Like Tree52Likes

Old 02-05-2016, 07:31 PM   #10306
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to kuruption

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmackani View Post
Ignore what it looks like with the wheels on. For one, if the car is sitting on a stand then it is misleading. Camber gain is drastic when a car is shown on a stand and leads many to think it is off. Second, drive the car and I bet it feels good. Third, there is a lot of play introduced when you add the wheels to the car and then try to use a camber gauge that is not part of the hudy system. Also you have to reset your ride height to 20mm once the wheels are on the car. Believe in the hudy system and put away the other gauges.
+1

Tires are never symmetrical... wheels are rarely symmetrical. Trust the HUDY... always use the same method to align your car, never use two different tools.
kuruption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 07:34 PM   #10307
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to kuruption

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleomycin View Post
I'm have a lot of problems making tight corners on or off the power, so much so that I end up having to slam on the brakes to get the rear of the car to rotate under hard braking (on asphalt, clay and hard pack dirt). I'm not sure if this is normal or not for the 16 car? Literally everyone at both tracks runs circles around me in the corners because my car pushes so wide both on and off throttle. I had the opportunity to drive someones 1/8th scale soar buggy and I was astonished at how tight the turning radius was on it coming from my car.

I'm running 20mm ride height, 0 toe front, 0 camber front + rear, 7k front diff, 5k rear diff, 500k center diff (per the center diff manual recommendation), 600wt front shocks, 450 rear. Everything else is set to the defaults recommended in the manual. Other than not being able to take tight corners i'm extremely pleased with how the car handles!
This is exactly the opposite everyone else who say the car is too aggressive. Try going back to the base setup, including shock positions, oil, pistons, etc.
kuruption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 08:50 PM   #10308
Boz
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:
Thanks, I guess I'll just trust the setup stand then. My biggest issue is the car seems to have a very poor turning radius. At the track someone has a 2015 xb4 and the wheels on that car are able to turn a lot more than my 16 car for some reason before hitting an obstruction on the chassis.

It sounds like you may have built something wrong. Its basically the same front end from the '15 to '16. I get the same amount of throw on both my '15 and '16 cars.

Do you have the front hubs on the correct sides? Check the steering plate screws are not hitting the bulkhead?

Post a picture, we may be able to spot something for you.
Powered by Nosram motors and FX engines.
Many thanks to HEI and Perth RC for their support over the years.
Boz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 12:01 AM   #10309
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Thanks, I guess I'll just trust the setup stand then. My biggest issue is the car seems to have a very poor turning radius. At the track someone has a 2015 xb4 and the wheels on that car are able to turn a lot more than my 16 car for some reason before hitting an obstruction on the chassis.

I'm have a lot of problems making tight corners on or off the power, so much so that I end up having to slam on the brakes to get the rear of the car to rotate under hard braking (on asphalt, clay and hard pack dirt). I'm not sure if this is normal or not for the 16 car? Literally everyone at both tracks runs circles around me in the corners because my car pushes so wide both on and off throttle. I had the opportunity to drive someones 1/8th scale soar buggy and I was astonished at how tight the turning radius was on it coming from my car.

I'm running 20mm ride height, 0 toe front, 0 camber front + rear, 7k front diff, 5k rear diff, 500k center diff (per the center diff manual recommendation), 600wt front shocks, 450 rear. Everything else is set to the defaults recommended in the manual. Other than not being able to take tight corners i'm extremely pleased with how the car handles!
I never set my ride height using the setup system. Setup book doesn't either. Put the tires you intend to run on and set the height. Then throw it on the station. What is your front shock positions bottom and top? Altering the shock placement on the car can drastically alter steering. I always toe in 1* on 4wd for better handling. Camber usually to -1.5 on all four corners.

Good luck.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:47 AM   #10310
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 488 (100%+)

I purchased a Hudy set up station for a good friend as a gift. I suck but he's a 70% sponsored driver. He uses it sometimes. His comment was that the settings we typically use are way off. Just as many have surmised his opinion was that between the simple tools and imperfect wheels/tires there is a lot of variation. Still, he sets ride height and camber with what he describes as "crappy hand tools". He feels as though that gives him the best results on the track.

As far as an XB4 not having enough steering, I don't see that possible. My car has an immense amount of mechanical steering with the EPA on one side at 62%. The XRay steering setup is the most efficient that I've ever used. If your XB4 doesn't have enough steering I'm thinking that you have parts swapped onto the wrong side or something is upside down. Its uncanny how hard the XB4 can turn. Of the many setup issues you could potentially have that is the least likely of them.

