R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree36Likes

Old 10-22-2015, 09:11 AM   #8971
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkalt View Post
Can't speak to the shock shafts, but I can tell you that B5 shocks are a direct bolt-on.
I'm going this route. My shocks are too hammered to make it worth rebuilding since I can get a good deal on some b5m shocks from a buddy
JJG690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 09:39 AM   #8972
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by suby723 View Post
Better stick to traxxass then! NO race level kit is going to come with all/any of that.
I didn't say I had a problem spending the money on a good kit. However I do have a problem purchasing a premium priced kit that has known parts that do not last. I've purchased my last Traxxas product a while ago.
3908 Emaxx (All RPM Suspension, Custom setup shocks by me, Tacon 4074, Xerun 150a, SPC Racing 2s & 3s 70C 7200 Lipos, Proline Desperado's, T-Bone front & rear bumpers, steel skids w/ custom cut oem skids on top, and a destroyed drive train under construction...) & lots of Nitro and Electric Airplanes.
COP4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 09:45 AM   #8973
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by COP4 View Post
For such an expensive kit, I am basically reading that their shocks are basically junk? Green Slime or not, the shocks should not wear out that fast. Coming from someone that has run mostly monster trucks, Green Slime is not an absolute must, but it is definitely recommended. I'm building a set of Supermaxx SuperShocks and I am using Green Slime on these. These are too expensive not to.

Either way, for the cost of these kits that come with no electronics, and unpainted body and no foam inserts/ tires, you would think they would have the resources to offer the remainder of the kit in top notch form. Hearing this will probably keep me from purchasing their new XB4 16. Too much coin to spend on a kit that I will constantly have to maintenance or rebuild parts. If I want that, I'd just buy another Traxxas vehicle.
One major flaw with forums like this is that every backyard basher out there is an expert…….

The Xray shocks……when built properly…….are some of the best out there…….in fact they are currently THE best shocks in the world at the moment if you should follow the logic of some people on here.

They blame the shocks for their shortcomings on the track………well I praise the shocks for helping Xray win the World Championship this year

We've raced the XB4 for 3 years now both nationally and internationally and I still haven't had the need to shim the diffs or change anything in the shocks.

We run the stock o-rings and stock pistons (drilled to spec) with only regular Hudy oil for sealing and have never had a problem.

We trash on the gears month after month on high grip astro and carpet tracks with 1.000.000 cst in the center diff without any issues at all………..we run in the dirt…..on clay…….and in the mud when it rains………

Of course the buggy needs maintenance……..just like every other buggy out there

These are race kits designed to give you the edge on the track.

If you want a basher……..then a Traxxas might actually be a better choice for you.

If you want a buggy to get into racing then the XB4 is one of the best choices out there at the moment

Bent

DubiDesign | Maugrafix | YeahRacing | rcMart | IB Prostart
Follow Malin on Facebook for race reports and setup tips
BentKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 09:47 AM   #8974
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by suby723 View Post
Green slime is absolutely key to building a proper set of shocks.
Not true……we solely use regular silicone shock oil when building shocks.

Bent
Old 10-22-2015, 11:14 AM   #8975
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
For such an expensive kit, I am basically reading that their shocks are basically junk? Green Slime or not, the shocks should not wear out that fast. Coming from someone that has run mostly monster trucks, Green Slime is not an absolute must, but it is definitely recommended. I'm building a set of Supermaxx SuperShocks and I am using Green Slime on these. These are too expensive not to.

Either way, for the cost of these kits that come with no electronics, and unpainted body and no foam inserts/ tires, you would think they would have the resources to offer the remainder of the kit in top notch form. Hearing this will probably keep me from purchasing their new XB4 16. Too much coin to spend on a kit that I will constantly have to maintenance or rebuild parts. If I want that, I'd just buy another Traxxas vehicle.
These are race kits. They won't have the items you mentioned.
Expensive? It's all relative. Within the wheeler racing category the XB4 kit price is comparable to the other cars such as the Yokomo, Sworks, Schumacher, Serpent except for Associated/Losi.
If you don't plan to purchase the XB4 that's your choice but expect the same issues you mentioned with any of the other kits. They all don't have electronics. They all have unpainted bodies. They all don't have tires (I think). They all require more maintenance. Keep in mind we are running low wind high power motors in these things. Parts will wear out faster no matter which car you choose.
littleZEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 11:28 AM   #8976
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentKa View Post
One major flaw with forums like this is that every backyard basher out there is an expert…….

The Xray shocks……when built properly…….are some of the best out there…….in fact they are currently THE best shocks in the world at the moment if you should follow the logic of some people on here.

They blame the shocks for their shortcomings on the track………well I praise the shocks for helping Xray win the World Championship this year

We've raced the XB4 for 3 years now both nationally and internationally and I still haven't had the need to shim the diffs or change anything in the shocks.

We run the stock o-rings and stock pistons (drilled to spec) with only regular Hudy oil for sealing and have never had a problem.

