R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree54Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-31-2014, 07:37 PM   #5431
Tech Elite
 
nerdling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Canberra
Posts: 2,848
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

What does the shorty conversion give?
nerdling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:33 PM   #5432
Tech Addict
 
MaricopaAgent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Maricopa, Az
Posts: 536
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorBoy534 View Post
Another pic.
is the center brace just backwards?

How does it drive..

Need a picture of the bottom..
MaricopaAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 03:48 PM   #5433
Tech Regular
 
V6Jim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Dumfries, Scotland.
Posts: 338
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdling View Post
What does the shorty conversion give?
For me, driving mostly outdoors on big rough tracks,the weight reduction you get with the shorty mod would be useless. We spend most of our time adding weight to the XB4 to get it to handle the rough stuff well.

However, if you run on a med/ high grip smooth track then the benefits of reduced weight and adjustable weight distribution with the shorty could be beneficial.

Jimmy
__________________
Dumfries, Scotland.
Returned to racing after 20 years off. (Racing Karts and Motocross!)
Scottish 1/10th Off-Road Champion 1985/86/87.

Now driving PR Racing UK PRS1 V2, V3FM, V3MM & PR SB401LW
V6Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:31 AM   #5434
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 38
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaricopaAgent View Post
is the center brace just backwards?

How does it drive..

Need a picture of the bottom..
Yea it's flipped over. But running the whole length carbon fiber upper deck. Racing it this friday I'll let you know how it does .I race indoor clay med to high traction.
PoorBoy534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:37 AM   #5435
Tech Prophet
 
Wildcat1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 16,994
Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentKa View Post
Only for saddle packs so far.

Malin ran the center diff again this weekend on high grip astro at the Swedish National Championship.

Worked really good with 8000 cst front & rear with 1.000.000 cst in the center

Bent
This new center diff eliminates the slipper correct? From my reading, the slipper is being used to protect the ring/pinion gears. With the gear diff in the middle, I would think the ring/pinion gear issues would increase. I would hope a new steel ring/pinion would be in order with the center gear diff.
__________________
Support: Team Associated | Reedy Motors & ESC's | Sanwa Radios | Avid | Proline Tires
Wildcat1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:01 AM   #5436
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lansing Mi
Posts: 503
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
This new center diff eliminates the slipper correct? From my reading, the slipper is being used to protect the ring/pinion gears. With the gear diff in the middle, I would think the ring/pinion gear issues would increase. I would hope a new steel ring/pinion would be in order with the center gear diff.
yeah the have been saying since Nov of 2013 that they are COMING SOON with steel ring and pinion gears , I guess xray is on the same calendar as Hot Bodies lol.

I even wrote xray asking whats the deal and that its been "coming soon" for almost a year now. All i got back was so BS about xray only wanting to release products that are 100%. Very very unsatisfied with xray right now.
__________________
Kyosho Mp9E TKI3, Orion R8.1 with Orion 1900kv, Savox Tessman Edition
Losi 4.0E Orion r8.1 with Orion MR8 1750KV, Savox Tessman Edition
Xray Xb4 16spec Orion r10.1 with Orion 5.5t, Spectrum S6240
randy0025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:08 AM   #5437
Tech Prophet
 
Wildcat1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 16,994
Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy0025 View Post
yeah the have been saying since Nov of 2013 that they are COMING SOON with steel ring and pinion gears , I guess xray is on the same calendar as Hot Bodies lol.

I even wrote xray asking whats the deal and that its been "coming soon" for almost a year now. All i got back was so BS about xray only wanting to release products that are 100%. Very very unsatisfied with xray right now.
Well, I am thinking about getting a 4wd buggy, because locally that class has been fairly stable. I have owned a few in the past and they all have their pros and cons. Right now it is between the xb4 and the B44.3. I am really hoping the 2015 car can take shorties and has a center diff. If not, then I will probably go with AE.
__________________
Support: Team Associated | Reedy Motors & ESC's | Sanwa Radios | Avid | Proline Tires
Wildcat1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:28 AM   #5438
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Anaheim Ca.
Posts: 3,975
Trader Rating: 139 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
Well, I am thinking about getting a 4wd buggy, because locally that class has been fairly stable. I have owned a few in the past and they all have their pros and cons. Right now it is between the xb4 and the B44.3. I am really hoping the 2015 car can take shorties and has a center diff. If not, then I will probably go with AE.
Non biased observation. The B44.3 looked really good when Cav was wheeling it at OC/RC a couple of weeks ago (with what looked like rpm arms) with that said I went with XRAY because I have had one before, know how good it is out of the box, and never had an issue with mine. When I sold it 4 months ago after having it for 4 months of constant running, it was still like new. Maintain it right and it's a way better car then the D413 ( which I had recently as wel, and all of its quality control issues).
__________________
TLR 22T 3.0 (Retired), XRAY XB4 '18, 2X Yokomo YZ-2 DTM, YZ-4 SF (please hurry), Mugen MBX7R Eco, Hobbywing, Futaba, LRH Hobbies, Amain Hobbies, iCharger.
jpcopeland1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:32 AM   #5439
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Anaheim Ca.
Posts: 3,975
Trader Rating: 139 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
Well, I am thinking about getting a 4wd buggy, because locally that class has been fairly stable. I have owned a few in the past and they all have their pros and cons. Right now it is between the xb4 and the B44.3. I am really hoping the 2015 car can take shorties and has a center diff. If not, then I will probably go with AE.
Would rather have a slipper over a center diff any day.
__________________
TLR 22T 3.0 (Retired), XRAY XB4 '18, 2X Yokomo YZ-2 DTM, YZ-4 SF (please hurry), Mugen MBX7R Eco, Hobbywing, Futaba, LRH Hobbies, Amain Hobbies, iCharger.
jpcopeland1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:37 AM   #5440
Tech Prophet
 