Last edited by QDRHRSE; 02-06-2016 at 09:41 AM.
QDRHRSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 10:30 AM   #10311
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Looking at the XB4...

Gents,

Been looking at this chassis for a bit and wondering if many feel there is enough droop to make it plush enough to navigate US style indoor clay tracks.

I had the 2014 chassis...loved the thing, but it didn't seem to have enough suspension at times to really shine on uneven dirt surfaces and larger jumps. The D413 comes to mind for many, but I don't feel one needs that much.

Can anyone comment on whether or not the 2016 has made any change in that regard?
"Soon they will get everything they deserve. This isn't about trite elitism, but the otherwise intellectual and educated classes refusing to think for themselves. I call it situational ignorance, and painfully intolerable."

Stan Garvin
celt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 10:40 AM   #10312
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by celt View Post
Gents,

Been looking at this chassis for a bit and wondering if many feel there is enough droop to make it plush enough to navigate US style indoor clay tracks.

I had the 2014 chassis...loved the thing, but it didn't seem to have enough suspension at times to really shine on uneven dirt surfaces and larger jumps. The D413 comes to mind for many, but I don't feel one needs that much.

Can anyone comment on whether or not the 2016 has made any change in that regard?

I have not had any of the earlier cars but I can assure you the 2016 works great on clay, bluegroove, and low traction wet dirt. They seem very flexy. I can understand why they have optional CF chassis stiffeners. Both of mine essentially have book set ups with changes to the shock and diff oils only and they are awesome. I liked my first one so much that I bought a second and plan to run the XB2 dirt edition this year and sell a couple of my B5Ms. Its not often a car is near perfect after the first time you throw it down to try it out....that's exactly my experience with the XB4. My XB2 felt great right out of the box on clay too.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:40 AM   #10313
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Hey guys, I need a little help sourcing a body to fit my xb4 16. They seem out of stock everywhere. Will anything else fit nicely?
Mikes Hobby Shop
symmetricon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 10:43 AM   #10314
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by symmetricon View Post
Hey guys, I need a little help sourcing a body to fit my xb4 16. They seem out of stock everywhere. Will anything else fit nicely?
+1. It would be nice to have an option for bodies.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:11 AM   #10315
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
XB4 '15 WIDE body should fit. Penguin makes a reproduction '15 body that is readily available on eBay here in the UK (understand that it takes about 10 days to get to the US)
PR Racing UK
fivepointnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 11:39 AM   #10316
Tech Adept

The Austrian Xray shop has them in stock. It is also my understanding that a big Xray order is inbound to the US. A bunch of parts hit Amain last night. I would call RCAmerica on Monday. Or just order one from Austria:

http://www.xray-shop.at/shop/product...5psqcrpb7tu1q4
avaldes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 11:51 AM   #10317
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by likea45 View Post
I never set my ride height using the setup system. Setup book doesn't either. Put the tires you intend to run on and set the height. Then throw it on the station. What is your front shock positions bottom and top? Altering the shock placement on the car can drastically alter steering. I always toe in 1* on 4wd for better handling. Camber usually to -1.5 on all four corners.

Good luck.
Using the droop blocks under the chassis sets the reference point for all measurements. Setting your ride height before does nothing if you are placing the chassis on the droop blocks.
Old 02-06-2016, 12:48 PM   #10318
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
ebay. there is a guy that sells the stock 16 spec for $17 plus hipping. it is called Penguin. it came to my door in about 7 days from ordering
randy0025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 12:53 PM   #10319
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:

I would take your steering rack totally apart. when putting it together it is easy to flip a part around in that section, specially the steering arm itself. I myself first put one of the servo saver arms on backwards. so just take it apart and do it again, i find that better then looking at the book vs your car because it is easy to over look something. The xb4 should have to much steering if anything so something is wrong, thats forsure.
randy0025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 04:17 PM   #10320
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy0025 View Post
ebay. there is a guy that sells the stock 16 spec for $17 plus hipping. it is called Penguin. it came to my door in about 7 days from ordering
This one?
http://m.ebay.com/itm/X-Ray-Xb4-4wd-...299?nav=SEARCH
Mikes Hobby Shop
symmetricon is offline   Reply With Quote