R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree52Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-26-2015, 02:32 PM   #9466
Tech Regular
 
Nat Maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 424
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Can someone please confirm if the front and rear diff cases are the same

I see that the part numbers are different but are they actually different

Perhaps going even further perhaps the top case is the same but the main section is different

Cheers
__________________
XB815 | XB416 | B5M | T5M | SC5M
FUTABA 4PX | LRP | SAVOX | XP

"The person saying it cannot be done should stop interrupting the person doing it"
Nat Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 03:13 PM   #9467
Boz
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Australia
Posts: 969
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat Maniac View Post
Can someone please confirm if the front and rear diff cases are the same

I see that the part numbers are different but are they actually different

Perhaps going even further perhaps the top case is the same but the main section is different

Cheers
It was just the mounting point for the top plates on the old car. Due to the bulkhead being mounted on the rack, where the top plate was mount was angled so the top plate or x brace would sits flat. You could use the front on the rear, but the body post would be on a angle (that's if you are using one).
__________________
Chris Bozich
Xray XB8 XB4 XB2
Futaba 4PX and servo's
Powered by Nosram motors and FX engines.
Many thanks to HEI and Perth RC for their support over the years.
Boz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 03:13 PM   #9468
Tech Elite
 
symmetricon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: houston
Posts: 4,721
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat Maniac View Post
Can someone please confirm if the front and rear diff cases are the same

I see that the part numbers are different but are they actually different

Perhaps going even further perhaps the top case is the same but the main section is different

Cheers
They are different.
__________________
XRAY / RCAMERICA
JCONCEPTS
RCSHOX
Mikes Hobby Shop
symmetricon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 02:52 AM   #9469
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Cyprus
Posts: 235
Send a message via Skype™ to djbxp
Default

Anybody running 3S Lipo using lower KV motor ? Can be done to achieve better efficiency and runtime ? Will it be race class legal ?
djbxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 03:43 AM   #9470
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: England
Posts: 320
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbxp View Post
Anybody running 3S Lipo using lower KV motor ? Can be done to achieve better efficiency and runtime ? Will it be race class legal ?
Why would you need more run time? A race is a little over 5 minutes long & with modern lipos, you can last 15 minutes easy with a 5.5, so I don't see the need
__________________
X-Factory UK / Carisma Racing/ Corally/ Vampire Racing /TEKIN/ AVID/ JConcepts / Lunsford / Exotek Racing / Hiro Seiko / RDRP / GRP Tyres/ Tuning Haus/ DMSPARTZ / McKune/ RCS Graphic Workz / WTF / DMS Racing / Model Junction
John Myall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 03:59 AM   #9471
Tech Addict
 
HSV427's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 546
Trader Rating: 22 (96%+)
Default

Wow put the car on the track today with the 12 degree c-hubs and people were right its a night and day difference, yes they are expensive but with how much it improved the car it was worth every cent.
__________________
Serpent 988, OS speed shimo edition, Serpent 977 35th anniversary. OS speed shimo edition Serpent 977 evo2, Novarossi Mito WC35 2017, Shepherd Velox, O.S Speed r2102, Motonica p81rs2, REDS Racing M7 WCS V3.0, , CM 1/8 INFINITY O.S Speed 2103.
HSV427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 06:22 AM   #9472
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Cyprus
Posts: 235
Send a message via Skype™ to djbxp
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Myall View Post
Why would you need more run time? A race is a little over 5 minutes long & with modern lipos, you can last 15 minutes easy with a 5.5, so I don't see the need
Higher voltage will give lower current for the same power and this will give better efficiency overall and also lower C rating on batteries. This is not purely for run time but also for practice reasons. Faster charges between batteries and 3S lower C rating are cheaper batteries.

Also am asking this :
1. to know if it is possible from technical point of view on the XB4.
2. to learn if it is race class legal to run on 3S Lipo.

Thanks for the support anyway.
djbxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 06:50 AM   #9473
Tech Champion
 
tony montana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Leonardtown Md.
Posts: 6,137
Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Default

Raced my 15 last weekend, car was not very good, basically stock setup with shorty, and 100k in the center diff, I basically just need the car to calm down some and be more predictable. Don't really wanna loose the steering, but need a tick more rear grip. Do not wanna run saddles either, suggestions?
__________________
K.C. Guy. Team Xray - rc america
tony montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 06:53 AM   #9474
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: England
Posts: 320
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbxp View Post
Higher voltage will give lower current for the same power and this will give better efficiency overall and also lower C rating on batteries. This is not purely for run time but also for practice reasons. Faster charges between batteries and 3S lower C rating are cheaper batteries.

Also am asking this :
1. to know if it is possible from technical point of view on the XB4.
2. to learn if it is race class legal to run on 3S Lipo.

