R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree39Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-06-2016, 08:56 PM   #10636
Tech Elite
 
gticlay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,037
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4s losi View Post
Hello everyone. Thinking of getting a 2016 xb4. I will be running an indoor medium grip track. Would the center gear diff be a smart upgrade? Are there any other must have parts? Also can you use 12mm hexs on this car? Since I have some wheels from another car. Thanks for any and all help.
Yeah, you'll probably want to try the center gear diff. But I've had great traction with the slipper as well.
__________________
Thanks to Lunsford, Proline, Schelle, Xray, RCAmerica, and SMC for your support.
gticlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 12:16 PM   #10637
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lansing Mi
Posts: 503
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4s losi View Post
Hello everyone. Thinking of getting a 2016 xb4. I will be running an indoor medium grip track. Would the center gear diff be a smart upgrade? Are there any other must have parts? Also can you use 12mm hexs on this car? Since I have some wheels from another car. Thanks for any and all help.
Here is what i would say to get for medium bite tracks.
center diff XRA364901
Composite Chassis Side Guards Medium XRA361265
Composite Rear Chassis Brace (Medium) XRA361295
Composite Front Chassis Brace (Medium) XRA361294
2.0mm Graphite Steering Brace XRA362581
Independent Servo Mount Set XRA366220
Aluminum 4 Hole Steering Plate XRA362573
XRAY Aluminum Rear Upright (Left) & (Right) XRA363352 & XRA363351
__________________
Kyosho Mp9E TKI3, Orion R8.1 with Orion 1900kv, Savox Tessman Edition
Losi 4.0E Orion r8.1 with Orion MR8 1750KV, Savox Tessman Edition
Xray Xb4 16spec Orion r10.1 with Orion 5.5t, Spectrum S6240
randy0025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 12:56 PM   #10638
Tech Master
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: WI
Posts: 1,468
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

Hey Fellas,


Concerning the 16 XB4, I noticed when switching from the slipper to the center gear diff it is really tight, being the inner motor mount button head screw will slightly rub the button head screws securing spur gear to the CD assembly. With that being an issue does anyone know of another brand of button head screws that have a lower profile head.
I have put a .2mm shim on the backside of the center diffs rear bearing which helps by slightly pushing the spur and center diff unit forward a tad. The shim combined with lower profile button head screws used on the spur gear to center diff assembly as well as the inner motor mount button screw will resolve the rubbing.

Any suggestions on lower profile button head screws would be great.
Norse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 01:15 PM   #10639
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lansing Mi
Posts: 503
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norse View Post
Hey Fellas,


Concerning the 16 XB4, I noticed when switching from the slipper to the center gear diff it is really tight, being the inner motor mount button head screw will slightly rub the button head screws securing spur gear to the CD assembly. With that being an issue does anyone know of another brand of button head screws that have a lower profile head.
I have put a .2mm shim on the backside of the center diffs rear bearing which helps by slightly pushing the spur and center diff unit forward a tad. The shim combined with lower profile button head screws used on the spur gear to center diff assembly as well as the inner motor mount button screw will resolve the rubbing.

Any suggestions on lower profile button head screws would be great.
take a picture because i never had that issue before. i want to see if we are talking about the same screws but none of mine are touching at all since switching to the center diff. I have even switch back and forth a couple times with the 16 spec with no rubbing issues.
__________________
Kyosho Mp9E TKI3, Orion R8.1 with Orion 1900kv, Savox Tessman Edition
Losi 4.0E Orion r8.1 with Orion MR8 1750KV, Savox Tessman Edition
Xray Xb4 16spec Orion r10.1 with Orion 5.5t, Spectrum S6240
randy0025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 01:57 PM   #10640
Tech Master
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: WI
Posts: 1,468
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

I will post a pic when I get off work. Its really close thus the button head screws on the face of the center gear diffs spur gear and opposite the the spur gears button head screws in the inner motor mount button head screw. When the center gear diff is rotating the button head screws can rub the face of the inner button head screw securing the motor to the motor mount. I see on the XB4 Facebook group that this has been quit common when using a center gear diff in the 16.

If you look at your center gear diffs spur while slowly rotating it you will see how close the button head screws are to the inner button head screw motor mount screw.
Norse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 03:25 PM   #10641
Tech Fanatic
 
jmcelroy42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 980
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norse View Post
I will post a pic when I get off work. Its really close thus the button head screws on the face of the center gear diffs spur gear and opposite the the spur gears button head screws in the inner motor mount button head screw. When the center gear diff is rotating the button head screws can rub the face of the inner button head screw securing the motor to the motor mount. I see on the XB4 Facebook group that this has been quit common when using a center gear diff in the 16.

