R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree52Likes

Old 09-07-2014, 06:20 PM   #5506
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcopeland1 View Post
Quick question. Running Tyler Viks Reedy Race setup which was great when it was cool, now that it is hotter then hell here, it is not as good. Seems like the rear end is way too soft causing the car to break traction and swapping ends. It could be as simple as too tight a slipper clutch, and too new tires. But it's darting around like its hot a mind if it's own lol.. Any suggestions? Setup is perfect when the weather is cooperating. Inside the track is reaching 90 plus degrees, and the track is very inconsistent. Track can go from low bite to hi bite back to low bite in a matter of half way through a 5 minute qualifier.
What tire compound you running?
Shock oil wt and pistons?

I know with our local indoor track, it changes as the day gets warmer and the moisture level changes.
Errokk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 06:41 PM   #5507
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errokk View Post
What tire compound you running?
Shock oil wt and pistons?

I know with our local indoor track, it changes as the day gets warmer and the moisture level changes.
Clay compounds. Thinking that I may need to go soft to super soft to hook up. Pistons are kit 3x1.3 Losi 40 front, Losi 27.5 rear as per the setup sheet. The level of moisture changes so drastically right now with the high heat and humidity tires that worked ok one round can be terrible the next.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:50 PM   #5508
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcopeland1 View Post
Clay compounds. Thinking that I may need to go soft to super soft to hook up. Pistons are kit 3x1.3 Losi 40 front, Losi 27.5 rear as per the setup sheet. The level of moisture changes so drastically right now with the high heat and humidity tires that worked ok one round can be terrible the next.
About the same situation where I'm at. I usually try to find the tire that works best for me in the main and stick with it as to changing up. Currently, I'm running vectors as of late with good results. Usually run soft and in winter super soft.
Errokk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:07 PM   #5509
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errokk View Post
About the same situation where I'm at. I usually try to find the tire that works best for me in the main and stick with it as to changing up. Currently, I'm running vectors as of late with good results. Usually run soft and in winter super soft.
So far the closest are typos all around. I think I need to change rear shock position back to box stock to loosen up the rear a bit. Going to play with flex a bit as well.

Last edited by jpcopeland1; 09-08-2014 at 06:57 AM.
jpcopeland1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 03:22 AM   #5510
Tech Initiate

Default shorty conversation xb4

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy0025 View Post
anyway you can do a step by Step video or at the very least guide so I could try and do this myself. also if there are any extra parts that I will need to order would be great to. thanks and sorry for giving you homework lol
Yea order the full length carbon upper deck from xray. So when you turn your motor clamp and diff get spun around you have carbon upper deck going to the front of the car.
PoorBoy534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 03:29 PM   #5511
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorBoy534 View Post
Yea order the full length carbon upper deck from xray. So when you turn your motor clamp and diff get spun around you have carbon upper deck going to the front of the car.
Okay so just the upper Carbon deck is what I need to order for the shorty setup? anything else while im ordering this. thanks
randy0025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 04:06 PM   #5512
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Silly questions. When did the 2013 and 2014 versions of the car get announced and then start shipping? When do we expect similar for the 2015 version?
"We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit." -Aristotle
My wallet supports: TeknoRC.com, NorCalHobbies.com, SMC, Sanwa, and several tire/servo companies.
justpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 07:56 PM   #5513
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Got to test out a HotBodies D413 this past weekend back to back with my XB4 14. I felt the Xray was more planted in the corners and whoops and almost felt/appeared like it had a longer wheelbase . The D413 was very smooth, but the steering felt a bit too twitchy for my preference. Unfortunately my rear ring and pinion gears took a crap on me making a very audible clicking noise as I took to the track. I actually think the initial damage occurred when I checked my slipper (held the back wheels and gave it throttle to check slippage/ front end lift) as it drove fine up until that point. Needless to say I have now backed the slipper off a bit more (I'm now at 6.6mm) and hope this was a fluke , but ordered another set of gears just in case . Anyhow after driving both of these buggys back to back I'm still very happy with the Xray, hopefully I can say the same at the end of the local indoor season too .
Innovative Hobbies Raceway, Flyin-High RC Track
suzukipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:15 PM   #5514
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Best to buy at least 3 pair to get you through the season . 😠
BDRMBULLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:16 PM   #5515
Tech Initiate

