R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree38Likes

Old 02-23-2013, 02:58 AM   #1651
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

I have to say that my car is getting very durable with my tower mod, aluminum shock towers and metal gears. Now instaed of tower breaking on a off camber landing its the rear upright. I have broken 3 in the last week. May try to boil them. Im not hitting anything its the landing itself that is breaking the upright. If I dont hit the jump perfectly square it breaks. Hope the boiling works.
Jamison R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:01 AM   #1652
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seth556 View Post
Black anodized shock towers are finally available.

http://mbsracing.com/shop/xb4-alumin...k-towers-black
Will you have these in stock soon?
Jamison R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:42 AM   #1653
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamison R View Post
I have to say that my car is getting very durable with my tower mod, aluminum shock towers and metal gears. Now instaed of tower breaking on a off camber landing its the rear upright. I have broken 3 in the last week. May try to boil them. Im not hitting anything its the landing itself that is breaking the upright. If I dont hit the jump perfectly square it breaks. Hope the boiling works.
How the upright brokes?

Durango has the same issue, at least according to my friend. It helps to add a shim and nut to the other side of the camber link.
Doing that will load the part differently.

Haven't had a chance to test myself.
Destiny&V-Dezign 1:12- Sanwa M12s - Xray XB4 2016 - Xray XB2 DE - HW XR10Pro & Team Orion R10.1 Pro & Sanwa Super Vortex Zero Gen2- Team Orion Vortex & Muchmore & Reedy BL motors - Sanwa & Highest & Sav÷x servos
Peakki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:02 AM   #1654
Tech Rookie

I finished my shock setting using a initial shock oils in kits, but it makes some weird sounds likes air leaking. I can't explain exactly, I think there is some problems. Also, the shocks doesn't works well, usually pushing front or rear parts, they are bounded slowly but they are bounded a little quickly. And when I throw down from the 1~1.5 meters height, bottom chassis is crushed the floor.
What should I do?
useung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:31 AM   #1655
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Started building the kit, and its been a pleasure to build so far except for a couple heads striping on fasteners. On the front bulk head I had two 3x10 2mm bhcs strip out on me, one in the top of the diff case and one for the shock tower. Had to use a dremel to cut a slot in the top of the head and turn them out with a screwdriver, and it was tight to get to them with the dremel. Used some replacements and noticed the heads are deeper on them then the xray screws.

I bought new bits for this build, pre tapped everything and only tighten to snug. Never had a problem stripping allen key heads before. Anyone else have this issue?
Old 02-23-2013, 09:54 AM   #1656
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaner View Post
Started building the kit, and its been a pleasure to build so far except for a couple heads striping on fasteners. On the front bulk head I had two 3x10 2mm bhcs strip out on me, one in the top of the diff case and one for the shock tower. Had to use a dremel to cut a slot in the top of the head and turn them out with a screwdriver, and it was tight to get to them with the dremel. Used some replacements and noticed the heads are deeper on them then the xray screws.

I bought new bits for this build, pre tapped everything and only tighten to snug. Never had a problem stripping allen key heads before. Anyone else have this issue?
Xray seems to have gotten a bad batch of screws as this seems to be a common complain. I had to Dremel several screwsyself. Just replace them and you should have no worries

Orion - Futaba - Savox - RCAmerica
annonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:09 AM   #1657
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by useung View Post
I finished my shock setting using a initial shock oils in kits, but it makes some weird sounds likes air leaking. I can't explain exactly, I think there is some problems. Also, the shocks doesn't works well, usually pushing front or rear parts, they are bounded slowly but they are bounded a little quickly. And when I throw down from the 1~1.5 meters height, bottom chassis is crushed the floor.
What should I do?
No offense but is this you first car ? The symptoms you are describing are true foe every car. What you have to learn is the same thing we all go through. Start reading and wrenching. The XB4 shocks aren't the best but they are very good.

Ok enuf of me being a smarty pants. Apologies.
The Xray shocks have there issues like they do leak a bit. But your issues sound more like a simple bleeding process leaving some air in the shock. See youtube for some videos on the process.
As for the drop test it sounds again normal. The real test is how it runs on the track. The shock oils and pistons are part of the whole setup package and even on the same track people can have big personal differences, so you'll just need to go through the process.
ps the drop test is usually 6-12 inches....

Last edited by asc6000; 02-23-2013 at 01:46 PM.
asc6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:14 AM   #1658
Tech Elite

Quote:
What brand of tool ? many of the fancy aftermarket tools are JUNK. A poorly made tool will strip a head out in the blink of an eye.
Do yourself a favor and get MIP tools, I have some that are over 20 years old and still like new tips. You only need one, a 2mm will do 90% of the screws in this car.
Do not use the ball style !
Tapping is probably uneccasarry.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:37 AM   #1659
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by asc6000 View Post
What brand of tool ? many of the fancy aftermarket tools are JUNK. A poorly made tool will strip a head out in the blink of an eye.
Do yourself a favor and get MIP tools, I have some that are over 20 years old and still like new tips. You only need one, a 2mm will do 90% of the screws in this car.
These ones...

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAYPF&P=7

I've been using these AE ones with pretty good luck. Bought a new one for the xray but didn't seem to help, the tip looks fine and has no issues with other screws but the xray ones. So far only had to turn out two, hopefully that will be it. I will look into the MIP tips, are these the ones you are talking about...?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXRKD6&P=SM
Old 02-23-2013, 01:42 PM   #1660
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Quote:
just started the build and striped 1 screws using my MIP tools
ronzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:49 PM   #1661
Tech Elite

Quote:
These ones...

I've been using these AE ones with pretty good luck. Bought a new one for the xray but didn't seem to help, the tip looks fine and has no issues with other screws but the xray ones. So far only had to turn out two, hopefully that will be it. I will look into the MIP tips, are these the ones you are talking about...?

Those should be fine but Iv'e tried a few other brands and always found them inferior to MIP, which btw makes the Losi wrenches.
This is the bomb
http://miponline.com/store/mip9008.html
After some thought (and a 4 mile run) it very well could have been a junk screw.

and with that I am off to the track, races start in 2 hours
http://www.tqspeedway.com/media
this car rocks the world maybe it's just me.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:26 PM   #1662
Tech Rookie

Quote:
No offense but is this you first car ? The symptoms you are describing are true foe every car. What you have to learn is the same thing we all go through. Start reading and wrenching. The XB4 shocks aren't the best but they are very good.

Ok enuf of me being a smarty pants. Apologies.
The Xray shocks have there issues like they do leak a bit. But your issues sound more like a simple bleeding process leaving some air in the shock. See youtube for some videos on the process.
As for the drop test it sounds again normal. The real test is how it runs on the track. The shock oils and pistons are part of the whole setup package and even on the same track people can have big personal differences, so you'll just need to go through the process.
ps the drop test is usually 6-12 inches....

Thanks for your advisory, you are right it's my first car. I have to start reading and wrenching. Thanks again
useung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:05 PM   #1663
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by useung View Post
Thanks for your advisory, you are right it's my first car. I have to start reading and wrenching. Thanks again
good on you, have fun. Hook up with some locals, in person advice is better than online.
You do realize you bought the Ferrari of rc cars don't you, you the man!
Old 02-23-2013, 06:41 PM   #1664
Tech Adept

I just finished the car, but left the shocks for last... opened the shock bag to start on them...

...one pivot ball for the shock ends is oversized/unfinished. Dont have a replacement this size so will have to just do what I can do.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:01 PM   #1665
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
These ones...

XRay kits you need Hudy drivers or they will strip
zzztech is offline   Reply With Quote