Like Tree36Likes

Old 10-23-2015, 08:35 AM   #9001
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by dMITIj View Post
what is "culprit"?

and what do you mean by "Hacked"?
The reason for the issues......as in it's almost always an user error.

She got taken out by other drivers......which is usually what they end up doing when they can't outrun her.
Nothing new to us but getting a bit old now......

Bent
BentKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 09:00 AM   #9002
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentKa View Post
The reason for the issues......as in it's almost always an user error.

She got taken out by other drivers......which is usually what they end up doing when they can't outrun her.
Nothing new to us but getting a bit old now......

Bent
Hmm if they go after the car intentionally they should be disqualified ASAP!

it's not the way to drive and ppl have to remember that a lots of other new newcomers/drivers maybe are looking and learn that this behavior is "okay" its a sad way if the sport go in that direction but i guss it's hard to get beat by a little girl.
ORION CARBON PRO 4500 100C 7.4V SHORTY PACK x3.
Sanwa MT4S Radio/RX-481 receiver & Xpert RC PI-3402 Brushless Servo.
dMITIj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 09:12 AM   #9003
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd581 View Post
Will the slipper and new pads still work with a drilled out 69T associated spur?
Planning on running 17.5 in my '16 (when it arrives) will leave my '15 for mod
And when you do run that size spur, what range of pinion fits?
we were running 78/28 if I remember right, with Certified 1s Trinity. plus a heatsink and fan.

https://www.facebook.com/2015XB4/pho...type=3&theater
MaricopaAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 10:12 AM   #9004
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
We run the same bevel and pinion gear for a full season with no issues.

There's a reason why when we go to the track to practice and do setup testing we get 600+ laps done in an evening and the other guys get maybe 150-200 and spend the rest of the time wrenching.
  • Over-tightened screws for bulkhead cover
  • Over-tightened screws for diff housing
  • Worn out bulkhead
  • Already stripped one of the gears and only replaced one of them
  • Shot bearings
  • Slipper cranked down way too hard (we run 0mm on the spring)

In 98 out of the 100 times I help people at the track with stripped gears one of these things are the culprit.

Sometimes I wish everyone should have been forced to own a late 80's or early 90's race car running brushed motors and Nimh batteries before owning any R/C car at all so you would actually know the real struggle of keeping a car race ready

Bent
YES, we have it so good now. I love that I ran a motor for 3 seasons an never had to do anything to it.

As far as over tightening, what torque value should the screws have, after threads have been chased in the bulkhead and diff? I have a really nice torque wrench that I can use to set, then find out where on my electric driver the clutch will stop driving them at about the correct torque.
Old 10-23-2015, 12:01 PM   #9005
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gticlay View Post
YES, we have it so good now. I love that I ran a motor for 3 seasons an never had to do anything to it.

As far as over tightening, what torque value should the screws have, after threads have been chased in the bulkhead and diff? I have a really nice torque wrench that I can use to set, then find out where on my electric driver the clutch will stop driving them at about the correct torque.
I'd like to see and answer to this. How do we determine if we are over-tightening the screws?

**** "Luxury" ****
EricW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 05:58 PM   #9006
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

Quote:
We run the same bevel and pinion gear for a full season with no issues.

There's a reason why when we go to the track to practice and do setup testing we get 600+ laps done in an evening and the other guys get maybe 150-200 and spend the rest of the time wrenching.
  • Over-tightened screws for bulkhead cover
  • Over-tightened screws for diff housing
  • Worn out bulkhead
  • Already stripped one of the gears and only replaced one of them
  • Shot bearings
  • Slipper cranked down way too hard (we run 0mm on the spring)

In 98 out of the 100 times I help people at the track with stripped gears one of these things are the culprit.

For the remaining 2 out of 100 we change parts, problem goes away and we never actually pin pointed the exact issue.

What I'm trying to say is……..I'm always told by the owner that everything's perfect and every part has been inspected before I start disassembling…….but almost every single time I find one of the top 4 things on the list to be the culprit……why is that

Race kits with todays high powered motors (we run a boosted 4.5T) DO demand some actual maintenance from the owner to be able to withstand the abuse we throw at them.

