Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Can the slipper be run de-coupled?
Mikes Hobby Shop
symmetricon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 06:05 PM   #9332
Tech Fanatic
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora La Reina de Los Ángeles del Río de Porciúncula, California, Unites States of America
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

ok, convinced. Got a XB4 coming my way. Thanks for the input.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:22 PM   #9333
Tech Regular

Just got my '16 and I'm excited to build it! What's the majority when it comes to motor/battery placement? I'm running on medium grip clay indoor. I'll be using a center diff so I could use some suggestions in regards to what diff oils I should be using. Thanks in advance for the help.

Cruizin With R/C, RCBZ, Xray, Hudy, Novarossi USA, Futaba, Avid RC
Poppin Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 11:05 PM   #9334
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppin Fresh View Post
Just got my '16 and I'm excited to build it! What's the majority when it comes to motor/battery placement? I'm running on medium grip clay indoor. I'll be using a center diff so I could use some suggestions in regards to what diff oils I should be using. Thanks in advance for the help.
I ran the 15 car with the center dif with the motor rear and left and servo right in shorty with oils F7k/C60k/R5K. Shocks F42.5/R37.5. I mimicked this setup on my 16 car and it felt alright but not as smooth as the 15 car did with those settings. Shocks were good, changed rear dif to 7k and the car felt much better. Also removed the rear center stiffener on suggestion. This, to me, made the car less twitchy. Ride height was 22mm/F&R. It's damn good on clay like this.
Old 11-14-2015, 12:29 AM   #9335
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppin Fresh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by likea45 View Post
I ran the 15 car with the center dif with the motor rear and left and servo right in shorty with oils F7k/C60k/R5K. Shocks F42.5/R37.5. I mimicked this setup on my 16 car and it felt alright but not as smooth as the 15 car did with those settings. Shocks were good, changed rear dif to 7k and the car felt much better. Also removed the rear center stiffener on suggestion. This, to me, made the car less twitchy. Ride height was 22mm/F&R. It's damn good on clay like this.
Ditch the low viscosity oils for the center and go minimum 500'.

On blown out loose tracks we run 500'cst. in the center and for medium to high grip we run 1mill. cst. and for really high grip we run 2mill. cst.

Running low viscosity oils in the center just makes the car nervous and unbalanced and you need to compromise on setup.

There's a reason so many are gong back to the slipper setup with close to 50/50 power distribution front to rear. When driven hard these small vehicles likes to be more balanced front to rear than their bigger 1/8 counterparts.

In the video posted above here Malin is running 1mill. cst. on medium grip clay.
As always we also tried 500' cst. as well as 300 cst. and dropping the weight makes it slower and much more unpredictable with power transferring front to rear all the time going off and on power.

For medium clay go with 1 dot springs front (#368183) and rear (#368284).

Drill your pistons to 2x1.6 front with 600cst and 2x1.7 rear with 500cst (use either the blanks that come in the kit or the stock 2x1.4 for this).

Order the medium side pods (#361265) and medium chassis braces front (#361294) and rear (#361295).
This will give you more suitable flex for low to medium grip tracks.

The alu. rear uprights will give you better rotation in the corners if you have a very tight track.

Start with 8'/500'/8' for the diffs.

Due to the balance in the new '16 it likes the diff oils to be closer in weight front to rear.

Bent
DubiDesign | Maugrafix | YeahRacing | rcMart | IB Prostart
Follow Malin on Facebook for race reports and setup tips
BentKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 05:41 AM   #9336
Tech Rookie

Bent
Could you please explain how alu rear uprights gives more rotation, I don't understand the theory behind it.
Thanks
UKracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 09:06 AM   #9337
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKracer1 View Post
Bent
Could you please explain how alu rear uprights gives more rotation, I don't understand the theory behind it.
Thanks
Alu. uprights are stiffer and more direct.
Makes the car more responsive and quicker to rotate.

Try it for yourself

Bent
Old 11-14-2015, 03:57 PM   #9338
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Hey just got a xb4 15. I know the 16 car just came out. But the majority of the breakable parts transfer to the 16 and 15 car?
Old 11-15-2015, 01:04 AM   #9339
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentKa View Post
Ditch the low viscosity oils for the center and go minimum 500'.

On blown out loose tracks we run 500'cst. in the center and for medium to high grip we run 1mill. cst. and for really high grip we run 2mill. cst.

Running low viscosity oils in the center just makes the car nervous and unbalanced and you need to compromise on setup.

