R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree52Likes

Old 11-07-2013, 03:26 PM   #3301
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk1210 View Post
haha. did you really say "as durable as TLR, AE, Durango?" yes, they are as durable as those. But those others aren't as durable as the ones from X-Ray. Not even close.
@mjk1210: you mean really the XRAY plastic diff pinions are more durable as the metal diff pinions from other vendors even if they are plastic? this is completely new for me and why do they have metal and carbon diff pinions as optional parts?

@all: you haven't had issues with your plastic diff pinions in your XB4?

Thanks for your feedback
racer_hh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:39 PM   #3302
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to joeymdz

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_hh View Post
@mjk1210: you mean really the XRAY plastic diff pinions are more durable as the metal diff pinions from other vendors even if they are plastic? this is completely new for me and why do they have metal and carbon diff pinions as optional parts?

Thanks for your feedback
are you referring to the satellite gears? I'm sure that someone has had an issue out there but I'm safe to say the majority of us have had no problems at all. Only issue that came up was the weaker material they used in the earlier production models but that has been addressed with V2 parts. The car is solid
Old 11-07-2013, 03:58 PM   #3303
Tech Adept

Quote:

Thanks for your feedback
The quality of Xray's plastics is second to none and out of all manufacturers' cars that I have driven Xrays simply are the most durable ones.

The metal gears do fit in the XB4 but they actually are Xray NT1 spare parts.

And the standard internal diff gears hold up very well in my TC occassionally powered by a 4,5T/5T motor.So, as long as your slipper is set correctly you shouldn't be having any trouble with the plastic gears.

Regards,
David
niemand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:26 PM   #3304
Tech Apprentice

thanks a billion for your feedback. I will order one soon.
I only need to decide if I want a 2WD or 4WD. :-)
Old 11-08-2013, 09:43 AM   #3305
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:

Thanks for your feedback
Tlr and ae have plastic gears. Ae gears strip 10 to 1 compared to xray. Durango metal gears used to shred too. But shimming correctly could of course help that. I wasnt really comparing metal to plastic. Metal should last longer under greater stress.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:53 AM   #3306
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Composite gears are kinda crazy to me too... But the guys say they work. I'm going to be running a 4 pole in mine, mostly on turf, so if they can survive that, I'd say they are pretty damn strong. Time will tell. Couple weeks out still...

The steel gears in my DEX410 handled the 4 pole with out issue, and that was a 550 can... 540 going in XB4.
BillyT. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 03:51 PM   #3307
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I ve been running mine with 8.5 for 6 weeks now and no problems.
And not easy on throttle.
all powered by smc battery's and Motiv motors
hobbywing esc, airtronics controlled MT4s
advpball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 12:45 AM   #3308
Tech Regular

Sorry to say but the composite gears ARE a problem. Maybe not to the ones that run stock motors/low bite/etc--but for us--6.5t motor med to high bite equals chewed up gears.
I know I know loosening the slipper will fix the problem.
We just got very frustrated and ended up benching the car. Xray is on their third "update" to the gears in 1 year. Plus I was tired of the gears always being "out of stock"--geez--wonder why!!
So disappointed because this car has so much potential.
My hopes are that xray or some aftermarket will come out with some metal gear option. Mind you--this is for the ring/pinion gears--NOT the satellite gears inside the diffs.
Bcholka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 02:51 AM   #3309
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcholka View Post
Sorry to say but the composite gears ARE a problem. Maybe not to the ones that run stock motors/low bite/etc--but for us--6.5t motor med to high bite equals chewed up gears.
I know I know loosening the slipper will fix the problem.
We just got very frustrated and ended up benching the car. Xray is on their third "update" to the gears in 1 year. Plus I was tired of the gears always being "out of stock"--geez--wonder why!!
So disappointed because this car has so much potential.
My hopes are that xray or some aftermarket will come out with some metal gear option. Mind you--this is for the ring/pinion gears--NOT the satellite gears inside the diffs.
This is the main reason I will be switching to the new Yokomo car instead of the new xray. It has metal bevel and satellite gears
Jamison R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 04:52 AM   #3310
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamison R View Post
This is the main reason I will be switching to the new Yokomo car instead of the new xray. It has metal bevel and satellite gears
I have had the version 1 and 2. The only real problem I have had is the front and rear pinon and ring gear. I have never had a problem with the bevel gears in the diffs. You can pretty much guarantee you will have to replace the ring and pinon gear in the front diff every 50 battery's at 10 min a pack. The rear at about 75 battery's. I do run about 40-50 battery's a week and run each battery about 10 min.

I had to replace all the out-drives on the V2 car already. I have had it about 2 months. If you do the math it's about 400 battery packs at 10 min. each.

1airborne
Old 11-09-2013, 05:48 AM   #3311
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1airborne View Post
I have had the version 1 and 2. The only real problem I have had is the front and rear pinon and ring gear. I have never had a problem with the bevel gears in the diffs. You can pretty much guarantee you will have to replace the ring and pinon gear in the front diff every 50 battery's at 10 min a pack. The rear at about 75 battery's. I do run about 40-50 battery's a week and run each battery about 10 min.

I had to replace all the out-drives on the V2 car already. I have had it about 2 months. If you do the math it's about 400 battery packs at 10 min. each.

1airborne
But every 50 to 75 batteries sound a lot. Are other vendors better in this term or is this standard?
Old 11-09-2013, 06:52 AM   #3312
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:

1airborne
40-50 battery packs - a week!?

Wow, that's a lot of racing and a lot practice!

I race once a week - 5-6 packs in a night. I guess my gears will last 5 years at that rate
EB48SL/RX8/TekinT8i/Hitec7599/SMC4500(4S)
Grasshopper/Tekin FX/Twister 27T/FutabaS9551/Speed power
HeavyD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:57 AM   #3313
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 523 (100%+)

Quote:

1airborne
50 packs a week at 10 minutes a pack is over 8 hours of driving per week
wrightcs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:41 AM   #3314
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamison R View Post
Yokomo is coming out with a wheeler with gear diffs?? I may be looking into that BIG TIME.
Bcholka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 01:13 PM   #3315
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightcs77 View Post
50 packs a week at 10 minutes a pack is over 8 hours of driving per week
Yes it is. That is why I rent a room at the hobby shop I run at. It takes several packs and a couple of 20 amp chargers. On Monday Mikes hobby shop is open from 10am to 12pm. It is not unusual to run 17-20 packs in a day on my day off. I have ran over 500 laps on the track in a day according to My Laps recording systems.

I just like driving but I am too old to get much better as a driver.

1airborne.