We trash on the gears month after month on high grip astro and carpet tracks with 1.000.000 cst in the center diff without any issues at all………..we run in the dirt…..on clay…….and in the mud when it rains………

Of course the buggy needs maintenance……..just like every other buggy out there

These are race kits designed to give you the edge on the track.

If you want a basher……..then a Traxxas might actually be a better choice for you.

If you want a buggy to get into racing then the XB4 is one of the best choices out there at the moment

Bent

Bent,

Don't get me wrong, I truly believe the XB4 is a proven chassis by all means. I'm not a basher so to speak. I take care of my investments. I clean them after each day of use. I don't bash any of my RC's. Does my custom Maxx see a little bit of jumps and air? Sure, but nothing nearly as drastic as I have seen an XB4 jump during racing events. I have probably placed over $1500 in after market custom parts alone in my Maxx to get it the furthest away from Traxxas as one can get. The only thing left Traxxas on it is the center plastic chassis, RX, steering servos and transmission shimmed and with better bearings.

Moving forward, I am not looking to race at events. I am looking for a change of pace and random RC tracks to hit with a more professional chassis built exclusively for actual track use. Is this the right vehicle for me? I don't know. It is a chassis I have been looking at as a viable option though.

James
3908 Emaxx (All RPM Suspension, Custom setup shocks by me, Tacon 4074, Xerun 150a, SPC Racing 2s & 3s 70C 7200 Lipos, Proline Desperado's, T-Bone front & rear bumpers, steel skids w/ custom cut oem skids on top, and a destroyed drive train under construction...) & lots of Nitro and Electric Airplanes.
COP4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 11:33 AM   #8977
Tech Regular

Quote:
Not true……we solely use regular silicone shock oil when building shocks.

Bent
Hi Bent.

For how long do you soak the o-rings before build of the shocks?
ORION CARBON PRO 4500 100C 7.4V SHORTY PACK x3.
Sanwa MT4S Radio/RX-481 receiver & Xpert RC PI-3402 Brushless Servo.
dMITIj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 11:35 AM   #8978
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dMITIj View Post
Hi Bent.

For how long do you soak the o-rings before build of the shocks?
Normally 10-15 minutes.

Bent
Old 10-22-2015, 11:39 AM   #8979
Tech Regular

Quote:
Normally 10-15 minutes.

Bent
Thanks for the info.
ORION CARBON PRO 4500 100C 7.4V SHORTY PACK x3.
Sanwa MT4S Radio/RX-481 receiver & Xpert RC PI-3402 Brushless Servo.
dMITIj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 11:44 AM   #8980
Tech Master

Quote:
Bent,

Don't get me wrong, I truly believe the XB4 is a proven chassis by all means. I'm not a basher so to speak. I take care of my investments. I clean them after each day of use. I don't bash any of my RC's. Does my custom Maxx see a little bit of jumps and air? Sure, but nothing nearly as drastic as I have seen an XB4 jump during racing events. I have probably placed over $1500 in after market custom parts alone in my Maxx to get it the furthest away from Traxxas as one can get. The only thing left Traxxas on it is the center plastic chassis, RX, steering servos and transmission shimmed and with better bearings.

Moving forward, I am not looking to race at events. I am looking for a change of pace and random RC tracks to hit with a more professional chassis built exclusively for actual track use. Is this the right vehicle for me? I don't know. It is a chassis I have been looking at as a viable option though.

James
No need for expensive upgrades on the XB4, but some parts as sway bars, springs, chassis braces and sides are good investments if running on low to medium traction dirt or clay tracks.

For low to medium traction we use:
1 dot front and rear springs (standard is 3 & 2)
Medium chassis braces (standard is Hard)
Medium chassis side pods (standard is Hard)

Malin also prefers on low grip to run:

Center diff with 500.000 - 1.000.000 cst silicon grease

or

Ball diffs front and rear with stock slipper clutch

Bent
Old 10-22-2015, 11:48 AM   #8981
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Never had a shock issue. Been running them for 1.5 years. If they leak, you did it wrong. I still run the plastic caps and all.

Associated shock tend to let the pistons get sloppy and start breaking off e clips. Minus the new ones.

I have people tell me their car is better, well.. Good for you. Now go beat me with it.

I let other people drive my XB4, they tend to end up with one.
MaricopaAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 12:23 PM   #8982
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

How much longer till Amain ships it!!!???
DIRT DIGGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 12:31 PM   #8983
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

RC America said they expect the kits to show up around the end of the month.
jmcelroy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 03:31 PM   #8984
Tech Adept

Quote:
Normally 10-15 minutes.

Bent

That's very good Intel.

No slim just soaking in shock oil for 10-15mn. Did you build the cartidge dry after soaking or put some oil in there too ?

Btw do you know what kind of treatment was used for the new grey shocks body ?
Almost finished the car, very nice indeed.
mojo tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 04:53 PM   #8985
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I have never had an issue with my xb4 shocks either. Honestly they are better then my b5m shocks that have xrings. Those that have issues I just question your building procedures.
suby723 is offline   Reply With Quote