There's a reason so many are gong back to the slipper setup with close to 50/50 power distribution front to rear. When driven hard these small vehicles likes to be more balanced front to rear than their bigger 1/8 counterparts.

In the video posted above here Malin is running 1mill. cst. on medium grip clay.
As always we also tried 500' cst. as well as 300 cst. and dropping the weight makes it slower and much more unpredictable with power transferring front to rear all the time going off and on power.

For medium clay go with 1 dot springs front (#368183) and rear (#368284).

Drill your pistons to 2x1.6 front with 600cst and 2x1.7 rear with 500cst (use either the blanks that come in the kit or the stock 2x1.4 for this).

Order the medium side pods (#361265) and medium chassis braces front (#361294) and rear (#361295).
This will give you more suitable flex for low to medium grip tracks.

The alu. rear uprights will give you better rotation in the corners if you have a very tight track.

Start with 8'/500'/8' for the diffs.

Due to the balance in the new '16 it likes the diff oils to be closer in weight front to rear.

Bent
I usually agree with your advice but for our tracks here in the US 500k doesn't work and 1million is even worse. Myself and others have tried it over and over as this was Xrays initial clay reccomendation but the car performs like a locked down slipper with that high a viscosity oil. Lowered the CD viscosity and the car came to life.
Old 11-15-2015, 01:23 AM   #9340
Tech Master

Quote:
I usually agree with your advice but for our tracks here in the US 500k doesn't work and 1million is even worse. Myself and others have tried it over and over as this was Xrays initial clay reccomendation but the car performs like a locked down slipper with that high a viscosity oil. Lowered the CD viscosity and the car came to life.
NO…….the center diff with 1mill cst oil is FAR FROM a locked down slipper.

It has plenty of diff action with a lot of front wheel pull.

We ran the center diff in the '14 and '15 prototype for 8 months before being released to the public testing almost every single viscosity and the entire team of drivers reported the same.

Car is much slower and much more unstable with less forward drive with the lower viscosity oils in the center diff.

There is a good reason people go faster when they switch from center diffs with anything 50' - 100' oils and back to slipper setup……….

If running the center diff with 500' to 1mill oils are causing you problems then you have other issues with your setup and just masking it with the loose center diff.

Bent
Old 11-15-2015, 02:49 AM   #9341
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
I have to agree with you likea45 , at my local track which is hard packed dusty
dirt i started out with 100k centre diff fluid then gradually kept going down in viscosity and ended up with 8k .My lap times are much faster with the lower
viscosity. 8/8/2 works really well at my track, oh and Bentka the video you posted
with Malin in the e final well i can see a blue groove on the racing line around the whole track do you really call that medium traction? just sayin.
Old 11-15-2015, 03:17 AM   #9342
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPR 1 View Post
dirt i started out with 100k centre diff fluid then gradually kept going down in viscosity and ended up with 8k .My lap times are much faster with the lower
viscosity. 8/8/2 works really well at my track, oh and Bentka the video you posted
with Malin in the e final well i can see a blue groove on the racing line around the whole track do you really call that medium traction? just sayin.
I this loose enough for you ?

With 500' cst in the center diff

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

XB4 with 8' in the center diff is horrible……..unless you're going reeeaaaaallly slow that is

Bent
Old 11-15-2015, 03:52 AM   #9343
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPR 1 View Post
Add another person who agrees with 100K in the center diff. I run on a high bite clay at two different tracks and 100K works the best for me. Anything higher than that and the car gets too twitchy and the front wheels over power the rear wheels, causing the rear of the car to get slung around . . . especially when trying to power out of a turn.

The XB4 is not "that" different from the other popular 4wds with 3 gear diffs (i.e. D413, B44.3) and those cars also seem to run optimally at 80-100K in the center diffs as well. I own a D413 as well and run 100K in the center of that vehicle and again, it proves to be the fastest/most consistent set-up for me.
XRAY 17 XB4
Yokomo YZ-2 CA
Wease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 03:59 AM   #9344
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

I sold my 15 because I kept trying the heavy center diff fluid. I ended up using 500k after 1mill and it was better but not nearly as fast as my yok with slipper. I've tried almost every set up on the Xray site. The car was best with stock set up with center slipper. On medium bite indoor clay.
Jamison R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 04:01 AM   #9345
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Wish I had tried100k now. Oh well too late. Bent your border line insulting Xray customers. Might want to back off a little.
Jamison R is offline   Reply With Quote