R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Radio, speed control questions (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/67393-radio-speed-control-questions.html)

kctay 03-27-2005 02:43 PM

Radio, speed control questions

I'm just getting back in to electric racing after a 10 year layoff.

A few questions. What is the current best radio setup. I want to go with synthesized, but I want a radio that is compatible with the Spektrum setup which I will eventually use once they get it all ironed out.

Also, what is the best forward only Speed controller to get. Back when I was racing before, Tekin was the best, now I barely see their product anywhere. Also, do you still have to attach a shottkey diode to all your motors when using a Novak?

I am also way out of touch regarding the best hi-torque servos. What will work best for a truck, I will be running the xxxt MF, and a 10T4.

Thanks in advance

Scottmisfits 03-27-2005 03:34 PM

For servo's I use the Hitec's. For an electric, if you want to spend the money, get the 925 or the digital version, the 5925. Have you're end poinys set right and you'll be fine with them. