Xray XB4 thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 10:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Matt :-)
Wow !

Thanks for the info Bent.
they are running on astro not dirt im betting something more like 100,000 will work on dirt
Old 08-18-2014, 12:52 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by evolution03
they are running on astro not dirt im betting something more like 100,000 will work on dirt
We ran the same 1.000.000 cst at the European Championship as well a month ago which had a non treated clay surface with very low grip and Bar Codes control tires (no additives allowed).

The gears are small and very very smooth with minimal resistance so you need a heavier diff "fluid"

Video of the very first test we did with the center diff at the low grip track at the European Championship (I'll upload it to YouTube as well):
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater

Bent
Old 08-18-2014, 01:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

From those pics, it doesn't look like there is a slipper attached to the center diff. If there isn't, are there different diff gears with the car? I read so much emphasis on having to have the slipper set a certain way otherwise the diff gears break, I'm just wondering what happens if/when the slipper is eliminated and there is only a center diff in its place. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:18 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ufoDziner
From those pics, it doesn't look like there is a slipper attached to the center diff. If there isn't, are there different diff gears with the car? I read so much emphasis on having to have the slipper set a certain way otherwise the diff gears break, I'm just wondering what happens if/when the slipper is eliminated and there is only a center diff in its place. Thanks in advance.
Center diff replaces the slipper all together.

The center diff "slips" depending on how thick of a fluid or grease you use.

Same applies here as with the slipper.
The thicker the fluid the less diff action you will get and the more strain you will put on the gears.

A normal planetary diff will always send the greatest amount of torque the way of least resistance.
So using an increasingly thicker diff fluid will put you closer and closer to a 50/50 distribution of torque between front and rear.

Bent
Old 08-18-2014, 01:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Wow, a million cst, does it actually pour out of it's bottle into the diff case or do you need some sort of 'Hudy spoon' to get it out?

Eitherway, I hope this centre diff makes it into production
Old 08-18-2014, 01:28 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ufoDziner
Same diff gears

They held up just fine once again through this weekends Swedish National Championship on very high grip astro run with Schumacher Mini Spike Yellow as control tires powered by an ORCA TX6.5 with added boost

As I've tried to communicate a seamingly endless amount of times on here; there are no problems with the original pinion/bevel gears or internal satellite/planet gears on a properly setup XB4.

We are still running all stock composite gears with no additional shimming and have done so from the very beginning

Bent

Last edited by BentKa; 08-18-2014 at 01:47 PM.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:33 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by HeavyD99
Wow, a million cst, does it actually pour out of it's bottle into the diff case or do you need some sort of 'Hudy spoon' to get it out?

Eitherway, I hope this centre diff makes it into production
What I do is I disassemble the diff and coat every gear/pin/washer with grease, then put in the first gear, add some grease, put in the smaller gears, add grease and then the last gear.

This way you ensure every surface is coated.

And yes you have to "spoon it out" of the bottle…….but that's of course made way easier if the spoon has a "HUDY approved" label on it

Bent
Old 08-18-2014, 02:00 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If you want to see how heavy weight diff lube is used watch this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmfInldgGsc
Old 08-18-2014, 02:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Are the center diff gears composite?

Is the center diff the same as the front and rear diffs?
Old 08-18-2014, 02:58 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Mullet1
Are the center diff gears composite? YES

Is the center diff the same as the front and rear diffs? No….but the gears and housing are
Answers in red

Bent

Last edited by BentKa; 01-02-2015 at 12:21 PM.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BentKa
Answers in red

Bent
Disappointed they are composite. Sure hope another cars metal gears will drop in.

Please don't say metal gears aren't needed.....I just WANT metal gears.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:05 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

After running this car for a few months, these are the things I hope the 2015 car will have:
1. Droop adjustment
2. Floating servo mount
3. Shorty pack option
4. Front and Rear shock towers similar to the Smokem towers
5. Redesigned rear arms so that the lower shock end has two mount points similar to how the front shock end mounts to the front arm
Old 08-18-2014, 04:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mullet1
Disappointed they are composite. Sure hope another cars metal gears will drop in.

Please don't say metal gears aren't needed.....I just WANT metal gears.
The composite gears are actually quite good but if you want metal you can get em right now XRA335030
Old 08-18-2014, 04:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BentKa
Same diff gears

They held up just fine once again through this weekends Swedish National Championship on very high grip astro run with Schumacher Mini Spike Yellow as control tires powered by an ORCA TX6.5 with added boost

As I've tried to communicate a seamingly endless amount of times on here; there are no problems with the original pinion/bevel gears or internal satellite/planet gears on a properly setup XB4.

We are still running all stock composite gears with no additional shimming and have done so from the very beginning

Bent
Thanks for the info. I've seen a number of people with failed gears, and others that are fine. I've also read about how the slipper is what is saving the gears (that's the way the posts read to me anyway), which is partly what prompted my question. The other part is that you have 1MM diff fluid, which seems like it would have very little slip. Thanks again.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 166 (100%+)

Wish I still had mine. Good no-nonse car that was super easy to setup and very fast. This HB takes forever to make a change to. If you break, might as well go home. No wonder why Ty has his dad come with him. In case he breaks so he can have 4 hands ripping the thing apart to fix it. When it works it's awesome, but Jesus over engineered to a fault.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.