R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 03-27-2005, 07:32 PM   #1
Tech Rookie
Default Rc10 problem

I got a buddies rc10 .15 ... it will not start for anything , stripped the motor down and cleaned it all out cause he said it sat for a year , with FUEL in it . well when i did this i come to fine metal fragments pressed into the motor casing where the piston arm lopes, not sure of this but is there supposed to be a piston ring in the groove on the piston itself cause if so then i think the metal fragments are the ring. any comments are appreciated .

thanks sprtmaxxxmitch

p.s it also dont build up enough pressure in the exhuast to push fuel up like its not getting compression this also leads me to the ring
sprtmaxxxmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 08:09 PM   #2
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

There's no rings on that motor. But if you found metal fragments that's not a good sign. Did you take the whole motor apart? You should be able to see where they came from. If everything looks ok, and the bearings look ok then it should start. Low compression will make it hard to start, but it should run. Just have to set the idle up higher.

Take the high speed needle off and flush that out, low speed needle as well. New fuel line, or at least cut 1/8 inch off each ends of the fuel supply line. Set high speed needle 2 1/2 turns from closed, and low speed needle 1 1/2 from closed. New glow plug, and good igniter should get it running.

But any metal found in an engine is a bad sign of stuff to come.

*edit* The exhaust doesn't push the fuel up. It just helps stabalize it in the tank. Compression in the motor sucks it up. It'll run fine without the pressure line even attached.

Last edited by jbrow1; 03-27-2005 at 08:14 PM.
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 08:59 PM   #3
Tech Regular
Send a message via AIM to beetlebz

the metal flakes could have come from the bearing itself. if the bearing is destroyed that could be why there is no compression in the engine.

id give the bearings a good once over. but if it was running when those flakes got there, id be prepared to price out new engines. when the engine is apart, look around the base of the piston sleeve. I had the same thing happen once and i couldnt find where the flakes came from. come to find out that the bottom of the piston sleeve had gotten chipped up somehow.
beetlebz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 02:58 AM   #4
Tech Rookie

thanks jbrow, i will give those a shot and let ya know what comes of it , and yes i had the entire motor apart and everything looks smooth except that one spot where the arm lopes.
sprtmaxxxmitch is offline   Reply With Quote