Search
Like Tree246Likes

Xray XB4 thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 06:31 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BentKa
If you are thinking of the pins on the diff/slipper side of the shafts then the part number is: #106051

The Hudy Drive Pin Replacement Tool is part #106000

Bent
Thanks Bent! Just what I was looking for.
Old 10-05-2014, 04:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 166 (100%+)

If you are thinking of the pins on the diff/slipper side of the shafts then the part number is: #106051

The Hudy Drive Pin Replacement Tool is part #106000

Bent
Should have never sold my Hudy tool. Well, you live and learn....
Old 10-06-2014, 03:59 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jpcopeland1
I have the Mugen tool, works great.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:27 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jpcopeland1
I just replaced all my pins with the Hudy tool. First time using it.. I have to say, it's the best money I have spent so far on a RC tool.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:31 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by joeymdz
^^ that is what I was hinting about^^

about 4-5 new items on the '15 car but its not going to have the shorty pack... BUT it really needs that option
The shorty is the cats meow.. I am waiting to convert my other car to shorty, till I can get my hands on the center gear diff.

The outside metal gear diffs I plan in using are from the sb401.. Looks like a xray knockoff in almost every way. So I am assuming the parts will work.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:31 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

I have to say. It is kinda cool that you can replace the pins without replacing the entire bone.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:32 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by MaricopaAgent
The shorty is the cats meow.. I am waiting to convert my other car to shorty, till I can get my hands on the center gear diff.

The outside metal gear diffs I plan in using are from the sb401.. Looks like a xray knockoff in almost every way. So I am assuming the parts will work.
So you are going to put Ford parts on your Corvette huh?
Old 10-06-2014, 09:18 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
So you are going to put Ford parts on your Corvette huh?
The Hobby Pro has ripped off a great car and added better options. It's an undeniable fact. So I will just use their gear diff's. (metal gears sound badass too)

It will be real interesting to watch Nathan run one.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Errokk
I have the Mugen tool, works great.
RCrenew has a nice, very simple tool as well. $50. Google'm.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:22 AM
Tech Prophet

The Hobby Pro has ripped off a great car and added better options. It's an undeniable fact. So I will just use their gear diff's. (metal gears sound badass too)

You dont need metal gear diff. Just set the slipper correctly. I read that on the internet. And yeah, metal gear diff do sound bad ass. lol
Old 10-06-2014, 09:00 PM
Tech Addict

Anyone run the carbon XB4 center chassis plate or know what a stock one weighs?

They claim 46 gram weight on the carbon one.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:19 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
You dont need metal gear diff. Just set the slipper correctly. I read that on the internet. And yeah, metal gear diff do sound bad ass. lol
The metal gears inside the diff and the bevel / pinon gears will all add inertia to the drive train.

The metal gears are not needed in terms of durability but they are a good tuning option for different tracks and surfaces.

You will loose some of the snap the XB4 has coming out of corners and jumping but you will gain some traction with the added inertia of the metal gears.

So it's all a trade off really.

We have been beating on the composite center diff now for a couple of months running everything from 500.000 - 2.000.000 cst in the center diff and 2.000 - 10.000 cst in the front and rear diffs.

We have done indoor clay with Bar Codes, outdoor dirt with Holeshot / BowTie and astro turf with Mini Spike / Pin tires.

We're still on the same standard plastic / composite gears in all 3 diffs and they're still going strong

Here's a recent video from a practice session with the Xray XB4 4WD with the Xray center diff and Schumacher Mini Spike tires on high grip astro

If you watch this on an iPad/iPhone click the blue top banner to play the video
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Bent
Old 10-07-2014, 07:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Aaahhh…..the ignorance

All parts including their tools are machined in-house at the Factory in Slovakia, Europe.

We've been to the factory and watched the machines and production first hand.
My daughter has even been posing in front of and on the very machines they use for her promotion pictures

One thing they have had to do outside the factory is the heat treatment of various parts.
But they have now just recently invested in their own heat treatment equipment as well.
They tirelessly continue towards 100% in-house manufacturing

Bent
OK so let's use their own logic and my experience with manufacturing.

Many people do not realize why Hyundai can offer more car for less money so people automatically assume it's because they're cheap junk. While that may have been true once upon a time, when the company first ventured into manufacturing production cars, they have since improved pretty much everything in every respect and their vehicles are just as good as any other long lasting brands. The reason is that Hyundai manufactures EVERYTHING for their vehicles with the exception of the tires. This means they don't have to outsource things that they'd then have to mark up in order to maintain a profit margin.

So, by this logic, if X-ray is indeed manufacturing everything in-house, they should be able to sell for less because there's no outsourcing to pay for.

If they do make everything in-house, great! But to just label oneself as a luxury brand and hike up prices just to follow the moniker is pompous. I have vast experience in manufacturing and I know and have used the many of the same processes utilized in RC and I know what it costs to have things made. Tolerances depend on the type of equipment one uses but generally speaking, in today's age of technology, the vast majority of machining equipment is extremely accurate and no one's products are vastly more accurate than anyone else's. Been there, paid for it, won't ever do so again. Companies manufacture products in bulk so as to lower unit price but in RC that rarely transfers onto the end consumer.