Sometimes I wish everyone should have been forced to own a late 80's or early 90's race car running brushed motors and Nimh batteries before owning any R/C car at all so you would actually know the real struggle of keeping a car race ready

Here's Malin running at the worlds with her XB4 '16 with boosted 4.5T and slipper set to absolute minimum = 0mm gap.

So I can't for the life of me understand why people at the track need to run their slippers cranked down……..and then proceed to cry about why their gears wear out

The answer I usually get is; "I'm having problems clearing that jump……"

Rant over

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

PS! Not aimed at you personally ResultsRC

Bent
What a load off rubbish the typical crap we have come to expect from team drivers denying there is a problem and trying to make out that us the consumer are the problem, let me tell you something bentka i have been in rc since the 80s and no exactly what it takes to look after a race car, at the end off every race day i pull my xb4 down rebuild shocks, diffs, oil bearings and change any worn out or damaged parts yet i still keep having rear gear failure. If the gear is failing due to the handful of reasons you mentioned above then why is it only happening in the rear off the car and not the front i build my front and rear bulkheads are built exactly the same and why does X-ray not mention any of these building tips in there instructions, and before you say it i run my slipper with zero gap, so before you come on hear and fill our heads with rubbish and try and make out the gear failure is our problem think again, its time X-ray stopped denying the problem and just fixed it, don't forget we have seen this kinda of rubbish done before like when they tried to make out there was no problem with the rear suspension holder. I understand your need to defend X-ray as you are part off the factory team but please don't insult my intelligence and tell me the gear failure is my fault and also why does the problem only occur in my modified xb4 and not my stock one. And so you no i love X-ray and also hate when people rubbish XRAY, in my opinion it is the best kit on the market thats why i own 4 of them. FIX THE PROBLEM AND DONT TALK CRAP
Old 10-23-2015, 06:36 PM   #9007
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

+ 1 well said
i love my X-ray kit but when that RR+2 hinge pine holder came out
off centred and X-ray said it was supposed to be like that i thought you got to be kidding!Why did they bring out a symmetrical one shortly after?
Old 10-23-2015, 07:47 PM   #9008
Boz
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSV427 View Post
What a load off rubbish the typical crap we have come to expect from team drivers denying there is a problem and trying to make out that us the consumer are the problem, let me tell you something bentka i have been in rc since the 80s and no exactly what it takes to look after a race car, at the end off every race day i pull my xb4 down rebuild shocks, diffs, oil bearings and change any worn out or damaged parts yet i still keep having rear gear failure. If the gear is failing due to the handful of reasons you mentioned above then why is it only happening in the rear off the car and not the front i build my front and rear bulkheads are built exactly the same and why does X-ray not mention any of these building tips in there instructions, and before you say it i run my slipper with zero gap, so before you come on hear and fill our heads with rubbish and try and make out the gear failure is our problem think again, its time X-ray stopped denying the problem and just fixed it, don't forget we have seen this kinda of rubbish done before like when they tried to make out there was no problem with the rear suspension holder. I understand your need to defend X-ray as you are part off the factory team but please don't insult my intelligence and tell me the gear failure is my fault and also why does the problem only occur in my modified xb4 and not my stock one. And so you no i love X-ray and also hate when people rubbish XRAY, in my opinion it is the best kit on the market thats why i own 4 of them. FIX THE PROBLEM AND DONT TALK CRAP
Then why can I race all year round and not destroy any? I'm still using the composite gear too!!! Our track had sugared surface, It was only changed 9months ago to a more natural dirt. The last time I striped any gear (satellite ones) was at the Mildura Nats on sugared track, about +2 years ago.

Thanks Bentka for the list of things to look for. We have a driver at my track striping gears, but he is running my first XB4. It's old and well used by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPR 1 View Post
+ 1 well said
i love my X-ray kit but when that RR+2 hinge pine holder came out
off centred and X-ray said it was supposed to be like that i thought you got to be kidding!Why did they bring out a symmetrical one shortly after?
Yeah, that was a bit of a balls up. Personally, I didn't notice any difference after screwing the updated hanger on! I think Xray looked at it from there POV which they believed was correct, only when it was pointed out by a few onwers, some was done and they made the changes. Hey, not one of us complained about it in the first two editions of the car.