Search
Like Tree246Likes

Xray XB4 thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 09:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Edumakated
I'm sure it will be addressed. I haven't run mine yet, but we will see this weekend if the complaints are real. My guess is they are. However, you don't seem to have too much experience with brand new kits. They all have problems.

When Losi released their SCTE, the diff pins were disintegrating because they were too soft. Took losi like three months or so to get a fix out. However, someone stepped up in the interim to get replacement pins out to fix the problem. Of course, they never really addressed the RTR quality issue with the car, but whatever. Spend more on hopups than the car itself.

Castle's Mamba Monster was blowing up left and right when the first came out.

Tekin's RX8 would crap out all the time when it first came out. They finally had to redesign the case.

The Durango Dex410still has piss poor ball cups. Need to spend $70 bucks on lunsford ones to keep them from popping off from downsiding a jump. The hinge pins bend like some kind of magic trick. Had to by McMaster Carr ones and cut them yourself. Plastic Diff Hoops burn up on the car. Need to spend $40 bucks to get the aluminum ones. The front arms are kind of weak. Same issues on the 4wd SCT.

From my build so far, this car is well and above anything on the market. Looking at how stout it is, there probably isn't enough flex in the car to absorb impacts so the weakest point has to give at some point. The 3mm shock towers are probably the weakest point on the car. Diff gears could be flawed or it could be people just not setting their slippers right. Who knows. I don't think the weight savings is worth it and would have preferred metal gears, so I don't know what Xray was thinking.
+1 here too!!

These gears will run longer with less maintenance than metal will.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:09 AM
Tech Addict

I'm optimistic on the composite gears. Almost done with my build. Made sure to add 1.32g per the instructions. I also noticed that XRAY said the diff should weigh about 9.8g but both of mine came in at 9.6, so final weight with fluid was 10.9 each. I have composite gears in my diff on my Tamiya XV-01 rally and I run stupid power threw that little car. 5600kv 4pole and have never had a problem. Hope it's the same experience with my XB4. Will know when I run next week .
Old 01-04-2013, 10:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tim Garland
+1 here too!!

These gears will run longer with less maintenance than metal will.
I am thinking the same thing. Finally got her rolling (goofed up a paint job though not used to rattle cans, airbrush is clogged.....aah well its just money ).

First impressions are this car is whisper quiet, almost like a belt drive car and rotates on a dime. I think its because of those light composite gears (I believe even the rango 1/8 guys are running composites in the diffs now). We will see how mine handles the 1/8 size triples on our winter track this sunday!!
Old 01-04-2013, 10:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Originally Posted by asc6000
Please list the cars you currently own. Allow me to judge any of those cars, especially the ones I've never owned.
B44.2
B4.1 WC

Instead of getting all sensitive about my statements with the issues with the cars help out and prove me wrong with:
A: where people can get xray parts in stock to fix the broken ones. Nobody here at our local track has parts and the dealers say parts are not available in stock yet. And when I say parts I mean in the states not on Ebay etc form Hong Kong.
B: provide customer service information that is fixing the cars.
Maybe I am missing something, but my efforts to help my friends get their stuff back on the track have come up empty.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BRSracing
B44.2
B4.1 WC

Instead of getting all sensitive about my statements with the issues with the cars help out and prove me wrong with:
A: where people can get xray parts in stock to fix the broken ones. Nobody here at our local track has parts and the dealers say parts are not available in stock yet. And when I say parts I mean in the states not on Ebay etc form Hong Kong.
B: provide customer service information that is fixing the cars.
Maybe I am missing something, but my efforts to help my friends get their stuff back on the track have come up empty.
gshobby.com has most stuff in stock (i bought about $100 bucks of spares from them in the past week, may have cleaned them out :0). I got pretty much most spares needed. Sometimes you have search harder for spares when a new kit is released. I recall the Durangos didn't have squat for spares when they were released for months.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

B44.2
B4.1 WC

I'm not sure anyone is arguing that you are wrong, in that there are some supply issues, and some durability problems. That said, I'm not sure you are providing any real help to the community or help to your fellow racers by basically asking people, who have invested in a platform, to agree with you that they made a bad choice. Bashing a community that has formed around a product will always produce friction, so it's unclear to me why you persist.

If you are trying to compare a new platform built by XRAY to an extremely well established platform from Associated in the country it was designed and originally produced and you are expecting absolute parity, you're going to have a bad time. If you are like many of us who enjoy something new, and straying a bit from the status quo, you'll end up where we are today, with an innovative new platform that has some kinks to work through.

