R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree36Likes

Old 12-07-2015, 05:25 PM   #9526
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spork View Post
I recently completed the build on a 2016, and plan to run 13.5. However, with the stock spur, the largest pinion I can fit is a 26. I'd like to try a 29. Any idea what I might be doing wrong, or did wrong in the build?

Thanks
Can you post a picture? Is the bearing seat pressed against the end of the adjustment? If so, you'll need to get one of the 75t spur gears to go any larger on the pinion.
Old 12-07-2015, 07:10 PM   #9527
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Just built a '16, just need to install the electronics. Overall this was probably one of the best builds ever. Car seems awesome on the bench
RobsRacin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 07:42 PM   #9528
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Mine is ready to go except for my RX, waiting for it to arrive.

I was kind of disappointed with the shock package, was expecting a higher quality. My TLR 22-4 shocks IMO are better built.
Attached Thumbnails
Xray XB4 thread-img_0580-copy.jpg  
Chris Furman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 08:17 PM   #9529
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

THE XRAY XB4 '15 BODY WILL FIT XRAY XB4 '16?
raved007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 08:37 PM   #9530
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by raved007 View Post
THE XRAY XB4 '15 BODY WILL FIT XRAY XB4 '16?
The 369703 Wide V2 is the one that fits.
Old 12-08-2015, 12:50 AM   #9531
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkracer24 View Post
Yes the cases will work but yes you will either need to get a '16 front shock tower or do some dremeling to the '15 tower.

Also, the '16 tower geometry is a little different.
Will the '16 towers and diff cases work on a '14? I really am digging the new tower geometry, but my '14 is pretty dialled so I am reluctant to purchase an entire new wheeler when its not my primary class. I am running a '15 wide body on my '14 and like the way it fits/looks compared to the older ones.
PR Racing UK
fivepointnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 06:13 AM   #9532
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Furman View Post

I was kind of disappointed with the shock package, was expecting a higher quality. My TLR 22-4 shocks IMO are better built.
The shocks are also my only complaint with the car
RobsRacin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 07:01 AM   #9533
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Furman View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobsRacin View Post
The shocks are also my only complaint with the car
What is wrong with the shocks ?

Bent
DubiDesign | Maugrafix | YeahRacing | rcMart | IB Prostart
Follow Malin on Facebook for race reports and setup tips
BentKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 07:06 AM   #9534
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I can't say that I've been anything but impress with the shocks, and I've owned every major brands including Kyosho. In all honesty they are all good. I do find the anodized on the xb4 shocks to be better than most;the Kyosho are super smooth but the anodize isn't hard and scratches easily...
Mikes Hobby Shop

Last edited by symmetricon; 12-08-2015 at 10:13 AM.
symmetricon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 07:16 AM   #9535
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Xb4 2015

I have just purchases the 2015 version and was wondering who other then Spec R and Exotek that make aftermarket alumn parts for this model that are decent.
Thanks
Ktoboll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 09:44 AM   #9536
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentKa View Post

Bent
I think some people want aluminum caps really badly. Kind of funny, when I raced for AE, we always put the plastic caps on and tossed the aluminum caps.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:23 AM   #9537
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentKa View Post

Bent
Is there something wrong with the shocks? No. Is there room for improvement/upgrade? In my opinion , yes.

I have the 2015 spec, so I don't have the new anodizing, but the shocks are good. What I am surprised to see is no option for machined pistons from xray. Of course there are aftermarket companies that offer machined pistons, but for such a high end kit to only offer tree style pistons just is sub par.

The issue that I have experienced(which I have seen others post about) is getting air into the shocks(especially in the rear). I have built the shocks with green slime and also using the method of soaking the rings in the oil while prepping the shocks to be built, but I have the same results. I am not referring to air in the initial bleeding of the shocks, i am referring to having to reset my ride height in the rear because after one battery pack, the shocks have gotten air in them. I have replaced the orings and still have the same issue. Removing the shocks to see the rebound further confirms that air has gotten into the shocks because when I build/bleed the shocks I have zero rebound, but after running a battery and removing the shock, removing the spring, there is considerable rebound (like 50%). I tried associated x rings in hopes of fixing this issue, but those do not work at all because of sizing.

At this point, I love the car, but I'm ready to buy a set of kyosho shocks and throw them on the car. I read this thread regularly and I have tried everything suggested, but I am not sure what to do. The car handles great, easy to work on, etc, but I want to fix this shock issue I am having.

Has anyone used a different shock set on the xb4? Do Kyosho shocks or Associated have the same measurements? Any info is welcome.
Freeski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 10:29 AM   #9538
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to kuruption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeski View Post
Is there something wrong with the shocks? No. Is there room for improvement/upgrade? In my opinion , yes.

I have the 2015 spec, so I don't have the new anodizing, but the shocks are good. What I am surprised to see is no option for machined pistons from xray. Of course there are aftermarket companies that offer machined pistons, but for such a high end kit to only offer tree style pistons just is sub par.

The issue that I have experienced(which I have seen others post about) is getting air into the shocks(especially in the rear). I have built the shocks with green slime and also using the method of soaking the rings in the oil while prepping the shocks to be built, but I have the same results. I am not referring to air in the initial bleeding of the shocks, i am referring to having to reset my ride height in the rear because after one battery pack, the shocks have gotten air in them. I have replaced the orings and still have the same issue. Removing the shocks to see the rebound further confirms that air has gotten into the shocks because when I build/bleed the shocks I have zero rebound, but after running a battery and removing the shock, removing the spring, there is considerable rebound (like 50%). I tried associated x rings in hopes of fixing this issue, but those do not work at all because of sizing.

At this point, I love the car, but I'm ready to buy a set of kyosho shocks and throw them on the car. I read this thread regularly and I have tried everything suggested, but I am not sure what to do. The car handles great, easy to work on, etc, but I want to fix this shock issue I am having.

Has anyone used a different shock set on the xb4? Do Kyosho shocks or Associated have the same measurements? Any info is welcome.
What you are describing is a side effect of running emulsion style shocks. I have run AE and TLR stuff too, and if you run that style, you need to expect that "settling" as well as redoing your shock oil more frequently (i.e. it gets dirtier quicker).

The settling actually makes effect within the first minute or two of a run, so I usually set my ride height 2mm higher when i rebuild shocks knowing the settling will happen.
kuruption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 10:32 AM   #9539
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Just set my car up indoor carpet with b5m shocks and like it so far compared to xray shocks.
BDRMBULLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 10:36 AM   #9540
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

When you build the shocks initially with zero rebound (freshly built) there is no air in the shocks. She shock shafts displaces all the air. When you pull the shock shafts out there is a vacuum, rc shock will always pull some air in blue to this vacuum. The shocks will always try to reach equilibrium in pressure between vacuum (stroked out) and pressure (fully compressed) meaning at 50% rebound the shocks will have the same pressure inside the shock as outside the shock. At full compression the pressure value will be equal yet opposite to the vacuum when the shock is fully stroked. You should regularly blead your shocks of excess air if you are trying to get 0 rebound.
Mikes Hobby Shop
symmetricon is offline   Reply With Quote