And it's not just X-ray, so don't make it seem like I'm piling on just them. TLR is another one who is out of their minds with their pricing, none more so than their 224. They literally took a well aged existing design and modified it a touch to make it feel fresh and new, when in fact it's not so much.

This practice of price gouging is also rampant in all things Carbon Fiber (formally known as Graphite). Just the mere mention of CF means you'll be parting with a larger sum of dough in peoples' mind. Interestingly enough CF was developed as a more cost effective alternative to expensive and highly volatile metals used by the military. It was initially less expensive until the phrase "Space Age Material" became married to it and the price has continually risen every year.

Like I said, I love the the XB4 and all of X-ray's vehicles and products, but there is no denying they are overpriced. And you may call the SB401 an XB4 knockoff, but where did the XB4 originate?
Old 10-07-2014, 09:19 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by the incubus
OK so let's use their own logic and my experience with manufacturing.

Many people do not realize why Hyundai can offer more car for less money so people automatically assume it's because they're cheap junk. While that may have been true once upon a time, when the company first ventured into manufacturing production cars, they have since improved pretty much everything in every respect and their vehicles are just as good as any other long lasting brands. The reason is that Hyundai manufactures EVERYTHING for their vehicles with the exception of the tires. This means they don't have to outsource things that they'd then have to mark up in order to maintain a profit margin.

So, by this logic, if X-ray is indeed manufacturing everything in-house, they should be able to sell for less because there's no outsourcing to pay for.

If they do make everything in-house, great! But to just label oneself as a luxury brand and hike up prices just to follow the moniker is pompous. I have vast experience in manufacturing and I know and have used the many of the same processes utilized in RC and I know what it costs to have things made. Tolerances depend on the type of equipment one uses but generally speaking, in today's age of technology, the vast majority of machining equipment is extremely accurate and no one's products are vastly more accurate than anyone else's. Been there, paid for it, won't ever do so again. Companies manufacture products in bulk so as to lower unit price but in RC that rarely transfers onto the end consumer.

And it's not just X-ray, so don't make it seem like I'm piling on just them. TLR is another one who is out of their minds with their pricing, none more so than their 224. They literally took a well aged existing design and modified it a touch to make it feel fresh and new, when in fact it's not so much.

This practice of price gouging is also rampant in all things Carbon Fiber (formally known as Graphite). Just the mere mention of CF means you'll be parting with a larger sum of dough in peoples' mind. Interestingly enough CF was developed as a more cost effective alternative to expensive and highly volatile metals used by the military. It was initially less expensive until the phrase "Space Age Material" became married to it and the price has continually risen every year.

Like I said, I love the the XB4 and all of X-ray's vehicles and products, but there is no denying they are overpriced. And you may call the SB401 an XB4 knockoff, but where did the XB4 originate?
From your post it doesn't sound like you have much experience in manufacturing to be honest.

You already lost me when you compared manufacturing cost in Slovakia, Europe with China, Taiwan and Hong Kong :roll eyes:

There is a reason for why almost every American manufacturer is outsourcing to the far east.
COST !
I remember all to well when my my beloved Cannondale bicycles suddenly were "Assembled in America"

And of course the cost is higher when you actually pay for the R&D behind the parts and not just produce a knock-off part.
Ever heard of 3D scanners ?

Seen the Team C touring car or their new tool line !??!?!?!?!?!?

And if you actually are serious about there not being any significant difference to the accuracy of low budget and high end production equipment you are even more in-experienced then you make out to be.

20 years ago I worked in the quality control department of a manufacturer of parts for Volvo, Saab and Scania.
I spent all my working days measuring, weighing, analyzing, scanning color variations etc.
And whenever we got a new machine (mostly German made) the tolerances drastically improved and the number of parts that where out of tolerances where fewer and far between.
But at the same time as our manufacturing cost went down we also had to calculate the cost of the new machinery which obviously had to be paid through the parts manufactured.
And guess where our old machines were shipped when we replaced them ?

For Xray they make almost everything in-house as one of the very few left in the business.

They have only done small things as heat treatment outside of the factory (but still in Slovakia), but they have recently added on to the factory and bought the machinery to do so in-house as well.

As a curiosity mr. Hudy himself have been racing,engineering and building race vehicles for decades.
As an example he already had pillow ball suspension on his race vehicles back in -86.

I suggest you either read up on the history and facts of a company before you try to slander them or just be polite enough to stay out of these threads

A good way of actually bringing some facts to the discussion would be to enter one of the races that are being held at the Hudy Racing Arena (one of the worlds best R/C facilities) and attend one of their factory guided tours

That way you can see it for yourself and actually appreciate the work and dedication behind the products

Bent
Old 10-07-2014, 10:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

Any confirmation yet on if it is a whole new platform or if the 14 will be able to be upgraded with new parts?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.