R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree39Likes

Old 05-02-2014, 07:46 PM   #4711
Tech Adept

Hi all would like to ask a question and have honest answers so I'm getting my first xb4 any building tips and things to look out for also what are the most common parts to break on the Buggy just so I can stock up all feed back much appreciated thanks everyone
Old 05-02-2014, 07:47 PM   #4712
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I have 5-6 sets of the Xray wheels so I'll be sticking with them until things wearout, however I was hoping someone would shed some light on the 14mm Hex widths and what the effects are going with the wider/stock/narrower hexes from front to rear.

I ended up having a stripped 2mm bolt in one of the standard hexes and now my options are to run the -.75 hubs in the front or back or wait for replacements via another online purchase. I know with my 1:8 scale ( EB-48) I went with the +2mm hubs up front and stock in the rear for better traction, I wonder if the narrow in back and stock up front would yeild similar results???

Thanks for any input,
Innovative Hobbies Raceway, Flyin-High RC Track
suzukipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:21 PM   #4713
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcopeland1 View Post
I thought about trying them too. But after running the right setup, and the right tires I don't see a need for the ball diffs anymore. Maybe on super loose and completely blown out tracks, but I don't really ever run on those.
+1 I thought the ball diff was for sure the answer to my issue but after getting my set up straightened out I dont see the need for it.
elex300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:08 AM   #4714
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzukipro View Post
I have 5-6 sets of the Xray wheels so I'll be sticking with them until things wearout, however I was hoping someone would shed some light on the 14mm Hex widths and what the effects are going with the wider/stock/narrower hexes from front to rear.

I ended up having a stripped 2mm bolt in one of the standard hexes and now my options are to run the -.75 hubs in the front or back or wait for replacements via another online purchase. I know with my 1:8 scale ( EB-48) I went with the +2mm hubs up front and stock in the rear for better traction, I wonder if the narrow in back and stock up front would yeild similar results???

Thanks for any input,
I'll start by saying I don't know. Ok, I know enough to say they of course make the buggy wider or narrower, but ultimately what does this do - ya, I dunno. I bought some -.75mm hexes when I was trying to copy Martin Bayer's set ups but switched to another set up and never removed them from their package - I doubt I will ever use them since now I am running Tyler Vik's OCRC set up. Plus, the new V2 front wheels are +1mm wider now as well. I guess if you had V1 front wheels, you could use the -.75mm on the rear to make it the same as running the newer V2 fronts.

Of course, matching this up with the eccentric bushings outside or inside mounting positions, man, sometimes there are too many adjustments and my head hurts thinking about it all and I spend more time over thinking a set up rather than driving.

It's been a long winter and a terrible spring for us up here, I've been looking at my buggies sit since October and now I just wanna race!
EB48SL/RX8/TekinT8i/Hitec7599/SMC4500(4S)
Grasshopper/Tekin FX/Twister 27T/FutabaS9551/Speed power
HeavyD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 06:05 AM   #4715
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 137 (100%+)

Quote:

Thanks for any input,
Found this on one of the import tuner sites. While maybe not extreme since we are not talking about changing the offset as much as they are. The science seems sound enough to apply here as we'll:

"Now, as far as the track width of a car, Most of the same effects are present. Too narrow, and the car will be very easy to roll on a corner. Too wide, and the car will cause more drag, and be sluggish on the straightaways and can easily oversteer if not being cautious with the steering angle."
Old 05-03-2014, 06:17 AM   #4716
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 137 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono Buggy Dude View Post
Hi all would like to ask a question and have honest answers so I'm getting my first xb4 any building tips and things to look out for also what are the most common parts to break on the Buggy just so I can stock up all feed back much appreciated thanks everyone
Build it per the manual, minus initial slipper setting. Nothing really needs to be done to it. I would suggest to set the slipper looser then the manual. Leave it on the loose side 5-6 get of slip (the pads are super tough and can take it) then adjust. Too tight and your running the risk of stripping gears. The manual has it set wrong. Mine was wrong in the beginning, ended up have to loosen it by 1mm from the box setup. Make sure you don't skip the part about lubing up the drive shafts, it is a very important step.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:25 AM   #4717
Tech Addict

Quote:
Found this on one of the import tuner sites. While maybe not extreme since we are not talking about changing the offset as much as they are. The science seems sound enough to apply here as we'll:

