R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree39Likes

Old 06-21-2014, 11:06 AM   #4981
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have the square packs for my b5's, I was just wondering if a conversion was easy enough so I could have the tuning option in my 2wd. I think I've been convinced though on getting saddles, even if they are a hassle to live with.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:49 AM   #4982
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

How are you guys planning to use the square packs in this car? Are you going to remove the rear driveshaft and make it front wheel drive? Lol.
rcgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 11:52 AM   #4983
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ec Skunkworks View Post
How many guys are running shorty packs in this car? I'm a little reluctant to buy saddle packs because they're a hassle and I've always wanted to try a shorty in my 2wd buggy(s). I'm torn between the xray and a b44 with b5 arms/ballstuds and a schelle chassis with the shorty conversion.
I ran the b44.2 with avid chassis and gear diffs before my xb4. Even if you run the b5 arms you'll still have to deal with the fragile diff gears unless you want to drop $200 on a gear diff conversion. And after all that $ you'll still have a car that's not as good as the xray.
rcgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 06:46 PM   #4984
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
I have the square packs for my b5's, I was just wondering if a conversion was easy enough so I could have the tuning option in my 2wd. I think I've been convinced though on getting saddles, even if they are a hassle to live with.
Just a heads up, but those B5 square packs don't fit the XB4.

But dude, what's the hassel of saddle packs? Do you mean balancing them? With lipo you put the pack in the buggy and leave it there, as long as you have the right balancing harness, its easy & no swapping them out like in the nicad days. I don't understand your reasoning for hating saddle packs. If its such a big hassel as you say, buy a HB D413. It'll take shorties and looks pretty sweet as an Xray alternative.

...Something tells me the XB4'15 will be a shortie conversion.
EB48SL/RX8/TekinT8i/Hitec7599/SMC4500(4S)
Grasshopper/Tekin FX/Twister 27T/FutabaS9551/Speed power
HeavyD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:31 PM   #4985
Tech Rookie

I know, only the durango 4wd can accept the square packs sadly. I definately think that the xb4 is a much better designed car than the b44, at least in the engineering perspective.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:35 PM   #4986
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyD99 View Post
Just a heads up, but those B5 square packs don't fit the XB4.

But dude, what's the hassel of saddle packs? Do you mean balancing them? With lipo you put the pack in the buggy and leave it there, as long as you have the right balancing harness, its easy & no swapping them out like in the nicad days. I don't understand your reasoning for hating saddle packs. If its such a big hassel as you say, buy a HB D413. It'll take shorties and looks pretty sweet as an Xray alternative.

...Something tells me the XB4'15 will be a shortie conversion.
I don't like saddles over singular packs mainly because my dad had them for his durango sc a few years back and hated every moment with them, just because of having the jumper wire adds more bullets I have to unplug and think about not loosing between race days.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:23 PM   #4987
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Dude seriously... I slide my jumper into a hole in my rear shock tower and it won't go anywhere until I pull it out. Not to mention, you can solder a balance port onto the jumper to make balancing easier.

Word to the wise however, you should charge your lipos outside of the car. I charge all 3 of my saddles the night before and run them in order of power output, Q1, Q2 and Main.
WWW.TRICOUNTYHOBBIES.COM :: WWW.CRPPLUS.COM

Last edited by the incubus; 06-22-2014 at 01:05 AM.
the incubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 04:55 AM   #4988
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

Hi all, I was hoping someone might know the inner hinge pin length for this buggy?

Cheers
LOSI123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 05:45 AM   #4989
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Word to the wise however, you should charge your lipos outside of the car. I charge all 3 of my saddles the night before and run them in order of power output, Q1, Q2 and Main.[/QUOTE]

you should never leave a lipo on 100 percent charge for more than 3 hours. if you want charge them to 70-80 percent the night before and top them off on race day.
auto2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 09:02 AM   #4990
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
I don't like saddles over singular packs mainly because my dad had them for his durango sc a few years back and hated every moment with them, just because of having the jumper wire adds more bullets I have to unplug and think about not loosing between race days.
Solder a 2mm female plug on one of the jumper posts,this way you can use the jumper for charging as well and not have to unplug it.

**** "Luxury" ****
EricW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 09:05 AM   #4991
Tech Addict

Quote:
I know, only the durango 4wd can accept the square packs sadly. I definately think that the xb4 is a much better designed car than the b44, at least in the engineering perspective.
it seems you are confusing square packs and shorty packs. Not the same thing.

Saddles are the same size as a square sxs.

I have a schelle chassis b44.2 , they dont have the shorty conversion out yet, and it still will never be an Xray.
MaricopaAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:23 AM   #4992
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaricopaAgent View Post
it seems you are confusing square packs and shorty packs. Not the same thing.

Saddles are the same size as a square sxs.

I have a schelle chassis b44.2 , they dont have the shorty conversion out yet, and it still will never be an Xray.
I know the difference, the squares are a replacement for saddlepacks that go side by side in some cars, the shorty is like a stick pack but 1.5in shorter. I only have the square pack for my b5 and was just wondering if I could kill two birds with one stone and have a tuning option with the lightweight shorty pack in my b5 and also have it in a 4wd buggy I plan on building for the winter. But, sadly it looks like I'm going to have to buy saddles for the xray because it is the best car I've looked at.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:43 AM   #4993
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to joeymdz

Quote:
I know the difference, the squares are a replacement for saddlepacks that go side by side in some cars, the shorty is like a stick pack but 1.5in shorter. I only have the square pack for my b5 and was just wondering if I could kill two birds with one stone and have a tuning option with the lightweight shorty pack in my b5 and also have it in a 4wd buggy I plan on building for the winter. But, sadly it looks like I'm going to have to buy saddles for the xray because it is the best car I've looked at.
by then Xray should have an upgrade shorty pack edition chassis (hopefully)
Old 06-23-2014, 10:14 PM   #4994
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Anyone running the option -.75 hexes in the rear? I installed mine tonight and the female wheel hex appears to be too deep causing the wheel to rub on the (aluminum Exotek) hubs. I've tried a few different sets of wheels now and the issue exists with them all. Anyone else have this issue and find a good solution?

I might try sanding/dremel off a bit of the inner hex potion of the wheel to get enough clearance to see if there is even a noticeable difference from the stock position (looking for rear traction) and go from there.

Thanks in advance for any insight,
Innovative Hobbies Raceway, Flyin-High RC Track
suzukipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:19 PM   #4995
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

So I took a dremel with a sanding disk and removed some (probably too much) of the hex material on one wheel and the same issue presents itself when the wheel is tightened. Next, I added a shim on the axel behind the hex cross pin and hex, but still have the binding issue The only thing that makes sense now is that the cross pin depth on the -.75 hex is too deep causing the hex to rub on the bearing or hub? So then I put the stock hexs on and all binding disappears. The point in running the -.75 hexes was to bring the wheels in closer together so adding more shims becomes irrelevant at some point...
Innovative Hobbies Raceway, Flyin-High RC Track
suzukipro is offline   Reply With Quote