R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree39Likes

Old 10-11-2013, 05:45 AM   #3106
Tech Adept

You know damn well there is a good reason for running steel NT1 gears on astro, the first batch of standard gears just weren't up to that task...
Although the XB4 is a great car(there is no doubt about that...)you cannot go around the fact that there have been a couple of problems/failures in the beginning...
But everybody talks about these issues just like it's a crime to bring a car that's not perfect from the beginning. As Xray stands for quality and continuous improvement these shortcomings have been addressed by the company in a quick and decent way! I have respect for that. FYI I have never owned an XRAY XB4 and I will never do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentKa View Post
We run NT1 steel gears with lightweight pins in the astro buggy and standard gears for the dirt/clay buggy......both hold up excellent

Bent
kempower2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 06:01 AM   #3107
Suspended

Can we all just move on? Enough with gears. There is plenty to read about that already. Lets keep the bs to a minimum. All the crap is already said and done. No need to repeat what's been said. Time to move on.
latentspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 06:02 AM   #3108
am
Tech Master

Thats just a marketing stunt for selling more pins and Tools.

Here is a quote of XB9 manual.

To enjoy the longest possible lifespan of the drive shafts and diff outdrives, it is extremely important to properly service the drive shaft pins.
Inspect the pins after every 3 hours of runtime. If the pins show any wear, replace them with new pins.

That would not be nessesary if you just used best possible materials first time out. As you stated, the manual point out that when the drivepin is flatspotted, the oudrive will wear. If i use a harder pin, the outdrive would not wear as there will be no flatspot on the drivepin, Your own argument the first time. Your next argument is; if you use a harder drivepin, you will wear out the outdrive. Well then, the outdrive could have had better material....

Manual says that you should change pins evry three hours of running. That is under a gallon of fuel for evry time you should chancge all drivesafts pins. Thats just horrible!!!

And there you have it, you do not have problems with internal diffgears as i know is reported alot of time. So, you would have or have had a problem with the standard gears in the XB4...

You make yourself look like that blind fanboy ;-)

I let you have the finale word as i feel i have proved my point :-)
am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 06:03 AM   #3109
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by am View Post

To enjoy the longest possible lifespan of the drive shafts and diff outdrives, it is extremely important to properly service the drive shaft pins.
Inspect the pins after every 3 hours of runtime. If the pins show any wear, replace them with new pins.

That would not be nessesary if you just used best possible materials first time out. As you stated, the manual point out that when the drivepin is flatspotted, the oudrive will wear. If i use a harder pin, the outdrive would not wear as there will be no flatspot on the drivepin, Your own argument the first time. Your next argument is; if you use a harder drivepin, you will wear out the outdrive. Well then, the outdrive could have had better material....

Manual says that you should change pins evry three hours of running. That is under a gallon of fuel for evry time you should chancge all drivesafts pins. Thats just horrible!!!

And there you have it, you do not have problems with internal diffgears as i know is reported alot of time. So, you would have or have had a problem with the standard gears in the XB4...

Give it a rest mugen fanboy. This isn't a mugen vs xb9 thread. Mugen doesn't know shit about 1/10 electric. Go troll somewhere else

Last edited by latentspeed; 10-11-2013 at 06:18 AM.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:12 AM   #3110
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by kempower2000 View Post
You know damn well there is a good reason for running steel NT1 gears on astro, the first batch of standard gears just weren't up to that task...
Although the XB4 is a great car(there is no doubt about that...)you cannot go around the fact that there have been a couple of problems/failures in the beginning...
But everybody talks about these issues just like it's a crime to bring a car that's not perfect from the beginning. As Xray stands for quality and continuous improvement these shortcomings have been addressed by the company in a quick and decent way! I have respect for that. FYI I have never owned an XRAY XB4 and I will never do.
The standard gears haven't changed, just the 35T bevel gear.

We still have the original satellite/planet gears in the diffs and only changed the 35T bevel gear when it got shipped out to existing owners.
Still have a ton of replacement gears from the V2 upgrade packages that will be put in when we sell off the 3 XB4's we have to get the revised/updated 2014 edition

The main reason for running the steel gears on bigger outdoor astro tracks is the added momentum to the diffs.......takes some of the "snap" out if it and calms it down a bit.
It's just something we have preferred.