"Now, as far as the track width of a car, Most of the same effects are present. Too narrow, and the car will be very easy to roll on a corner. Too wide, and the car will cause more drag, and be sluggish on the straightaways and can easily oversteer if not being cautious with the steering angle."
Well I placed the -.75 offsets on the rear and they cause the Xray wheels to rub on the outer hub so I moved them back up front and they still rub. I will need to add some shims outside the hex which limits their effectiveness as -hubs. I just placed an order for the standard and +.75 hexes and will see how that works.
On a side note ,I installed the Durango dust covers on all 6 CV joints and they really seem to hold the grease in/dirt out, I'll report back on their effectiveness after a few more runs though.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:29 AM   #4718
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I've been running the boots since day 1 and they are still in good shape and the CVD joints are dirt free and well lubricated. Exotek caps and the dust boots are the ticket!
EB48SL/RX8/TekinT8i/Hitec7599/SMC4500(4S)
Grasshopper/Tekin FX/Twister 27T/FutabaS9551/Speed power
HeavyD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 08:21 PM   #4719
Tech Addict

I'm a bit confused why many seem to remove the rear plastic spacer/chassis tray under the rear diff and then go with the +2mm (higher) toe plates? I had to file the radius on the stock RR toe plate to get the screw holes to line up with the diff holes, I also filed off the outside drop downs on each side to prevent them from digging in when it bottoms out on landings. Anyhow I ran the .5 inserts on the lower outside and the rear end was much more planted than it was a week ago. I ran the Vic set up the best I could, but had a few issues prevent me from pulling it off entirely.

Now I have to work on gearing as it seems under geared, the motor was getting hot 180F &SC was in the 120F range. I'll need to work on suspension a bit too as I didn't realize how rough my indoor track is until driving a 1:10 buggy on it (broke first A Arm today), overall it was a nice improvement for it's 2nd time out. I also added the brass 20 gram triangles to the back and it did help settle the car down in the rough stuff.

Happy I bought a XB4
Old 05-03-2014, 10:52 PM   #4720
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to joeymdz

Quote:
I'm a bit confused why many seem to remove the rear plastic spacer/chassis tray under the rear diff and then go with the +2mm (higher) toe plates? I had to file the radius on the stock RR toe plate to get the screw holes to line up with the diff holes, I also filed off the outside drop downs on each side to prevent them from digging in when it bottoms out on landings. Anyhow I ran the .5 inserts on the lower outside and the rear end was much more planted than it was a week ago. I ran the Vic set up the best I could, but had a few issues prevent me from pulling it off entirely.

Now I have to work on gearing as it seems under geared, the motor was getting hot 180F &SC was in the 120F range. I'll need to work on suspension a bit too as I didn't realize how rough my indoor track is until driving a 1:10 buggy on it (broke first A Arm today), overall it was a nice improvement for it's 2nd time out. I also added the brass 20 gram triangles to the back and it did help settle the car down in the rough stuff.

Happy I bought a XB4
Going down on diff fluid will help out with traction. Try 5/3
Old 05-04-2014, 01:33 AM   #4721
Tech Regular

Quote:

I think the increase in drag theory is more or less nonsense. But it is true that the narrower the car is the more grip it will induce. Use track width to adjust balance.

Now driving PR Racing UK PRS1 V2, V3FM, V3MM & PR SB401LW
V6Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 05:41 AM   #4722
Tech Adept

Quote:
Build it per the manual, minus initial slipper setting. Nothing really needs to be done to it. I would suggest to set the slipper looser then the manual. Leave it on the loose side 5-6 get of slip (the pads are super tough and can take it) then adjust. Too tight and your running the risk of stripping gears. The manual has it set wrong. Mine was wrong in the beginning, ended up have to loosen it by 1mm from the box setup. Make sure you don't skip the part about lubing up the drive shafts, it is a very important step.
Awesome thanks for the feed back durability wise of things any parts to stock up on or does it take quite a beating?
Old 05-04-2014, 07:11 AM   #4723
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono Buggy Dude View Post
Awesome thanks for the feed back durability wise of things any parts to stock up on or does it take quite a beating?
From my limited experience I'd start with the following
-Front & Rear A-arms
-shock shafts
-Hinge pins
-2x10mm hex pins
-Turnbuckles
-rod ends
-Rear Wings / mounts

Nice to have:
-wheel and diff bearings are good to always have on hand as well
-Shock and differential O-rings
Old 05-04-2014, 11:39 AM   #4724
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 120 (99%+)

Is anyone experiencing broken pins that hold the driveshaft to the axel (the pin that goes through the barrel) I broke a pin and lost the barrel last week, so I ordered a new barrel and a package of pins. I replaced the pins on all 4 corners and broke ANOTHER one yesterday. I just got this car and I love it... But this problem is becoming frustrating very quickly. Any thoughts?
skoalisbad4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 12:19 PM   #4725
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoalisbad4me View Post
Is anyone experiencing broken pins that hold the driveshaft to the axel (the pin that goes through the barrel) I broke a pin and lost the barrel last week, so I ordered a new barrel and a package of pins. I replaced the pins on all 4 corners and broke ANOTHER one yesterday. I just got this car and I love it... But this problem is becoming frustrating very quickly. Any thoughts?
sounds like you may have you slipper very tight?
nicmo is offline   Reply With Quote