Default xb4 shorty conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy0025 View Post
Okay so just the upper Carbon deck is what I need to order for the shorty setup? anything else while im ordering this. thanks
yea just the full length upper deck, the rest is just work and well worth it.
PoorBoy534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 02:01 AM   #5516
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDRMBULLY View Post
Best to buy at least 3 pair to get you through the season . 😠

Or just learn to set up your car (slipper) correct and never have "the problem" again

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Malin did the last round of the Swedish Championship series this weekend on astro turf.

This was a new track to us and we had a couple of hours of free practice on Friday evening to get to know the track and test setups (control tire was Schumacher Mini Spike).

She ended up as top qualifier in the 4WD class with a new TQ record (6 seconds better) and lap time record (bettered the previous one by 1.6 seconds on a 24.4 sec. lap).

The astro was medium grip and we ran the center diff (no slipper / 1.000.000 cst diff grease) with stock plastic diffs (no extra shimming) and plastic bevel/pinion gears.
Extra droop, soft shock setup and thin diff oils.

She had crazy traction and the XB4 was very easy to push to blistering speeds.

Bent
Hiro Seiko | DubiDesign | Maugrafix | YeahRacing | rcMart | LapMonitor | IB Prostart
Follow Malin on Facebook for race reports and setup tips
BentKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 02:07 AM   #5517
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 302 (100%+)

I set my slipper once when I built it, and have only had to reset it when I chew a spur from the motor coming loose. I set it to be as tight as I could make it by hand (not using tools on that nut over the spring) and that's been spot on for me

Don't worry about what I'm doing.
Worry about why you're worried about what I'm doing.

"Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity."

nexxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 05:15 AM   #5518
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexxus View Post
I set my slipper once when I built it, and have only had to reset it when I chew a spur from the motor coming loose. I set it to be as tight as I could make it by hand (not using tools on that nut over the spring) and that's been spot on for me

You either set it once and loose enough for every surface you will encounter or you set it according to track conditions and grip level and get the most out of your buggy

The slipper is a tuning aid just like a center diff in an 1/8th scale (and now 1/10th scale as well).

During the weekend I've adjusted the slipper on her 2WD 5-6 times when conditions have changed to get the best setup possible.

This time there was no slipper adjustments on the 4WD as we ran the center diff but the same applies here

People should stop treating the slipper as just a necessary evil to protect the gears and start using it as the tuning aid it is

Bent
Hiro Seiko | DubiDesign | Maugrafix | YeahRacing | rcMart | LapMonitor | IB Prostart
Follow Malin on Facebook for race reports and setup tips
BentKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:33 AM   #5519
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentKa View Post
You either set it once and loose enough for every surface you will encounter or you set it according to track conditions and grip level and get the most out of your buggy

The slipper is a tuning aid just like a center diff in an 1/8th scale (and now 1/10th scale as well).

During the weekend I've adjusted the slipper on her 2WD 5-6 times when conditions have changed to get the best setup possible.

This time there was no slipper adjustments on the 4WD as we ran the center diff but the same applies here

People should stop treating the slipper as just a necessary evil to protect the gears and start using it as the tuning aid it is

Bent
Agreed. Had mine too tight over the weekend and te car was washing out all over the place. Have it now slipping 2-3 feet and it is prefect. No washout anywhere and still enough rip to clear the insane triple at LRH Raceway.
Old 09-09-2014, 12:01 PM   #5520
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Lefty loosey, righty tighty???
BDRMBULLY is offline   Reply With Quote