R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree39Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-13-2013, 08:56 AM   #2581
Tech Master
 
locked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,758
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock man View Post
Hello Gents! I recently purchased an Xray b4. I should have it here by Friday. I am new to 4x4 buggies. I read good things and bad things about the xb4. I just couldn't wait for Losi to elevate their game. I am reading this thread and see people are having problems with landings on xb4. Any advice would be great. Also what motor shold i run? I have a brand new orion pro 160 amop speedo i plan to use. Also what parts should I stock up on? Last thing i want is to break down and not be able to continue racing.

Thanks guys
The car is a beast. Easily as durable as any other 4wd. Some people will just complain about anything. I beat the crap out of mine and have barely broken anything.

I have an orion vortex r10 in mine too. I use a 6.5 ReVtech motor. Most guys I know use 5.5-7.5 in 4wd.

Stock up on spare wings. Wing mounts too. The backs of the mounts tend to break off

I have spares of most things, but I haven't needed much. Killed a couple of wing mounts, a spur and a set of diff internals. Most recently I managed to mangle a steel diff outdrive though(weird random break that I highly doubt will ever happen again). Virtually everything I broke was my fault. I have not been remotely gentle with this car. It amazes me that I haven't broken a lot more. It's a very durable car.
__________________
Dave Locke
Team PerformanceHobbies.ca | ORCA RC | Bodies by Brandon | Team Meeting
XRAY T4'15 x2 | XRAY XB4 | XRAY XB8E | XRAY XB8
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:01 AM   #2582
Tech Elite
 
joeymdz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Oreogan
Posts: 2,993
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to joeymdz
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock man View Post
Hello Gents! I recently purchased an Xray b4. I should have it here by Friday. I am new to 4x4 buggies. I read good things and bad things about the xb4. I just couldn't wait for Losi to elevate their game. I am reading this thread and see people are having problems with landings on xb4. Any advice would be great. Also what motor shold i run? I have a brand new orion pro 160 amop speedo i plan to use. Also what parts should I stock up on? Last thing i want is to break down and not be able to continue racing.

Thanks guys
This too was my first 4wd buggy and its a BLAST!!! (should of bought it months ago!) I bought mine used from an xray driver so it had the V2 stuff. Landings are one of the hardest things to get right and be consistent with. The only issue that I have is filling the front end up with soft dirt every now and then (wished it came with a curved bumper). With that in mind I have not broken anything... yet (and remember this is my first 4wd). I did purchase an 84 spur, drive shaft pins, and extra full complete diffs

I had an LRP 6.5 but fried it... now im running an orion 7.5 with 84/23 gearing and its fast. so depending on your track you should look around the 5.5-10.5
joeymdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:03 AM   #2583
Tech Elite
 
joeymdz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Oreogan
Posts: 2,993
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to joeymdz
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by locked View Post
I have not been remotely gentle with this car. It amazes me that I haven't broken a lot more. It's a very durable car.
Statement of the year with this car!!! so true!
joeymdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:04 AM   #2584
Tech Apprentice
 
glock man's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 79
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by locked View Post
The car is a beast. Easily as durable as any other 4wd. Some people will just complain about anything. I beat the crap out of mine and have barely broken anything.

I have an orion vortex r10 in mine too. I use a 6.5 ReVtech motor. Most guys I know use 5.5-7.5 in 4wd.

Stock up on spare wings. Wing mounts too. The backs of the mounts tend to break off

I have spares of most things, but I haven't needed much. Killed a couple of wing mounts, a spur and a set of diff internals. Most recently I managed to mangle a steel diff outdrive though(weird random break that I highly doubt will ever happen again). Virtually everything I broke was my fault. I have not been remotely gentle with this car. It amazes me that I haven't broken a lot more. It's a very durable car.
locked, Thanks for your advice.
glock man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:06 AM   #2585
Tech Apprentice
 
glock man's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 79
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymdz View Post
This too was my first 4wd buggy and its a BLAST!!! (should of bought it months ago!) I bought mine used from an xray driver so it had the V2 stuff. Landings are one of the hardest things to get right and be consistent with. The only issue that I have is filling the front end up with soft dirt every now and then (wished it came with a curved bumper). With that in mind I have not broken anything... yet (and remember this is my first 4wd). I did purchase an 84 spur, drive shaft pins, and extra full complete diffs

I had an LRP 6.5 but fried it... now im running an orion 7.5 with 84/23 gearing and its fast. so depending on your track you should look around the 5.5-10.5
joeymdz, thanks for the advice. think Ill un a 7.5 and try it out. What brand pinion gears are you guys buying?
glock man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:39 AM   #2586
Tech Addict
 
.AJ.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Basingstoke UK
Posts: 601
Default

I've got LRP X20 7.5 in mine and its a beast
__________________
Losi 5ive T - Bartolone G340 - Hitec 1000 & 845 - MIP Shocks & Brakes + loads more.
TLR 8ight E 4.0 - HW Xerun XR8 Plus - Xerun 2250kv G2 - Protek 170t - IP powered

Spektrum DX4R Pro
.AJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:57 AM   #2587
Tech Apprentice
 
glock man's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 79
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by .AJ. View Post
I've got LRP X20 7.5 in mine and its a beast
What pinion gear are you using? 48 pitch?
glock man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:06 AM   #2588
Tech Master
 
locked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,758
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

replied to your pm.