Thanks for the support anyway.
Someone else might know if you can fit a 3S lipo in, I've not looked at one to know for sure, but you might need a '13-15 spec car, as they can take saddles.

Not sure about Cyprus if it's legal there or not, but here in the UK & I'd imagine most places, but it's 2S only.

A club might let you run 3S though.
__________________
X-Factory UK / Carisma Racing/ Corally/ Vampire Racing /TEKIN/ AVID/ JConcepts / Lunsford / Exotek Racing / Hiro Seiko / RDRP / GRP Tyres/ Tuning Haus/ DMSPARTZ / McKune/ RCS Graphic Workz / WTF / DMS Racing / Model Junction
John Myall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 07:15 AM   #9475
Tech Adept
 
cokemaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Spring, TX
Posts: 235
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbxp View Post
Higher voltage will give lower current for the same power and this will give better efficiency overall and also lower C rating on batteries. This is not purely for run time but also for practice reasons. Faster charges between batteries and 3S lower C rating are cheaper batteries.

Also am asking this :
1. to know if it is possible from technical point of view on the XB4.
2. to learn if it is race class legal to run on 3S Lipo.

Thanks for the support anyway.
1. The XB4 is designed to take a shorty battery, so you will need to find a 3s battery with the same physical dimension. Even though most ESCs can handle 3S, not all modified motors can. e.g. only Tekin 10.5T and up can handle this voltage.
2. According to ROAR, IFMAR, etc. it will not be legal. However, you local club can make exemptions.
cokemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 10:22 AM   #9476
Tech Elite
 
rcgod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 3,045
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony montana View Post
Raced my 15 last weekend, car was not very good, basically stock setup with shorty, and 100k in the center diff, I basically just need the car to calm down some and be more predictable. Don't really wanna loose the steering, but need a tick more rear grip. Do not wanna run saddles either, suggestions?
3 dot front springs 1 dot rear. Rear arms and hubs forward.
__________________
Dialed RC Hobbies
rcgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 04:42 PM   #9477
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Leominster,Ma.
Posts: 655
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boz View Post
Center ball diff! That must be new?

Are you sure?
sorry bout that . It's front or rear . I am wondering if there coming out with a center ball diff though . Oops😊
Losi57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 06:48 AM   #9478
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,140
Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbxp View Post
Higher voltage will give lower current for the same power and this will give better efficiency overall and also lower C rating on batteries. This is not purely for run time but also for practice reasons. Faster charges between batteries and 3S lower C rating are cheaper batteries.

Also am asking this :
1. to know if it is possible from technical point of view on the XB4.
2. to learn if it is race class legal to run on 3S Lipo.

Thanks for the support anyway.

Efficiency is relative.

1. not without major custom modifications, actually all of the 10th scale competition cars would need major custom modifications.
2. *not* race legal
Chris Furman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 09:01 AM   #9479
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lansing Mi
Posts: 503
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seth556 View Post
Move the arms forward, this will shift the weight of the car more towards the rear. Should give you less overall steering, but I find it's still a lot.

As mentioned, the 12* caster blocks will do wonders but they are expensive.


I was wondering about this because he said he has his 16spec setup to the book, and you suggested to move the arms forward. I was just wondering about this because isnt the book setup with the arms all the way forward? I mean they have it in the book so the 2mm is behind the hub pushing to forward correct? or are you not talking about that but talking about putting the 2mm shim in the back of the a arm where it connects to the diff case. thanks for clearing this up.
__________________
Kyosho Mp9E TKI3, Orion R8.1 with Orion 1900kv, Savox Tessman Edition
Losi 4.0E Orion r8.1 with Orion MR8 1750KV, Savox Tessman Edition
Xray Xb4 16spec Orion r10.1 with Orion 5.5t, Spectrum S6240
randy0025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 10:48 AM   #9480
Tech Elite
 
kuruption's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Southeast PA
Posts: 2,118
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to kuruption
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy0025 View Post
I was wondering about this because he said he has his 16spec setup to the book, and you suggested to move the arms forward. I was just wondering about this because isnt the book setup with the arms all the way forward? I mean they have it in the book so the 2mm is behind the hub pushing to forward correct? or are you not talking about that but talking about putting the 2mm shim in the back of the a arm where it connects to the diff case. thanks for clearing this up.
The '16 manual has you put the shim behind the front A-arm, but depending if you want to use the default clay setup, it recommends in front of the A-Arm. I think the book may be based on the default carpet setup, so depending on your surface, when you build the car, you may want to watch the setup sheets.
__________________
Ray Sundland
Eat. Sleep. Race. Repeat.
"Feel not as though it is a sphere we live on, rather an infinite plane which has the illusion of leading yourself back to a point of origin."
kuruption is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
EP buggies thread sim600 Malaysian R/C Racers 3586 03-31-2016 12:53 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 04:23 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net