Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 02:39 AM
Tech Rookie

(Y)
Old 03-14-2014, 04:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HeavyD99
With respect ot shock limiters, it also has a little to do with the eccentric bushing set up you're running. My set up is now the Tyler Vik OCRC/Reedy Race set up - meaning I'm running "middle up .5*". I'm using Avid pistons with 2mm limiting in front, 1mm in rear.

The manual says 1mm(f) & 1mm(r) and I think the V2 addendum mentions using limiters on the insde and outside of the shock to prevent the breakage you're talking about.
I have to say this may be true too
The car has a bunch of time on it probably a 1000 or better laps
Have to get the parts and fix it
These cars are expensive to fix WOW
Old 03-14-2014, 04:26 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by jpcopeland1
Shakedown was awesome. Even with an 8.5 in it was a rocket. Wing is mangled, and the car took some 4x4 short course abuse, but nothing broke (some of the incidents would have turned a B44 into dust). I'm super happy with the buggy. Hands down best 4 wheel drive I have ever owned.
I'm with you on the wing issue, mine is pretty well abused. Of course the standard response is "well keep the buggy wheels side down and the wing will be fine". Really love this buggy too.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:28 AM
Tech Addict

Definately expensive. I'm thinking of grabbing a used roller just for a parts vehicle. It would def Save some money in the long run.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

I hear ya there been watching fleebay !
Old 03-14-2014, 05:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Parts cars - hmm. No. When you get one for parts it's because it's used up. I spent maybe $100 on parts - I've yet to use them. Mostly the stuff to rebuild the front end - Steering knuckles, 9* caster blocks, 1 A-arm, tall and short caster block bushings, A-arm hine pins, caster hinge pins, wing mounts, extra eccentric bushings & a set of turnbuckles & ball cups...I think that is it. This is a far cry from an entire buggy which go for around what, $250? Ok, I'm missing shock towers - but if I break one, I'm buying Smoke'm towers for $20 each. I've replaced my front drive shafts with Spec R's - so I have an extra front set of those. Thsi thing is a tank, what else do you expect you'll need really?

BTW - Buy JC Wings - the stock wing is made of plastic only slightly thicker than sandwich bag plastic!

Side note - the new Proline wing being used at Cactus this weekend looks pretty slick too.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:30 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by kdeleon
Why not ebay? I see a couple and one is the same price as amain with free shipping. Both are from hobby stores, so you could instead buy directly from them.
If it was me no problemo, but he didn't want to go that route...ended up finding a few kits @ AbsoluteHobbyz.com in NJ...fast shipping too
Old 03-14-2014, 06:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 166 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EricW
I'm with you on the wing issue, mine is pretty well abused. Of course the standard response is "well keep the buggy wheels side down and the wing will be fine". Really love this buggy too.
But we all know sometimes during practice that is not always possible. Car as insane good. A ball diff on the rear would make it pretty much perfect.

Last edited by jpcopeland1; 03-14-2014 at 06:47 AM.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

wings ... I was ordering stuff from amain , and they had xxx4 wings for 2.99 a pop. So i got a few to try , and so far its ok. What i am doing from now on , is after i paint the wing , I put a skin coat of shoe goo on the entire underside of the wing . It has really been helping . Just make sure the paint dries a few days before you goo it . If you wet your finger when you spread the goo , it leaves a clear , very smooth finish.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:58 AM
Tech Elite

This is the first 4-wheel drive I have owned with gear diffs. With my B44.2 I checked the diffs after every day of practice or racing for stress cracks in the diffs. What are some good guidelines for when I should service the gear diffs?
Old 03-14-2014, 07:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wittyname
wings ... I was ordering stuff from amain , and they had xxx4 wings for 2.99 a pop. So i got a few to try , and so far its ok. What i am doing from now on , is after i paint the wing , I put a skin coat of shoe goo on the entire underside of the wing . It has really been helping . Just make sure the paint dries a few days before you goo it . If you wet your finger when you spread the goo , it leaves a clear , very smooth finish.
I do the same but put a layer if plastic/ fiberglass drywall tape on as well, i do have alloy wing mounts too.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:55 AM
Tech Addict

Parts cars - hmm. No. When you get one for parts it's because it's used up. I spent maybe $100 on parts - I've yet to use them. Mostly the stuff to rebuild the front end - Steering knuckles, 9* caster blocks, 1 A-arm, tall and short caster block bushings, A-arm hine pins, caster hinge pins, wing mounts, extra eccentric bushings & a set of turnbuckles & ball cups...I think that is it. This is a far cry from an entire buggy which go for around what, $250? Ok, I'm missing shock towers - but if I break one, I'm buying Smoke'm towers for $20 each. I've replaced my front drive shafts with Spec R's - so I have an extra front set of those. Thsi thing is a tank, what else do you expect you'll need really?

BTW - Buy JC Wings - the stock wing is made of plastic only slightly thicker than sandwich bag plastic!

Side note - the new Proline wing being used at Cactus this weekend looks pretty slick too.
Obviously wouldn't buy a used one that's all clapped out. All the parts you mentioned are the most inexpensive parts . Grab some drivetrain parts and were talking good coin . Just the outdrives are 70+ dollars . Aweful funny how everyone else's outdrives are cheap money.I understand it's different steel but it didn't last even close to what the lightened outdrives in my scte did.I myself don't like to buy used is rather but an extra kit when I get my original kit but sometimes you can find a really good deal.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:01 AM
Tech Elite

Which jconcepts wings? ordering spares right now.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Losi57
Obviously wouldn't buy a used one that's all clapped out. All the parts you mentioned are the most inexpensive parts . Grab some drivetrain parts and were talking good coin . Just the outdrives are 70+ dollars . Aweful funny how everyone else's outdrives are cheap money.I understand it's different steel but it didn't last even close to what the lightened outdrives in my scte did.I myself don't like to buy used is rather but an extra kit when I get my original kit but sometimes you can find a really good deal.

Did you break a out drive as well ?
Old 03-14-2014, 08:17 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rallyredevo
Too much risk of getting an older version. In my mind anyway. I know for sure if a big site like AMain shows a 2014, that's what I'll get.
Originally Posted by Canadianrage
If it was me no problemo, but he didn't want to go that route...ended up finding a few kits @ AbsoluteHobbyz.com in NJ...fast shipping too
Well one of the two cars on ebay was from AbsoluteHobbyz, so I guess not much risk and it worked out in the end anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.