R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree44Likes

Old 11-18-2014, 06:46 PM   #5896
Boz
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

The diff has been spun around in the '15 and will sit in the same position in what ever configuration you decide to use. The new diff position is accommodating for the use of a shorty pack.

edit ----- The centre diff does get spur around when you convert to a shorty. My mistake

You may be able to fit a '15 centre diff in the '14 car if you can find someone to machine you up a new (364020) COMPOSITE CLUTCH SHAFT HOLDER.

It may work, all depends on the length of the "15 slipper assembly.
Powered by Nosram motors and FX engines.
Many thanks to HEI and Perth RC for their support over the years.

Last edited by Boz; 11-19-2014 at 01:03 AM.
Boz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:51 PM   #5897
Tech Apprentice

Thanks guys for all the input . I will be ordering a handful of parts along with all that was suggested .

I am just curious to know what springs are you guys running in terms of brand ? You guys all using Xray or AE,LOSI etc etc .. I have a lot of Associated springs I'm hoping I can use

Any input would be great

Thanks again
yunowill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:50 PM   #5898
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boz View Post
The diff has been spun around in the '15 and will sit in the same position in what ever configuration you decide to use. The new diff position is accommodating for the use of a shorty pack.

You may be able to fit a '15 centre diff in the '14 car if you can find someone to machine you up a new (364020) COMPOSITE CLUTCH SHAFT HOLDER.

It may work, all depends on the length of the "15 slipper assembly.
Thanks Boz, yes, that was Savoya's 2014 XB4 - I thought that was obvious as well. Anyhow, the 2015 slipper assembly is much shorter than the 2014/2013 slipper assembly, hence the new longer centre front cvd and much shorter rear cvd (64mm) in the 2015 kit. I "think" that the 2015 centre/rear diff housing (364022) might fit in the 2014 with some chassis modification like Savoya's above. Again this is all guesswork at the moment and if you added in metal bevel and pinion gears you might have an expensive project only to find out for another $250 a new kit is in your hands.
EB48SL/RX8/TekinT8i/Hitec7599/SMC4500(4S)
Grasshopper/Tekin FX/Twister 27T/FutabaS9551/Speed power
HeavyD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 09:30 PM   #5899
Boz
Tech Fanatic

centre driveshaft on the '14
88mm + 88mm = 176mm
centre driveshafts on the '15
64mm + 116mm = 180mm

The specs off of the Xray website say the dimension of the two chassis are the same. So the '15 diff maybe 4mm shorter in length or the dogbones are now seated deeper into the drive cups.

Yes, time will tell.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:42 PM   #5900
Boz
Tech Fanatic

I just looked at it the new centre slipper mounts again.

The bearings on the new slipper and diff are in a different position.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:52 PM   #5901
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 128 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yunowill View Post
Thanks guys for all the input . I will be ordering a handful of parts along with all that was suggested .

I am just curious to know what springs are you guys running in terms of brand ? You guys all using Xray or AE,LOSI etc etc .. I have a lot of Associated springs I'm hoping I can use

Any input would be great

Thanks again
Most near me utilize kyosho springs. I've tried losi and ae springs. The kyosho springs just seem smoother. With saying that you can likely get close depending on which ae rates you have.
Qwkrn U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 11:20 PM   #5902
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by yunowill View Post

Any input would be great

Thanks again
I used AE ones on mine, orange or purple on the front, grey on the rear, but that's on UK Astro/grass tracks so probably no help to you at all
X-Factory UK / Carisma Racing/ Corally/ Vampire Racing /TEKIN/ AVID/ JConcepts / Lunsford / Exotek Racing / Hiro Seiko / RDRP / GRP Tyres/ Tuning Haus/ DMSPARTZ / McKune/ RCS Graphic Workz / WTF / DMS Racing / Model Junction
John Myall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 08:42 AM   #5903
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boz View Post
Are you sure the '15 are different to the '14 ones?
Now, that is a good question indeed. The part numbers in the manual looks like the old numbers, but that's not really anything to go by. If we see here, it's listed as a new and updated part:

http://www.teamxray.com/xb4/

And visually, I think the ones in the '15 box looks just a wee bit more beefy compared to the '14 ones.
Nyegaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 10:16 AM   #5904
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

So my 2014 XB4 needs to have the diffs refreshed after a year of racing, looking at the cost to refresh all the parts including the out-drives I'm leaning toward just trying the ball diffs for roughly the same price. Anyone have experience with the ball diffs? Are they rebuildable. Can the parts be bought separately?

**** "Luxury" ****
EricW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 11:01 AM   #5905
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Xray Racing Cars
All-new XB4’15 shipping now

Good news for everyone. The All-new XB4’15 has been already shipping to all distributors. It will take some short time until the kits will get available in your local hobby shop. Make sure to pre-order yours, the first supply will be limited.

https://www.facebook.com/TeamXray/ph...type=1&fref=nf
MaricopaAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 11:05 AM   #5906
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

EricW-

I read through a lot of the XB4 2wd thread and guys that were using them there seemed to have problems getting them set right, if I remember correctly.
jmcelroy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 01:52 PM   #5907
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricW View Post
So my 2014 XB4 needs to have the diffs refreshed after a year of racing, looking at the cost to refresh all the parts including the out-drives I'm leaning toward just trying the ball diffs for roughly the same price. Anyone have experience with the ball diffs? Are they rebuildable. Can the parts be bought separately?
Yes they are rebuildable, all parts can be bought separately. I would recommend using carbide balls instead of the ceramic that is included, since the tuning window of the ceramic is really small.

We have been running the ball diff a lot in the 2wd, and it works great, but it does take a beating, so I would think twice before using it in the 4wd with the extra power you are putting down with that car. I would recommend upgrading to the 2015 diff setup instead with the steel gears. The out drives look slightly beefier as well. We tried the '15 car for the first time tonight and it worked a charm straight out of the box.
GregerL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 02:54 PM   #5908
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregerL View Post
Yes they are rebuildable, all parts can be bought separately. I would recommend using carbide balls instead of the ceramic that is included, since the tuning window of the ceramic is really small.

We have been running the ball diff a lot in the 2wd, and it works great, but it does take a beating, so I would think twice before using it in the 4wd with the extra power you are putting down with that car. I would recommend upgrading to the 2015 diff setup instead with the steel gears. The out drives look slightly beefier as well. We tried the '15 car for the first time tonight and it worked a charm straight out of the box.
Did you run shorty or saddle? Got mine sat ready to build shorty I think. Keeping the '14 for saddle duties if needed. Can't wait to get this thing built and raced.
sime46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 03:11 PM   #5909
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by sime46 View Post
Did you run shorty or saddle? Got mine sat ready to build shorty I think. Keeping the '14 for saddle duties if needed. Can't wait to get this thing built and raced.
We ran shorty, on an indoor carpet track. The biggest difference with this setup was that it was much easier putting the power down going out of turns and I had to tune in some steering into the setup.
GregerL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 09:13 AM   #5910
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Am I correct that it hasn't been established the metal gear diff from the '15 will work in the '14 or has that been confirmed that it will?