Hopefully we can now return to our regularly scheduled program of XB4 news, build tips, nice pictures, and race reports.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:19 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Edumakated
gshobby.com has most stuff in stock (i bought about $100 bucks of spares from them in the past week, may have cleaned them out :0). I got pretty much most spares needed. Sometimes you have search harder for spares when a new kit is released. I recall the Durangos didn't have squat for spares when they were released for months.
They seem to have what we are looking for thanks... Did you use the metal diff gears? Plastic gears are stripped after one run. Car was built by experianced builder so I don't think it was a build issue.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:58 AM
Tech Apprentice

they only stripp when you put too much oil in

reading the maual helps even an experianced builder
Old 01-04-2013, 12:06 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by florianlaux
they only stripp when you put too much oil in

reading the maual helps even an experianced builder
It was built to maual specs, so I guess using your theory the manual must be wrong or over filling is not the only way they strip.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

B44.2
B4.1 WC

Last winter the TC6.1 had the same issues. No parts available for months, no big push from AE to say they were working on anything either. It's how it works, the kit just came out and it will take a little time for parts to start coming into stock.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:52 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

What tires are used on these 4x4 buggies? Would the same type as b44 fit it?

I'm new to the class so I want to make sure I get the correct parts.

Also, from what I have read a motor around 7.5 turns would be right for this. Opinions?

Thanks
Old 01-04-2013, 05:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I watched Dos take his out for its very first drive and it had some hits that I though oh no it will break due to reading this thread beforehand and guess what nothing broke and some of those hits and rolls were hard.

So I am not sure where all this is coming from and yes mine is still on the bench awaiting the motor and ESC to arrive but no way in the world will I shelve this car because of fear.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:09 PM
Boz
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I have had numerous different kits and been in rc for over 20 years. I have seen my share of poor kits with weak spots. It would appear this one was rushed out with known issues. Why else would they ship extra diff gears. It will be interesting to see if they fix all the issues free for the consumer. The thought that people would spend over $400.00 for a kit and now they are "serious" and happy to spend more money fixing it for repeated problems is not logical. Sure its been the Holidays, but they should have shipped parts to the dealers with the cars, has nothing to do with the holiday. If they can ship the cars they can ship the parts at the same time. The issue with parts is fact, other stuff is my opinion. I don't own one but people get on here to learn about cars and make informed decisions. I don't care if people buy a paticualar brand over another what I run may not work for others, but I do want anyone looking to buy to have information on what is going on at the track.
Gee, you really contradiction yourself.

Quote "I have seen my share of poor kits with weak spots", so therefore Xray are not the first RC company to release a car which may have issues.

Quote "....make informed decisions." or just to voice your opinion. Try be constructive and put your 20yrs of experience to good use.

Look, you drive AE cars, the front shock ball end on a B44 could break if you drove into the back of another car and I broke a few towers on the B44 my self. So what! In two months time this will all be forgotten about and parts will be freely available.

At my track, 3 driver tested their cars last night without any issues. One of the drivers won 3 out of the 4 races. He's happy with it.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:08 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I might be looking at this wrong, so help me out here, eh?

The revised slipper tension settings are from 5.7mm to 6.3mm.

I measured (very carefully) and one full turn of the collar is ½mm. Each turn of the collar gives you two flats to pin the grub screw on, so the smallest "resolution" we have is ¼mm. Simply stated, moving the collar from one flat to the next increases or decreases the slipper tension by ¼mm.

So, in reality, we do not have a range of adjustment from 5.7 - 6.3mm. We really have three choices, which are 5.75mm, 6.0mm and 6.25mm.

I don't have my electronics in yet nor have I finished assembling my kit, but even the 6.25mm setting seems a lot tighter than I'm used to.

Thoughts?
Old 01-04-2013, 07:32 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I might be looking at this wrong, so help me out here, eh?

The revised slipper tension settings are from 5.7mm to 6.3mm.

I measured (very carefully) and one full turn of the collar is ½mm. Each turn of the collar gives you two flats to pin the grub screw on, so the smallest "resolution" we have is ¼mm. Simply stated, moving the collar from one flat to the next increases or decreases the slipper tension by ¼mm.

So, in reality, we do not have a range of adjustment from 5.7 - 6.3mm. We really have three choices, which are 5.75mm, 6.0mm and 6.25mm.

I don't have my electronics in yet nor have I finished assembling my kit, but even the 6.25mm setting seems a lot tighter than I'm used to.

Thoughts?
Forget the book settings and make sure you can slip it by hand. Then put the car on the track you will be on, adjust in from this loose setting and you will have no problems with the gears. I just make sure it can slip just a bit, dead stop to full power and your safe, IMHO

Last edited by Tim Garland; 01-04-2013 at 07:50 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.