Wildcat1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 16,994
Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)
Default

I really want to stick with shorties. I run indoor on high bite and dont really need saddles. My 2wd drive cars use shorties and I like the idea of using swap-able packs in my cars. If the 2015 has the shorty option, then I will probably go that route. I have seen the xb4 take some serious abuse locally and they seem to hold up really well. The only thing I saw that I didnt like were the blown ring/pinion and the xb4 kept to digging into the surface more that other brands and cause some lawn darting. Otherwise they look stellar. I dont drive balls out nor care for low turn motors, so my issues with the diffs may be less than others. I would probably run a 10.5 motor with a modified 13mm rotor.
__________________
Support: Team Associated | Reedy Motors & ESC's | Sanwa Radios | Avid | Proline Tires
Wildcat1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:38 AM   #5441
Tech Prophet
 
Wildcat1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 16,994
Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcopeland1 View Post
Would rather have a slipper over a center diff any day.
I run indoor only on high to medium bite. I have never run a center diff in a wheeler, so I dont know what if any advantages is has on high bite. I am sure on low bite it will be much better than a slipper.
__________________
Support: Team Associated | Reedy Motors & ESC's | Sanwa Radios | Avid | Proline Tires
Wildcat1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:41 AM   #5442
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Anaheim Ca.
Posts: 3,975
Trader Rating: 139 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
I really want to stick with shorties. I run indoor on high bite and dont really need saddles. My 2wd drive cars use shorties and I like the idea of using swap-able packs in my cars. If the 2015 has the shorty option, then I will probably go that route. I have seen the xb4 take some serious abuse locally and they seem to hold up really well. The only thing I saw that I didnt like were the blown ring/pinion and the xb4 kept to digging into the surface more that other brands and cause some lawn darting. Otherwise they look stellar. I dont drive balls out nor care for low turn motors, so my issues with the diffs may be less than others. I would probably run a 10.5 motor with a modified 13mm rotor.
I ran a 6.5 in mine. Set the slipper correctly and never had an issue. As for batteries I run those cheap Reedy Wolfpacks. Plenty if runtime, and since I run low turn motors punch is of no concern to me
__________________
TLR 22T 3.0 (Retired), XRAY XB4 '18, 2X Yokomo YZ-2 DTM, YZ-4 SF (please hurry), Mugen MBX7R Eco, Hobbywing, Futaba, LRH Hobbies, Amain Hobbies, iCharger.
jpcopeland1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:48 AM   #5443
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Mars, PA
Posts: 1,022
Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Default

I apologize if this has already been covered somewhere in this thread and I missed it. A local XRay sponsored driver shared this XB4 information with me this weekend so I thought I'd pass it along.

For those of you who may have experienced the drive shaft pins walking out of the axle/couplers, even protruding through the plastic retaining cups . . . XRay makes a threaded coupler that accepts a grub screw as well as pins with a flat spot for the grub screw to set. These were made for the XRay T3 & T4 cars, but will work in our XB4s. I just picket up a complete set of the XRay aluminum drive shaft cups so I'm hoping I shouldn't have an issue with the pins walking out any longer, but these are another option.

http://www.amain.com/XRAY-Driveshaft-Coupling/p12085

http://www.amain.com/XRAY-2x10mm-Dri...Spot-2/p158112
__________________
Associated (2x)B6D, B64D, T5M, SC5M
TLR 22-4 2.0, SCTE 3.0
Mugen Seiki MBX7R Eco, MBX7R Nitro, MBX7T Eco, MBX7TR Nitro
XRAY 17 XB4
Yokomo YZ-2 CA
Wease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:44 PM   #5444
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 908
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

@Wildcat - The 2015 XB4 should be out in the next few months, you may want to wait and see. My guess is that it'll have the center diff and metal bevel/pinions, but I have my doubts it'll be shortie compatible - of course this is pure speculation.

@Wease - Using one maybe two couplings ok, but to out fit the entire car would cost $75! Exotek CVD cups are maybe $15!
__________________
Daragh Slowey
EB410/SPGT2Pro/Orca5.5/1258TGBlk/Nosram shorty
B6D/SPGT2Pro/Fantom7.5/1258TG/Nosram shorty
EB48SL/RX8/TekinT8i/Hitec7599/SMC4500(4S)
Grasshopper/Tekin FX/Twister 27T/FutabaS9551/Speed power
HeavyD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:54 PM   #5445
Tech Elite
 
joeymdz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Oreogan
Posts: 2,993
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to joeymdz
Default

I sure hope they have a new shorty pack chassis. If not im busting out the dremel tool for the mod
__________________
RC Plus*McKune Designs*NW Hobbies*Premier RC Raceways*Daves Tracks
joeymdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
EP buggies thread sim600 Malaysian R/C Racers 3586 03-31-2016 12:53 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (1 members and 1 guests)
ThelanderJ
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 11:02 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net