R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree36Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-09-2016, 03:02 PM   #10366
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 87
Default ECS Driveshaft reviews

Has anybody tried the ECS driveshafts? Anybody have feedback on stock vs. ECS?

I know in theory what they do, but I wanted to see if someone has tried them and has feedback. I am tempted to try them and report back, but they are a little pricey. I am mostly considering them for the front so any info is welcome.

Also, I think some out there have tried Spec r driveshafts. Are these ecs style?(they look like it, but I'm not sure)

Thanks.
Freeski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 03:19 PM   #10367
Tech Master
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: WI
Posts: 1,386
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeski View Post
Has anybody tried the ECS driveshafts? Anybody have feedback on stock vs. ECS?

I know in theory what they do, but I wanted to see if someone has tried them and has feedback. I am tempted to try them and report back, but they are a little pricey. I am mostly considering them for the front so any info is welcome.

Also, I think some out there have tried Spec r driveshafts. Are these ecs style?(they look like it, but I'm not sure)

Thanks.
The Spec R Fronts are basically the same as the new XRAY 81mm ECS fronts. The reduce chatter, vibration while turning, especially at higher speeds. Less chatter, less vibration, makes for a smoother vehicle all around.
Norse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 03:27 PM   #10368
Tech Master
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: WI
Posts: 1,386
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egress View Post
Why won´t they fit at all? Is the hexx too depp to be reached no matter which Offset hex you use?

Have you got a part number for proline wheels front and rear you mentioned?

Thanks mate!
Gticlay is correct. The SRX4 kits front rims won't work, Serpent has new front EOS axles with 12mm hexes that will allow one to use basically any 12mm hexed front Rim.

Try ZX6- fronts. Actually if running +.75 front 12mm hexes and +1.50 rear 12mm hexes you basically can most other 12mm hex buggy rims. Track width will vary from with different rims.
Norse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 03:31 PM   #10369
Tech Master
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: WI
Posts: 1,386
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivepointnine View Post
My 14 is a tank, I have taken some massive wrecks with that thing that would have snapped multiple parts on my old Schumacher K1A. Only issue I had was a CV pin pushed through the retaining cup on the front, causing me to have 2wd for a couple laps, easily fixed though.

I am hoping the '16 will be just as strong!
The 16 is stone cold tough. Diff cases are stronger, the damn buggy is so light and nimble but it's tough as nails and can hold a line when bumping another buggy. Get the aluminum CVD collars and make sure your Joints are properly maintained and lubed.
Norse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 11:25 PM   #10370
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: England
Posts: 293
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egress View Post
Guys, has anyone ever tried to mount 12mm Serpent wheels of the current SRX4 4WD buggy in the XB '16? Would it fit and what offset wheel hexs would you need to have the stock offset? The reason i ask that i've been looking at these wheels because they have not only the rear but also the front wheel hex hidden. I like that.
I guess the front ones need an offset but would like to hear that from someone who tried it..
If you want the wheel nuts hidden, use Durango DEX410 wheels, those are 14mm, so no need for different hexes.

The off set is pretty much the same as XRAY's wheels, as they were used when the XB4 was developed, the XRAY fronts are a touch different now.

All you need do, is open up the hole in the rear wheel a tiny bit, to clear the axle.

Plus they come in yellow
__________________
X-Factory UK / Carisma Racing/ Corally/ Vampire Racing /TEKIN/ AVID/ JConcepts / Lunsford / Exotek Racing / Hiro Seiko / RDRP / GRP Tyres/ Tuning Haus/ DMSPARTZ / McKune/ RCS Graphic Workz / WTF / DMS Racing / Model Junction
John Myall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 11:26 PM   #10371
Tech Master
 
BentKa's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Norway
Posts: 1,348
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeski View Post
Has anybody tried the ECS driveshafts? Anybody have feedback on stock vs. ECS?

I know in theory what they do, but I wanted to see if someone has tried them and has feedback. I am tempted to try them and report back, but they are a little pricey. I am mostly considering them for the front so any info is welcome.

Also, I think some out there have tried Spec r driveshafts. Are these ecs style?(they look like it, but I'm not sure)

Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norse View Post
The Spec R Fronts are basically the same as the new XRAY 81mm ECS fronts. The reduce chatter, vibration while turning, especially at higher speeds. Less chatter, less vibration, makes for a smoother vehicle all around.
Yes they are of a similar design but the Xray ones are fully rebuildable and of a stronger design.

This means that when they eventually start to wear you can replace specific parts instead of the entire shaft.

We use the ECS shafts both on the XB4 and the XB2 and Malin really likes the smooth feel.

It's very noticeable on high grip surfaces going through corners on throttle



Bent
__________________
Xray XB4 | Xray XB2 | Xray XT2 | Xray XB8 | Xray XB8E | Xray T4 | Xray X12
Factory Team driver for:
XRAY | ORCA | JConcepts | FX-Engines | Hudy | G-Force | Maxima Fuel | Hiro Seiko
DubiDesign | Maugrafix | YeahRacing | rcMart | IB Prostart
Follow Malin on Facebook for race reports and setup tips
BentKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 11:29 PM   #10372
Tech Addict
 
wisconsinbasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: menomonie wisconsin
Posts: 506
Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default

Is it worth it to get the new buggy or buying a used kit with parts and spares and hop ups for half the price I'm torn I'm an average club level driver not a pro by any means but if the new car is way better then I'll do it but with a new car coming out almost every year kind of makes me think last years car will be just fine thoughts??? I
wisconsinbasher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 11:43 PM   #10373
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 63
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Myall View Post
If you want the wheel nuts hidden, use Durango DEX410 wheels, those are 14mm, so no need for different hexes.

