Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree38Likes

Old 11-29-2012, 07:32 AM   #76
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to nv529

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuruption View Post
Just last week I measured the depth of the hexes on an AE wheel versus a TLR wheel, and the AE wheel was 1mm deeper, so it would've reduced my track width by 2mm overall.

If the wheels are the same, why do companies like JConcepts and DE Racing make different wheels for TLR vs AE?
my bad, I was thinking XXX/XX4 and B4/B44 rear wheels.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:34 AM   #77
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to kuruption

Quote:
Originally Posted by nv529 View Post
my bad, I was thinking XXX/XX4 and B4/B44 rear wheels.
That's fine... you would've solved a problem for me if they were the same... I was just pretty sure they measured differently.
kuruption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:41 AM   #78
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Buckland

Quote:
That's fine... you would've solved a problem for me if they were the same... I was just pretty sure they measured differently.
I haven't measured myself but I'm pretty sure the hex depth of the losi is greater, but the backspacing at the base of the hex is the same. So while the losi hex seats deeper, the offset is the same. I run losi/proline(b4) hex wheels on my cars and while the thickness at the axle and depth of the hex is obvious, I have never noticed a change in offset.

Please correct me if I'm totally wrong on this. If I am, I cannot understand how companies are advertising wheels as b4/rb5/22?
Old 11-29-2012, 10:52 AM   #79
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to nv529

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckland View Post
I haven't measured myself but I'm pretty sure the hex depth of the losi is greater, but the backspacing at the base of the hex is the same. So while the losi hex seats deeper, the offset is the same. I run losi/proline(b4) hex wheels on my cars and while the thickness at the axle and depth of the hex is obvious, I have never noticed a change in offset.

Please correct me if I'm totally wrong on this. If I am, I cannot understand how companies are advertising wheels as b4/rb5/22?
Good question! Maybe it's small enough where each car falls within ROAR/IFMAR overall width spec regardless of the backspacing?

AKA, Avid RC, and Proline wheels are advertised as universal between AE, Losi, and Kyosho..
Old 11-29-2012, 11:09 AM   #80
Tech Elite

Quote:

I measure from the back of the rim to the bottom of the hex, then take into account the width of the rim itself. Do the same for the AE wheels, and you can get a number. I use the bottom of the hex because that's where the hex from the shaft would sit, thus defining the width. The top of the hex is arbitrary -- if the hex is too deep, it will hit the hub... if it's too shallow, it'll just reduce surface area.

Offset = (Depth of bottom of hex to inside rim of wheel) - (Width of Rim / 2)

Assuming 70mm width, 36mm from rim to bottom of hex would mean you have a offset of 1mm (wheel comes in 1mm from center)

At least, that's what I would figure.. but like you, I could be wrong.

Even if there is a difference, you could possibly use wider/narrower hexes to account for the differences.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:43 AM   #81
Suspended

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
I measure from the back of the rim to the bottom of the hex, then take into account the width of the rim itself. Do the same for the AE wheels, and you can get a number. I use the bottom of the hex because that's where the hex from the shaft would sit, thus defining the width. The top of the hex is arbitrary -- if the hex is too deep, it will hit the hub... if it's too shallow, it'll just reduce surface area.

Offset = (Depth of bottom of hex to inside rim of wheel) - (Width of Rim / 2)

Assuming 70mm width, 36mm from rim to bottom of hex would mean you have a offset of 1mm (wheel comes in 1mm from center)

At least, that's what I would figure.. but like you, I could be wrong.

Even if there is a difference, you could possibly use wider/narrower hexes to account for the differences.
After all this talk of 14mm hexes and wheel offset someone finally brings to light the intelligent solution. Who cares what the car comes with. If you don't suck as a car builder you can pretty much run any wheels.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:49 AM   #82
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

why not use the 2wd standard. Most all majors have a 12 mm hex. I am hoping they provide a 12mm hub option as well.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:32 PM   #83
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8rtot View Post
if you have to buy wheels, whats it matter what the hex is? b/c it doesn't say JC or PL on the rim? sell off your old tires or bake them off the rim when you switch cars if you have them existing.. its a hobby be prepared to spend spend spend
I have about 50 pairs of new Kyosho wheels with 12mm hex, thats why...

I love this hobby and have spent a lot (and I mean a lot) of money on racing multiple classes for 12 years+ So dont worry, I know it costs...
Old 11-29-2012, 12:41 PM   #84
Tech Addict

Might just be as easy as a hub change though.

But if 14mm hexes makes a better wheel then I m all for it.

Just get the cars released soon!
Old 11-29-2012, 12:43 PM   #85
Tech Elite

Xray makes 12mm hexes for their TCs, and they make them in different widths. So assuming the axle diameter is the same, there's your answer if you choose to use 12mm, you may need new pins too (also available for the TC!)
Old 11-29-2012, 02:21 PM   #86
WRR
Tech Adept

Car inspection....

Some nice paint work is required to make that look good..
Old 11-29-2012, 02:51 PM   #87
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nv529 View Post
AKA, Avid RC, and Proline wheels are advertised as universal between AE, Losi, and Kyosho..
Half of them aren't. I ran into this issue with my K's. The wheels all sit slightly further in by about 1-2mm - and the 2wd ones usually have to be spaced out as K's have really shallow hexes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRR View Post
Car inspection....

Some nice paint work is required to make that look good..
I'm just hoping it won't be super noisy metal diffs like Durango. looks like a pretty standard layout though. I wonder if the metal towers are actually needed - and if they will release a CF tower later.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:19 PM   #88
Tech Elite

That body's ultra ugly. Hope a few aftermarket show up soon. Still a toss up between this and the cat K1.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:59 PM   #89
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to ChrisP

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloksatoor View Post
That body's ultra ugly. Hope a few aftermarket show up soon. Still a toss up between this and the cat K1.
Isn't that a prerequisite of the buggy classes these days?? ugly cab forward body for downforce?
Old 11-29-2012, 04:02 PM   #90
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
Isn't that a prerequisite of the buggy classes these days?? ugly cab forward body for downforce?
Dunno man the new cat K1 is pretty tempting.... I don't hate cab fwds all together but some are super ugly. This would look nicer if the rear was a bit lower and flatter (more swooping).