R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree36Likes

Old 01-23-2015, 03:29 AM   #6556
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Couple dumb newbie questions

We have a 2013 Xb4, what servo tape sticks good to this chassis texture? I'm having no luck with the good Parma clear tape.

Also, when it grabs good traction, especially on carpet, the drivetrain makes loud Cracking noises. I hear the 1/8 scale cars make this noise too. What causes it? I checked all the gears in the car.
Thanks!
prosport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 04:31 AM   #6557
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboboost View Post
carpet (moquette)
Then the Xray 2wd will work really well!

Check this out: http://www.thebigrc.com/xray-xb4/
GregerL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 04:35 AM   #6558
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosport View Post

We have a 2013 Xb4, what servo tape sticks good to this chassis texture? I'm having no luck with the good Parma clear tape.

Also, when it grabs good traction, especially on carpet, the drivetrain makes loud Cracking noises. I hear the 1/8 scale cars make this noise too. What causes it? I checked all the gears in the car.
Thanks!
It is most probably your bevel gear or pinion that is worn and skipping teeth. The steel versions from the '15 car is out now, a really good upgrade.

Regarding servo tape, we use clear tape as well, not the Parma version though, but the key to make this work has been to let it harden over night.

/G.

Last edited by GregerL; 01-23-2015 at 04:54 AM.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:38 AM   #6559
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:

Thanks!
You have chipped the large 35T bevel gear on the gear diff, and/or the 14T pinion gear inside the diff bulkhead, which is attached to the center drive shaft.

I don't use servo tape, I use a small gob of Shoo Goo to hold my ESC and receiver down, holds really well and if I need to remove them I just use a small flat head screw driver to get under the component and pry it up, pops out cleanly.
EB48SL/RX8/TekinT8i/Hitec7599/SMC4500(4S)
Grasshopper/Tekin FX/Twister 27T/FutabaS9551/Speed power
HeavyD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 07:36 AM   #6560
Tech Regular

Thanks guys, what does it cost to switch to all metal gears in a '13 xb4? I've had both diffs completely apart, no teeth missing, motor pinion is new. Maybe something isn't shimmed correctly. I didn't see any shims on the metal cross pin inside the diffs where the little spider gears go.

I did let the clear Parma tape setup overnight. I do have some shoo-goo to try.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:43 AM   #6561
Tech Adept

Quote:
Thanks guys, what does it cost to switch to all metal gears in a '13 xb4? I've had both diffs completely apart, no teeth missing, motor pinion is new. Maybe something isn't shimmed correctly. I didn't see any shims on the metal cross pin inside the diffs where the little spider gears go.

I did let the clear Parma tape setup overnight. I do have some shoo-goo to try.
Most likely it is the 14t bevel gear pinion inside the diff bulkhead that is somewhat chipped (see explanation above from HeavyD), can be hard to see sometimes.

Problems with the diff internals are rare and if there are you won't be able to hear it the way you described.

Edit:
Re-read your post and there should be shims behind the spider gears, check this exploded view: http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/sho...p?file_id=8941
However, the cracking noise is not likely coming from the spider gears in my opinion.

/G.

Last edited by GregerL; 01-23-2015 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Additions
Old 01-23-2015, 07:55 AM   #6562
Tech Adept

Quote:
Thanks guys, what does it cost to switch to all metal gears in a '13 xb4?
To do both diffs you need:

2x part no 364955
2x part no 365134
2x part no 364990 (comes in a pack of two, so you need one pack)

Don't know your local prices, but this should make it easy to check

/G.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:04 AM   #6563
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:

Thanks!
Use Trinity servo tape, make sure you clean both surfaces with motor cleaner before applying the tape. Never had anything come off using this tape. The Parma clear tape is sub par IMO.