The off set is pretty much the same as XRAY's wheels, as they were used when the XB4 was developed, the XRAY fronts are a touch different now.

All you need do, is open up the hole in the rear wheel a tiny bit, to clear the axle.

Plus they come in yellow
Thanks for that! That was actually my thought, getting yellow wheels but with hidden Wheel nuts. Only i don't like the Durango yellow and wheel design.
I prefer the kind of yellow-green that Kyosho and Asso have...
Maybe b44.3 fronts could fit? Are they 12mm hex?
But again they have no hidden hex.... Oh well!
Egress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 12:47 AM   #10374
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Greece
Posts: 72
Default

hello again!

On a low traction carpet track i run on my xb4 a 6.5T with 400 and 450 shock oil and 5000back and 3000 front silicone.
My setup as far as toe out and camber is more than decent but im not sure if using other silicone setup on difs would help me more.
Any advice?
grifind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 11:18 AM   #10375
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 87
Default ECS Driveshaft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norse View Post
The Spec R Fronts are basically the same as the new XRAY 81mm ECS fronts. The reduce chatter, vibration while turning, especially at higher speeds. Less chatter, less vibration, makes for a smoother vehicle all around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentKa View Post
Yes they are of a similar design but the Xray ones are fully rebuildable and of a stronger design.

This means that when they eventually start to wear you can replace specific parts instead of the entire shaft.

We use the ECS shafts both on the XB4 and the XB2 and Malin really likes the smooth feel.

It's very noticeable on high grip surfaces going through corners on throttle



Bent
Thanks Norse for the response. And thank you to Bent for your continued overwhelming support in this and other xray forums.

I decided to pull the trigger and order the xray fronts #365200. Initially the price seemed high, but when you think about buying a standard dogbone/axle/barrel/and pins, the cost is actually the same if you buy the ECS version. I, like several others, felt the price of the ecs was high, but when you break down each part, it's the same cost as we are accustomed to paying. Nobody said xray stuff was cheap.

What did push me over the edge for ordering was a youtube video I found.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7S95NcOxug
Maybe this will help others, but I will get my shipment early next week and will report back from a civilian/non pro point of view.
Freeski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 11:32 AM   #10376
Tech Fanatic
 
onekiwi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sweden but from New Zealand
Posts: 898
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Qwerty

Last edited by onekiwi; 02-10-2016 at 01:45 PM.
onekiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 12:06 PM   #10377
Tech Master
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: WI
Posts: 1,386
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egress View Post
Thanks for that! That was actually my thought, getting yellow wheels but with hidden Wheel nuts. Only i don't like the Durango yellow and wheel design.
I prefer the kind of yellow-green that Kyosho and Asso have...
Maybe b44.3 fronts could fit? Are they 12mm hex?
But again they have no hidden hex.... Oh well!

you can use ZX6 fronts on Xray 12mm hexes. I have +.75 XRAY 12mm front hexes and mainly use ZX6 front rims.

And JM is correct with durango 14mm rims working fine with a little reaming needed for the axles to fit. I did this with tons of Durango wheels I bought for my 15XB4..
Norse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 12:12 PM   #10378
Tech Master
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: WI
Posts: 1,386
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeski View Post
Thanks Norse for the response. And thank you to Bent for your continued overwhelming support in this and other xray forums.

I decided to pull the trigger and order the xray fronts #365200. Initially the price seemed high, but when you think about buying a standard dogbone/axle/barrel/and pins, the cost is actually the same if you buy the ECS version. I, like several others, felt the price of the ecs was high, but when you break down each part, it's the same cost as we are accustomed to paying. Nobody said xray stuff was cheap.

What did push me over the edge for ordering was a youtube video I found.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7S95NcOxug
Maybe this will help others, but I will get my shipment early next week and will report back from a civilian/non pro point of view.
No problemo my friend. I also agree with Bentka as the XRAY ECS fronts being stronger than the SPEC R's. Being rebuildable is a huge plus as well.
Norse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 12:17 PM   #10379
Tech Master
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: WI
Posts: 1,386
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default

The Video Freeski posted pretty much sums up the difference between conventional shafts vs the ECS.

Nice Find Freeski! thanks for posting.
Norse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 01:04 PM   #10380
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 63
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norse View Post
you can use ZX6 fronts on Xray 12mm hexes. I have +.75 XRAY 12mm front hexes and mainly use ZX6 front rims.

And JM is correct with durango 14mm rims working fine with a little reaming needed for the axles to fit. I did this with tons of Durango wheels I bought for my 15XB4..
Many thanks Norse!
Egress is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
EP buggies thread sim600 Malaysian R/C Racers 3586 03-30-2016 11:53 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 09:02 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net