Indoors we have almost solely run the original plastic gears and pins with no issues to date after 10 months of practicing and racing......even with the V1 parts.
We did brake a couple of front bulkheads and 1 front tower though in the first few weeks.
I quickly made a brace for the front tower/bulkhead and have never looked back

But yes I do make sure the cars get regular maintenance and swap out parts that are showing signs of wear

Bent
DubiDesign | Maugrafix | YeahRacing | rcMart | IB Prostart
Follow Malin on Facebook for race reports and setup tips
BentKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 06:17 AM   #3111
Tech Master

Quote:

I follow the manual and inspect the drive pins on a regular basis, change them when needed and have outdrives looking like new

You do as you wish.....it's your buggy

Bent
Old 10-11-2013, 08:07 AM   #3112
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to joeymdz

Hey... look at my new wiring job!!! (trying to jump subjects!! lol)
Attached Thumbnails
Xray XB4 thread-xb4wire1.jpg   Xray XB4 thread-2013-10-11_07.27.34.jpg  
Old 10-11-2013, 08:22 AM   #3113
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymdz View Post
Haha, very nice.

New XB4 owner here, can't wait to unleash this bad boy in 2 weeks! I also like to think of it as my miniature 8th scale buggy. Thanks in advance for all the help on this forum.

"Get the Led out"
Bortzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:47 AM   #3114
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymdz View Post
Nice clean setup there (and thanks )

Bent
Old 10-11-2013, 09:13 AM   #3115
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to joeymdz

Honestly it was a good thing talking about the slipper adjustment because mine got out of wacked and was way too tight for turf (thus a chipped bevel drive gear). I should of paid more attention but being on turf for the first time I was thinking of other things. I have no complaints on the car other than the stock pistons. Simple fix with some avids and it was a great upgrade.

I wish we had a 17.5 class because that would be the perfect excuse to buy another one.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:56 AM   #3116
am
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by latentspeed View Post
Give it a rest mugen fanboy. This isn't a mugen vs xb9 thread. Mugen doesn't know shit about 1/10 electric. Go troll somewhere else

Read all my posts, and you see i will still use Xray NeXT year!! I just find it a little strange that there is not possible to have something wrong with an Xray...

Mugen has flaws, no doubt about it!! Its not dangerous to admit, but it seems you guys won`t sleep at night, LOL :-)
Old 10-11-2013, 12:40 PM   #3117
Suspended

Quote:
Read all my posts, and you see i will still use Xray NeXT year!! I just find it a little strange that there is not possible to have something wrong with an Xray...

Mugen has flaws, no doubt about it!! Its not dangerous to admit, but it seems you guys won`t sleep at night, LOL :-)
Good morning. Why u still taking about gears? There is already many pages about it. No need to repeat. New day. Stop living in the past
Old 10-11-2013, 01:26 PM   #3118
Tech Regular

Maybe Xray could offer metal gears (ring and pinion) as an option??
Bcholka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 03:34 PM   #3119
am
Tech Master

Well, i started reading this thread, because i thought of getting a XB4 for practice this winter. Then it became some interesting Reading.

I tried to give good examples on how i see things. It is ok to be a fan and i am a Mugen fan, but it still is a fact that Mugen has flaws. Even though i have nto broken any suspensionarms that i did not dremel myself, i know that there is a lot of People brakinfg front lower arms. It is a fact. Even though i am a Mugen fan, i sold my two MBX7 and bought two XB9-13 as i felt that was a better car for me. I really love how the XB9 drives.

It was not my intention to start a bitchslap fight With BentKa, but when he will not even comment on his own arguments that falls into pieces, that anoies me. And when i feel i am beeing called a smuck beween lines, i get anoid.

My work is a problemsolver with a Premium car brand. If we bullshit our customar he will eventually find out because he also have internet and sooner or later he will find info on the interweb. Sometimes Our customar gives us how to fix a problem we are not aware of, that might be a big problem another place in the world. It teaches us to be humble and honsest if a customar has a problem we are not awere of. When we check his car, evrything is ok, at this point, it does not mean that it will not be somekind of problem. If we do our job right, we sell car number two to that customar becase of our honesty and good relations, not nesseserely the Product itself. If we deny there are any problems and evrything is ok, he will find out and next time he goes somewere else.

This probebly will put me as the assh...e in this "geargate", but i gave it some serius thought and decided to post. Forgive me for all the trouble i made in your thread.

This is why someone does not have any problems With his car, or so it seemed...

BentKa Post subject: Re: Up Grading to NT1 Diff Gears
Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 21:47:56

in case they missed it on rctech, the new diff bevel gear is thicker and the nt1 gears are thicker so some thought should be given to the tolerances.

Been using the NT1 gears and lightweight pins since "day 1" and have 4 weeks, 2 races and countless batteries in practice with the new 35T diff gear as well.

Runs as smooth as ever and not a single issue so far
Old 10-11-2013, 03:55 PM   #3120
Tech Champion

it's almost funny when so many clever people aren't clever enough to be able to give their opinion without trying to discredit each other

I will call it the "Xray enigma" and every time a fight starts this is what I will say rather than arguing

to each is own, now everybody knows the gears can be a problem in some situations and that there is a solution..which is actually good news! or is it? or maybe we should start a fight again?

sometimes I feel we are stuck in the dimension of incomprehension on Xray threads