Like Tree246Likes

Xray XB4 thread

Old 01-14-2016, 12:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BentKa
Video of Malin's Xray XB4 in qualifying @ 2016 DHI Cup in Denmark with Bruno Coelho, Martin Bayer, Jörn Neumann, Michal Orlowski, David Ronnefalk etc.

She ended up qualifying as #8 for the A-final using this setup:

http://forum.teamxray.com/xform/inde...setup=xb4_2016

Bent
Thanks for sharing all the setups, I know most appreciate it very much. One thing that would be helpful for me, and I've seen a few other people mention it, is the measurement for shock shaft length. I assume you always measure the shock length anyway when you build shocks to ensure they are matched in length and perhaps you **always** run the lower eyelet screwed fully on, but I'm pretty used to playing with those a t least a little bit to easily change droop a mm or 2 while testing the car. I prefer to start with the eyelet 1mm out so that I can easily reduce droop if I want to try that out.
Old 01-14-2016, 12:21 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Thumbs up

And I'm always happy to help anyone at the track no matter what brand you run or what level of driver you are.

I have no secrets and share everything to everyone.

Bent

Edit: a "couple" of laps from last January on the very track you test and practice on running a prototype 2WD and '15 4WD with different chassis and center diff.
You have been a tremendous help to me, I really appreciate all you do on here to help with setups and such.

Amazing driver you have in the videos, very smooth style.
Old 01-14-2016, 12:24 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by gticlay
Thanks for sharing all the setups, I know most appreciate it very much. One thing that would be helpful for me, and I've seen a few other people mention it, is the measurement for shock shaft length. I assume you always measure the shock length anyway when you build shocks to ensure they are matched in length and perhaps you **always** run the lower eyelet screwed fully on, but I'm pretty used to playing with those a t least a little bit to easily change droop a mm or 2 while testing the car. I prefer to start with the eyelet 1mm out so that I can easily reduce droop if I want to try that out.
Thanks

I will start filling out that info for the setups from now on.

And yes you are correct I always measure the shocks to make sure they are exactly the same.

Very rarely do we use extra droop indoors, but outside we use it quite often

It's a great tuning aid.

Bent
Old 01-14-2016, 12:27 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by two shoes
You have been a tremendous help to me, I really appreciate all you do on here to help with setups and such.

Amazing driver you have in the videos, very smooth style.
Thanks

I'm just glad to be of help and share some of the information we acquire through all the testing.

And yes she gets around quite well for her age

Bent
Old 01-14-2016, 05:32 PM
Tech Initiate

Does anyone know if the HUD105520 wheel adapter is compatible with the wheels on this car for balancing? My xb4 is in the mail and i'm ordering the tools I need to properly set it up (never done this before). Thanks!
Old 01-14-2016, 05:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 140 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bleomycin
Does anyone know if the HUD105520 wheel adapter is compatible with the wheels on this car for balancing? My xb4 is in the mail and i'm ordering the tools I need to properly set it up (never done this before). Thanks!
You would want the 105525 for 14mm wheels.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:05 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by timannnn6
You would want the 105525 for 14mm wheels.
Thanks for clearing that up! That part seems to be completely unavailable online in north america at least from what i've been able to find. If I switch to the 12mm hex's and get 12mm wheels what part would I use for those?

Also, I see in the set-up sheets they use #107711 droop gauge, #107701 support blocks and #107720 ride height gauge. Are these the correct tools to order? Also, I don't see a droop measurement in any of the set-up sheets, only ride height?

Sorry for the dumb questions this is my first time setting up a car.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

http://www.hudy.net/xhudy/products/p...132a46b4101dda
Download the setup book. It will tell you what tools and how to use it.
Old 01-14-2016, 07:59 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by spu83
Download the setup book. It will tell you what tools and how to use it.
Awesome, those are exactly what I needed! I must have missed reference to them in the instruction manual when I read through it.

What is everyone using to balance the wheels for this thing? I can't seem to find a wheel balancer compatible with 14mm or 12mm hex anywhere online in the US.
Old 01-14-2016, 10:39 PM
Tech Master

Awesome, those are exactly what I needed! I must have missed reference to them in the instruction manual when I read through it.

What is everyone using to balance the wheels for this thing? I can't seem to find a wheel balancer compatible with 14mm or 12mm hex anywhere online in the US.
Wheel balancing station:
http://www.hudy.net/xhudy/products/p...4&kategoria=69

Adapter for 14mm hex:
http://www.hudy.net/xhudy/products/p...5&kategoria=69

Adapter for 12mm hex:
http://www.hudy.net/xhudy/products/p...6&kategoria=69

Bent
Old 01-14-2016, 10:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 140 (100%+)

Hi Bent,

The 12mm adapter will not work with rear buggy wheels. The shaft is just not long enough. I modified mine to work. I've put in a request on the site but no response as of yet.
Old 01-14-2016, 10:42 PM
Tech Master

Thanks for clearing that up! That part seems to be completely unavailable online in north america at least from what i've been able to find. If I switch to the 12mm hex's and get 12mm wheels what part would I use for those?

Also, I see in the set-up sheets they use #107711 droop gauge, #107701 support blocks and #107720 ride height gauge. Are these the correct tools to order? Also, I don't see a droop measurement in any of the set-up sheets, only ride height?

Sorry for the dumb questions this is my first time setting up a car.
Yes those are the ones we use.

Most only measure shock length for 1/10 since you don't have droop screws.

Bent
Old 01-15-2016, 05:34 AM
Tech Rookie

Bentka how much rebound you use? My track is very bumpy and low traction.Thanks
Old 01-15-2016, 06:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Bentka, I asked about the center diff yesterday (For running on clay track low to med grip) and I am just wondering why you use such thick oil in them. Using the 500,000 basically locks it up right? Why is that the way to go with these 1/10 buggies? Just trying to understand... Thanks

Last edited by Slapjack; 01-15-2016 at 06:53 AM.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:41 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Slapjack
Bentka, I asked about the center diff yesterday (For running on clay track low to med grip) and I am just wondering why you use such thick oil in them. Using the 500,000 basically locks it up right? Why is that the way to go with these 1/10 buggies? Just trying to understand... Thanks

I don't know why people have this misconception and won't even try it.

Center diff with 500.000 cst has a ton of diff action.

We run 1.000.000 95% of the time and only use 500.000 on really blown out dirt tracks or slippery and greasy astro tracks.

Running lower weights is easier to drive for sure, but it's way too inconsistent and lacks a lot of forward traction when you start pushing.

It's just slow…….safe…..but slow.

People generally running the center diff with lower weight oils find the XB4 easier to drive and faster when they swap back to a center diff.

Unfortunately a lot of bad setups are masked by the forgiveness of the center diff.

We always test both slipper and center diff before deciding on what to run.

I always carry 3 sets of front and rear diffs + 3 sets of center diffs to be able to quickly swap between them and get comparable results in identical conditions.

And we always warm up the diffs to running temperature before starting a heat.

Hold front and rear wheels on one side and apply throttle for a few seconds, then just the front or rear set of wheels to warm up the center.

Bent

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.