**** "Luxury" ****
EricW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 08:23 AM   #6564
Tech Regular

Great info, thanks! I'm loving everything about this car and the tech help here makes it even better.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:39 AM   #6565
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by XraySupport View Post
The alu suspension blocks have asymmetrical holes made on purpose to offset the small differences in the composite bulkhead after they cool down after moulding. As such, the suspension blocks are all correct and after assembly everything is correct.

When composite parts are assembled with others parts using screws, they tend to bend in the direction of the screws. XRAY's legendary attention to the detail in this case ensures that all composite parts are measured after assembly and the tolerances of the moulds are adjusted to offset this kind of effect to ensure the geometry is correct.
Oh come on really!? Is this a damn joke!? Your telling me it's fine to have one side at 2.5 toe and the other at 3.5? You guys better swallow your pride and get this right for us. You can visibly see that the arm angles are off on each side. If this was the case then the old 5mm suspension holders would be the exact same. You guys dropped the ball and don't want to fess up to it. Seriously if you don't fix this issue im going to sell this car and never buy another xray car again.

Last edited by suby723; 01-23-2015 at 09:37 AM.
suby723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 08:57 AM   #6566
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Is anyone shimming the metal diffs. Side to side or shimming the 14t gear towards the large gear for smoother action . I just installed my metal gears last practice day. Im finding i get more motor n esc heat with the heavier gears.
BDRMBULLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:02 AM   #6567
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDRMBULLY View Post
Is anyone shimming the metal diffs. Side to side or shimming the 14t gear towards the large gear for smoother action . I just installed my metal gears last practice day. Im finding i get more motor n esc heat with the heavier gears.
I usually shim it side to side to take up if there is any extra play, but it won't make it smoother, probably a bit tighter but increase the life span of the gears.

It is likely that you will get some more heat, there is more mass to rotate with the update, so it is not unexpected. If the difference is really large though I would start checking for binding.

Have you shimmed it any from the start?

/G.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:26 AM   #6568
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 119 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XraySupport View Post
The alu suspension blocks have asymmetrical holes made on purpose to offset the small differences in the composite bulkhead after they cool down after moulding. As such, the suspension blocks are all correct and after assembly everything is correct.

When composite parts are assembled with others parts using screws, they tend to bend in the direction of the screws. XRAY's legendary attention to the detail in this case ensures that all composite parts are measured after assembly and the tolerances of the moulds are adjusted to offset this kind of effect to ensure the geometry is correct.
This has to be one of the single dumbest things I have ever read by a company rep and I can't believe anybody would eat this crap you're shoveling. you're telling me that the hangers are off on purpose to make up for the composite bulkheads being off? What a joke. If you know they're both off, why not just make them both properly? How about that?

This is nothing more than Xray trying get out of making this right for their customers. I had a LOSI SCTE and when it was found out that the diff pins inside the diffs were too soft, guess what losi did? They didn't come to us and say, "We made them out of soft steel on purpose so other components inside the diff wouldn't wear". No, they made a bunch of diff pins out of the right material and offered them up for free to their customers. When I bought my Tekno SCT410, it was from the first batch. Prior to release of the kit, but after they had already manufactured them, Tekno determined that the front suspension block was breaking under somewhat normal use. Guess what they did? No, they didn't come on here and say, "We kept it made from plastic because it's much lighter and that is an area where you want to keep weight off the chassis". Instead they included an aluminum suspension block in all the kits.

That's what companies who care about their products and their customers do. They don't offer up lame ass excuses for manufacturing defects.
RC*PHREAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:31 AM   #6569
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricW View Post
Use Trinity servo tape, make sure you clean both surfaces with motor cleaner before applying the tape. Never had anything come off using this tape. The Parma clear tape is sub par IMO.

excuse me, but i m buying the car, i never have a 1.10 off first,,,
what is the tape function? where i have to use this?? thank you
turboboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:37 AM   #6570
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboboost View Post
excuse me, but i m buying the car, i never have a 1.10 off first,,,
what is the tape function? where i have to use this?? thank you
To attach your receiver, speedo and potentially transponder to the chassis.