It's a 48p spur, so you need 48 pitch pinions. I think I have a 20 tooth Robinson pinion on there at the moment(at work, can't check). I'm sure any brand of 48p pinion will fit fine.
__________________
Dave Locke
Team PerformanceHobbies.ca | ORCA RC | Bodies by Brandon | Team Meeting
XRAY T4'15 x2 | XRAY XB4 | XRAY XB8E | XRAY XB8
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:06 AM   #2589
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 455
Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default

I ended up going with the xray finally and am super happy with it. I have only ran 6 battery packs through it so far, but I have not broken a single thing. Running an 8.5 on a 92x48 indoor clay track and it has plenty of power. Very well designed vehicle, good quality parts, fit and finish is top notch. This is my first 4wd buggy ever, and I am very happy with it. First race out I tq'ed (9 cars in the class), but made too many mistakes in the main and ended up 3rd. The base setup is easy to drive. It jumps well. Not much more I can say. Good stuff.

Jason
jschurig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:18 AM   #2590
Tech Elite
 
rraden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 4,664
Trader Rating: 231 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymdz View Post
Landings are one of the hardest things to get right and be consistent with. The only issue that I have is filling the front end up with soft dirt every now and then (wished it came with a curved bumper).
Try putting a RC10GT rear bumper on the front of the car. You have to do some modifications but mine works great and no more dirt mounds on the front of the car. I'll post a pic when I get home.
__________________
Xray XB8E 2016 | MBX7TR Eco | Xray XB4 2017 | Xray XB2 DE | Xray XB8 2017
Dirt Burners - Livonia, Mi
The Track - Carleton, MI
rraden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:30 AM   #2591
Tech Master
 
BentKa's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Norway
Posts: 1,348
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymdz View Post
Landings are one of the hardest things to get right and be consistent with. The only issue that I have is filling the front end up with soft dirt every now and then (wished it came with a curved bumper).
Quote:
Originally Posted by rraden View Post
Try putting a RC10GT rear bumper on the front of the car. You have to do some modifications but mine works great and no more dirt mounds on the front of the car. I'll post a pic when I get home.
BugleBoyRacing offer a curved front bumper for the XB4

It protects the original front bumper and hinge pin holder.

But it does however rob you of a few mm of ground clearance and extend a bit in the front as well, which is quite noticeable on certain tracks.

Bent
__________________
Xray XB4 | Xray XB2 | Xray XT2 | Xray XB8 | Xray XB8E | Xray T4 | Xray X12
Factory Team driver for:
XRAY | ORCA | JConcepts | FX-Engines | Hudy | G-Force | Maxima Fuel | Hiro Seiko
DubiDesign | Maugrafix | YeahRacing | rcMart | IB Prostart
Follow Malin on Facebook for race reports and setup tips
BentKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:42 AM   #2592
Tech Elite
 
joeymdz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Oreogan
Posts: 2,993
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to joeymdz
Default

Thanks for the idea guys for the front bumper... But I'll just do it the old fashion way and learn to downside the correct way!! HAHA


PS~ to my original question has anyone noticed that weighing the diff oil and eyeballing it is not the same? (should I just rely on eyeballing it?)
joeymdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 01:38 PM   #2593
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 2,049
Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default

just a quick question or 2..

are the new kits coming with the V2 parts? diffs and gears and such?

also, anyone else notice most factory guys are going away from the button head screws, to countersunk with washers?
__________________
Daniel Grobe
----------------------
Sponsors:
Proline Racing / RC America / Xray
dgrobe2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:01 PM   #2594
Tech Elite
 
aloksatoor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: N California
Posts: 3,099
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default

Guess just to spread the load. The washers a bit wider and has more give than a steel button head.
__________________
MP9 TKI3 | ZX6 | RB6 | MBX7r Eco
aloksatoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:13 PM   #2595
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Helmond, The Netherlands
Posts: 34
Default

As for the wing problems (and as seen with many other cars). I mounted a RudeBits wing and had no problems since. LMR also makes decent wings... They are thicker and way a bit more but they are really though.
gdw1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
EP buggies thread sim600 Malaysian R/C Racers 3586 03-30-2016 11:53 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 09:37 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net