lube and prevent binding as compared to black graphite grease

3. what is the most durable crown and diff bevel gear setup? graphite, composit, or steel? im assuming steel?

4. can i remove the rubber shield on the bearings and grease/oil myself? the two small bearings on the outside of the crown gear in the same spot as i mentioned above with the play are gritty after only 3 battery packs on carpet...should i use hudy bearing oil as per manual, or grease?
Old 04-29-2016, 08:31 PM   #10955
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

1 - im a bit confused but maybe there is more wear there so you can shim the diff slightly if needed. not sure the part number for these shims but they are out there.

2 - yes.. pretty good stuff. not sure if was here or in the 2wd thread but there was a good conversation about other greases and lubes that work for this.... i remember something about moly grease???

3 - steel

4 - yes, I do this when I clean the bearings and use a synthetic motor oil but any good bearing oil should work.

******* DialedSetups.com ****** Check it out!!!!!
punkracer24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:32 PM   #10956
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkracer24 View Post
1 - im a bit confused but maybe there is more wear there so you can shim the diff slightly if needed. not sure the part number for these shims but they are out there.

2 - yes.. pretty good stuff. not sure if was here or in the 2wd thread but there was a good conversation about other greases and lubes that work for this.... i remember something about moly grease???

3 - steel

4 - yes, I do this when I clean the bearings and use a synthetic motor oil but any good bearing oil should work.
i forgot to mention. the buggy is brand new. when i built it it didnt seem like much play. but after 4 battery packs now it is. i did have some hard landings and a head on collision with a parked SCT on the long straight SMH...
Old 04-30-2016, 10:40 AM   #10957
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
i forgot to mention. the buggy is brand new. when i built it it didnt seem like much play. but after 4 battery packs now it is. i did have some hard landings and a head on collision with a parked SCT on the long straight SMH...

take the diff case off and check the screw that goes right in the middle of the top of the gear that holds it onto the driveshaft. Make sure its tight with locktight. I have had mine back up before which will cause there to be play and also will cause the gears to strip, even with lock-tight it has happened is it didnt seal right
randy0025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 01:56 PM   #10958
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy0025 View Post
take the diff case off and check the screw that goes right in the middle of the top of the gear that holds it onto the driveshaft. Make sure its tight with locktight. I have had mine back up before which will cause there to be play and also will cause the gears to strip, even with lock-tight it has happened is it didnt seal right
I said I did that. it looks like the bearings pressed into the bulkeads a VERY VERY small amount. probably like .08-.1mm TOPS no way that makes for the 1-2mm of play in my front center driveshaft.

Not sure what else it could be....

Those small bearings are kinda ruined as well, the balls got flattened or something.

Took them apart and cleaned them and even reset the race and their still crunchy.

Last edited by lyons238; 04-30-2016 at 03:38 PM.
lyons238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 04:36 PM   #10959
Tech Elite

Replace the bearings. I pop out the seals with an Exacto knife. Then I drag the bearing across the palm of my grease covered hand. It's packed when grease squirts out the other side. Rotate to get the entire bearing except for one little spot, you have to leave room for air, otherwise the seals will pop back out as soon as the bearing gets hot.

The POS Xray 808 gearcases and pinions made me a bearing expert, real quick.
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 07:53 PM   #10960
Tech Fanatic

no one else has an idea about the front center driveshaft play?
Old 05-01-2016, 08:51 PM   #10961
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 124 (100%+)

Quote:
no one else has an idea about the front center driveshaft play?
Take a quick video and post on YT. Change out the diff case is all I got...
timannnn6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 04:10 AM   #10962
Tech Elite

There's no binding, so why bother?

Gears aren't going to push themselves together, only apart. You could shim the pinion back so you can't press it in, if it really bothers you.
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 01:01 PM   #10963
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Hard to diagnose something without seeing what is going on.

******* DialedSetups.com ****** Check it out!!!!!
punkracer24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 02:05 PM   #10964
Tech Fanatic

^ its all apart as im waiting for a part to come back in but its pretty simple whats going on. the front center drive shaft thats connected to the crown gear has play in it, like much more than the rear. i would say the play is between 1-2mm, as compared to the .0xmm play in the rear.

I checked the screw holding the crown gear that goes down hrough the center of the driveshaft and it was all the way tight. But, before checking that it does seem as if the screw is loose causing the play, so I'm not sure where else this play could be coming from seeing that my screw was def all the way tight.

I ordered new bearings and new bulkheads and some shims. well see what happens when i build it again with the existing bulkheads and bearings and ill take a vid. if theres too much play im going to shim it, or potentially just swap the new bulkhead and bearings in.

Any other suggestions/ideas on whats going on would be appreciated. thanks
Old 05-02-2016, 04:26 PM   #10965
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
^ its all apart as im waiting for a part to come back in but its pretty simple whats going on. the front center drive shaft thats connected to the crown gear has play in it, like much more than the rear. i would say the play is between 1-2mm, as compared to the .0xmm play in the rear.

I checked the screw holding the crown gear that goes down hrough the center of the driveshaft and it was all the way tight. But, before checking that it does seem as if the screw is loose causing the play, so I'm not sure where else this play could be coming from seeing that my screw was def all the way tight.

I ordered new bearings and new bulkheads and some shims. well see what happens when i build it again with the existing bulkheads and bearings and ill take a vid. if theres too much play im going to shim it, or potentially just swap the new bulkhead and bearings in.

Any other suggestions/ideas on whats going on would be appreciated. thanks
Sounds like there may be a problem with the pinion gear, it's not seating all the way down on the shaft. Only thing I can think of.