Like Tree246Likes

Xray XB4 thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 08:44 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default yea

Originally Posted by Eaglesrx
thinking about getting one of these. i'm used to ae cars and the ball diffs. how often do you have to change the oil on the gear diffs? when you check to see if it needs changing, how do you check? based on feel of rotation of the rear tires, just like a ball diff? thanks
yea, you can feel the rear diff and know its time to run new fluid or add fluid....
Old 02-12-2013, 12:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by KalEl63
If it is any help I am running an 18T with a 6.5T Nosram and temps on Saturday didn’t go past 60 degrees C (plus warm day in my part of Australia)
Usually running 24T on the durango with 6.5T.
My LHS said I have to use 5.5T on the next car. I've ordered a pinion 19T to start with .
Old 02-12-2013, 04:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 121 (100%+)

Got a tracking number for the upgrade kit today.

THANK YOU GS HOBBY!!!!
Old 02-13-2013, 06:58 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

just placed my order for the XB4... cant wait to run it!
Old 02-13-2013, 07:09 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Likewise... just pulled the trigger on one. Had a REALLY hard time deciding between this and the K1, but I'm happy with my choice.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by caguilar4
just placed my order for the XB4... cant wait to run it!
Originally Posted by Deaner
Likewise... just pulled the trigger on one. Had a REALLY hard time deciding between this and the K1, but I'm happy with my choice.
You guys will love this car once you get it. (I hope)

The kit set up is very good and easy to drive it has a load of steering maybe a bit too much for my liking so I will switch the Ackerman link the #2 spot to calm it down a little
and I have put 7K in the rear diff as it wanted to unload a bit too much for my liking.

I will see how this goes with this weekends racing
Old 02-14-2013, 02:59 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

My LHS got my update kit in yesterday so I dropped by and picked it up.

Attached Thumbnails Xray XB4 thread-update.jpg  
Old 02-14-2013, 07:53 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Those with upgrade kits did it stop parts from breaking?

Or problem got transferred to other areas?
Old 02-14-2013, 08:01 AM
Tech Adept

So to get the upgrade package you just have to request it from the shop you bought your buggy from? Or are the upgrade packs starting to get shipped with the kit now?
Old 02-14-2013, 08:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I finally broke the front bulkhead last night. I had an extra with me but when I got home I looked around to order a spare and found that GSHobby has the new V2 bulkheads in stock.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

The "upgrade" kit contains stronger shock towers and braces for both front and rear towers specific to their problem. Additionally a stronger front diff case. And finally 2 sets of diff gears.
In this regard I am still running all the original components. Broke the tab off the rear tower, glued it back on and fabbed a brace, Problem Solved. Cracked the front diff case, glued and braced, PS. The diff gears are finally giving up the ghost but some of that is due to me. I'm gonna shim and try one more time but have the gears on hand in case I need to work on the car at the track.
I bought 2 kits the day they came out and one is still unopened.
Love this car, I just wish our track was fast enough to let it fly.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:29 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the info asc6000, do you guys use JBweld to put components back into game shape or just ca glue?

Part of me is worried about the durability of this car as I will be running it on my outdoor track, but I was also concerned about my b4.1 after reading about it here on rctech... After a year of being run by a newb to 2wd all I broke was a clear diff cover and wore out two front bumpers. So I'm hoping the xb4 surprises me much like the b4.1.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Part of the challenge for me was gear diffs. Although I have had plenty of gear diff vehicles and still do I've not had a "racing" gear diff car since...? Avante ?
The car itself is wonderful. Simply designed, well crafted, drives like a rocket on rails and is easy to work on.
Oh yea, the shocks leaked but that stopped after touching up the tops of the bodys and a couple testing changes. They actually work very well. I thought they were junk when I built them as the shafts wobbled so bad that I expected to see all the fluid on the bench the next day but they are solid.
This car hasn't been different than most in the sense we have to learn the nuances and subtleties and get in tune with the cars needs.
Please tell your competitors about my ZX5 for sale : )
Old 02-14-2013, 09:50 AM
Tech Adept

Ha Ill run the zx5 by them. When you say you had to touch up the tops, are you talking about refilling with fluid or something else? After following this thread it seems like some guys are losing diff fluid but can't see it on the chassis or anywhere else... Wonder if they need to be "marinated" so to speak, then they swell and do not require shims? Don't want to destroy the gears and would prefer running stock diffs over the metal ones.

This will be my first 4wd 1/10 so I'm pretty pumped about trying it out.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Deaner
Ha Ill run the zx5 by them. When you say you had to touch up the tops, are you talking about refilling with fluid or something else? After following this thread it seems like some guys are losing diff fluid but can't see it on the chassis or anywhere else... Wonder if they need to be "marinated" so to speak, then they swell and do not require shims? Don't want to destroy the gears and would prefer running stock diffs over the metal ones.

This will be my first 4wd 1/10 so I'm pretty pumped about trying it out.
I do believe the giff dears swell. Xray said not to shim them because they will expand. I never broke the original towers or diff cases. However, my buddy was Losi'd by a out of control SCT and it did break his rear tower.

I upgraded to the 4mm Team SR towers and have had zero issues. Granted, I don't crash too much, but I've had a few 30 mph car wheels with zero breaks. I've only had one ball cup pop off. Not a single DNF with the the car.

My shocks did leak initially from the shock tops, but after I put some black grease on the threads and rebuilt them a few times, I haven't had any further issues with leaking. The shocks are very smooth.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.