R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree39Likes

Old 04-03-2014, 10:10 AM   #4486
Tech Apprentice

Just got my XB4 finished and had my first practice with it. First time with a 1/10 4WD buggy as well so a lot to learn. The car was awesome with the MB set-up but I punished it pretty severely due to my inexperience jumping a wheeler. The only casualties were the JC Hi-clearance wing and the front rims, both were cracked on the inside bead. This was completely my fault but the cracks are all at the mold flow "swirls" so I'm wondering, until I get my jumping squared away (making progress there), if there is any way to toughen up the front wheels... boiling before mounting the tires or?
kineteks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:31 AM   #4487
Tech Rookie

help please.. just bought xray xb4 2014, tekin rs pro and lrp x20 5.5t brushless motor, what spur gear and pinions should i start at? thanks guys
elpin0i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:50 AM   #4488
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 137 (100%+)
Default Race Report 1 1/2 months in.

So far I have replaced nothing. Car shows no sign of wear anywhere, this car has been abused, slammed by SC trucks, rolled over numerous times, hit a pole dead on @ fuill speed hitting the right side front arm square (popped off the steering link), nothing, zip zilch is wrong with it, was bored so I cleaned out and refilled the diffs and shocks. I have never in my 20+ years in this hobby have seen such a masterpiece like this. Oh and its fast as hell, and easy to drive to boot. Oh wait, I replaced the stock wing with a High Tension Jconcepts.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:53 AM   #4489
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kineteks View Post
Just got my XB4 finished and had my first practice with it. First time with a 1/10 4WD buggy as well so a lot to learn. The car was awesome with the MB set-up but I punished it pretty severely due to my inexperience jumping a wheeler. The only casualties were the JC Hi-clearance wing and the front rims, both were cracked on the inside bead. This was completely my fault but the cracks are all at the mold flow "swirls" so I'm wondering, until I get my jumping squared away (making progress there), if there is any way to toughen up the front wheels... boiling before mounting the tires or?
Had the same problem when I first got the buggy, destroyed the first wing and have cracked front wheels. I don't have a better solution other than practice, practice, practice. Not trying to be a smart ass but just keep it on all four wheels to protect the wing and backside all the jumps so as to not hammer the front wheels.

I did get the Exotek hexes so I can start using my other wheels, perhaps they will stand up better than the Xrays.

**** "Luxury" ****
EricW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:56 AM   #4490
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcopeland1 View Post
So far I have replaced nothing. Car shows no sign of wear anywhere, this car has been abused, slammed by SC trucks, rolled over numerous times, hit a pole dead on @ fuill speed hitting the right side front arm square (popped off the steering link), nothing, zip zilch is wrong with it, was bored so I cleaned out and refilled the diffs and shocks. I have never in my 20+ years in this hobby have seen such a masterpiece like this. Oh and its fast as hell, and easy to drive to boot. Oh wait, I replaced the stock wing with a High Tension Jconcepts.
+1 aside from the wing and a cracked wheel but that's from my poor driving when I first got the car. This thing is a tank.

**** "Luxury" ****
EricW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:06 PM   #4491
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloksatoor View Post
RTR 300$ go for it. If just roller you are overpaying. Stormers got a new kit 2014 for 399$ so no brainer go new.

Stormers?
Old 04-03-2014, 12:28 PM   #4492
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricW View Post
Had the same problem when I first got the buggy, destroyed the first wing and have cracked front wheels. I don't have a better solution other than practice, practice, practice. Not trying to be a smart ass but just keep it on all four wheels to protect the wing and backside all the jumps so as to not hammer the front wheels.

I did get the Exotek hexes so I can start using my other wheels, perhaps they will stand up better than the Xrays.
I have the hexes as well, but have a few sets if tires mounted on Durango rims. I use the exotek hexes to run my serpent tires to help break them in lol.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:33 PM   #4493
Tech Elite

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricW View Post

Keeping it on all four wheels is not a problem. The crashes I was referring to was when I was pushing the car past my driving skills as they were since I had not driven 4wheel drive in 10 years. The fact that nothing has broke or worn out is the point of the post. I had a B44.2 and with all if the build tips I. The world, I went through 2 complete diffs in under 2 weeks of owning it, and. Full set of front arms. Did anyone else notice that Tower is selling the B44.2 for $90.00 off their normal price? Does AE know the jig is up I. It now that other cars have surpassed it in quality? It's the old add age cheap buy in, but in the long run ends up costing you a lot more. With that here is a picture of the spray bombed Purple AE eater.
Attached Thumbnails
Xray XB4 thread-img_0151.jpg  

Last edited by jpcopeland1; 04-07-2014 at 03:04 PM.
jpcopeland1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:03 PM   #4494
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavee View Post
Stormers?
http://www.stormerhobbies.com/

With respect to wear and tear, its minimal but pricey when due on this car. I had to replace front center shaft (25$), a rear axle (20$), replaced all pins with the hudy pin tool (10 bucks or so),bearings (25$ boca), outdrives will last another season. All in all pretty decent $$ to keep her fresh . Just keep an eye out for the front center and replace the pin once you see any flat spots, that killed my front center shaft.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:25 PM   #4495
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to joeymdz

And don't forget the $90.00 price tag for the hudy pin replacement tool!!! ( I just got one)
Old 04-04-2014, 03:38 PM   #4496
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymdz View Post
And don't forget the $90.00 price tag for the hudy pin replacement tool!!! ( I just got one)
haha yeah but its the best 90 bucks I spent esp if you run 1/8 scales
Old 04-04-2014, 04:37 PM   #4497
Tech Elite

Would rather be able to replace a pin over and over then replace a whole drive axle due to wear. Still is overall better to go X-ray then anything else.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:34 PM   #4498
Tech Apprentice

Default Xb4 coming!

I just bought an xb4, waiting on the mail :-) should be here in a few days. What do you guys think of the track performance of the xray xb4 vs. B44?
KyoshoSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:00 PM   #4499
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyoshoSC View Post
I just bought an xb4, waiting on the mail :-) should be here in a few days. What do you guys think of the track performance of the xray xb4 vs. B44?
Zero contest. Out of the box with zero extra parts the Xray is more planted, jumps better, corners better, and won't break if you look at it funny. Have had mine for a solid month and a half of running, all I have had to do is top off the diffs. My B44.2 went through diffs (stress cracks) in a race weekend. The XB4 is also better in access to the main parts of the car for servicing. Parts are more expensive, but you pay for the quality in stuff that stays newer longer, and will not slop out of break as easily as a B44.2. No contest.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:14 PM   #4500
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpin0i View Post
help please.. just bought xray xb4 2014, tekin rs pro and lrp x20 5.5t brushless motor, what spur gear and pinions should i start at? thanks guys
Use the stock spur. I run a 6.5t with a 19t pinion on a medium sized indoor track. Gives me good results.
Errokk is offline   Reply With Quote