If you look at your center gear diffs spur while slowly rotating it you will see how close the button head screws are to the inner button head screw motor mount screw.
I just looked at my center diff that i have run a couple times and i can see that the very top of the button heads are shiny like they were rubbing on something, never noticed until you brought it up.
__________________
EB48.4 - TEKIN RX8 & SMC 2100
XB4 '16 - TEKIN RSX & ORCA 5.5
RC10B6 - HW Justock & 24K 17.5
jmcelroy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 03:37 PM   #10642
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 303
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy0025 View Post
Here is what i would say to get for medium bite tracks.
center diff XRA364901
Composite Chassis Side Guards Medium XRA361265
Composite Rear Chassis Brace (Medium) XRA361295
Composite Front Chassis Brace (Medium) XRA361294
2.0mm Graphite Steering Brace XRA362581
Independent Servo Mount Set XRA366220
Aluminum 4 Hole Steering Plate XRA362573
XRAY Aluminum Rear Upright (Left) & (Right) XRA363352 & XRA363351
Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. Do you know if the 12mm hexs work with this car? It comes with 14mm I t think.
4s losi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 03:40 PM   #10643
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lansing Mi
Posts: 503
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4s losi View Post
Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. Do you know if the 12mm hexs work with this car? It comes with 14mm I t think.

yeah it comes with 14mm, if you want to use 12mm hexs then i would just spend the extra money and get the xray one or save the money and get exotek one. on the 1st page of this thread you will see the sizes needed for each type of wheel
__________________
Kyosho Mp9E TKI3, Orion R8.1 with Orion 1900kv, Savox Tessman Edition
Losi 4.0E Orion r8.1 with Orion MR8 1750KV, Savox Tessman Edition
Xray Xb4 16spec Orion r10.1 with Orion 5.5t, Spectrum S6240
randy0025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 05:59 PM   #10644
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Antelope Valley, CA
Posts: 4,756
Trader Rating: 483 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4s losi View Post
Hello everyone. Thinking of getting a 2016 xb4. I will be running an indoor medium grip track. Would the center gear diff be a smart upgrade? Are there any other must have parts? Also can you use 12mm hexs on this car? Since I have some wheels from another car. Thanks for any and all help.
IMHO all you need is the 12mm hexes. I've found the slipper to work better when traction isn't high. I guess it depends on how medium your traction is.
__________________
Now that I've discovered the ignore list I plan to use it.....14 and counting!
QDRHRSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 06:40 PM   #10645
Tech Master
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: WI
Posts: 1,468
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcelroy42 View Post
I just looked at my center diff that i have run a couple times and i can see that the very top of the button heads are shiny like they were rubbing on something, never noticed until you brought it up.
Hey JMC,

Yeah the button heads can slightly nick the button head screw holding the motor to the motor plate. The inner of the two button heads screws attaching the motor to the motor plate. Mounting the spur gear with the deepest side towards the motor seems to provide more clearance however the spur gear then moves closer to the motor which can make centering pinions to the spur a tad harder. It also really moves the edge of the spur gear really really close to the mount and Center carbon fiber top brace. Flipping the spur with the deep side against the diff creates more visual space however I noticed more rubbing of the button head screws this way.
Norse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 06:59 PM   #10646
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 303
Default

Cool. Thanks all
4s losi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 08:13 PM   #10647
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 303
Default

Well I ordered the kit tonight. One more question. Since this will be my first 1/10 four wheel buggy...(I'm used to pro4 and 1/8 scale) and I'm going to run the gear center diff. I've noticed that alot of people run 50,000 - 100,000 center diff oil with the xray and other brands. This seems high to me. What would be a good starting point. Thanks again.
4s losi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 08:32 PM   #10648
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 1,224
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4s losi View Post
Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. Do you know if the 12mm hexs work with this car? It comes with 14mm I t think.
Yes it works i have set of exotek 12mm F/R came from my xb4 '15 not getting xb4 '16 so i might be selling it with 3 set of tire 2.4 size
raved007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 10:54 PM   #10649
Tech Elite
 
gticlay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,037
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4s losi View Post
Well I ordered the kit tonight. One more question. Since this will be my first 1/10 four wheel buggy...(I'm used to pro4 and 1/8 scale) and I'm going to run the gear center diff. I've noticed that alot of people run 50,000 - 100,000 center diff oil with the xray and other brands. This seems high to me. What would be a good starting point. Thanks again.
You meant to type 500,000 to 1,000,000 right? You probably want million weight, but maybe 500,000 on blown out tracks.
__________________
Thanks to Lunsford, Proline, Schelle, Xray, RCAmerica, and SMC for your support.
gticlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 04:07 AM   #10650
Tech Fanatic
 
jmcelroy42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 980
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4s losi View Post
Well I ordered the kit tonight. One more question. Since this will be my first 1/10 four wheel buggy...(I'm used to pro4 and 1/8 scale) and I'm going to run the gear center diff. I've noticed that alot of people run 50,000 - 100,000 center diff oil with the xray and other brands. This seems high to me. What would be a good starting point. Thanks again.
I thought the same thing when I got mine, so I started with 300,000 and it didn't feel right, so I went up to 1,000,000 and it was great.
__________________
EB48.4 - TEKIN RX8 & SMC 2100
XB4 '16 - TEKIN RSX & ORCA 5.5
RC10B6 - HW Justock & 24K 17.5
jmcelroy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
EP buggies thread sim600 Malaysian R/C Racers 3586 03-30-2016 11:53 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 09:04 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net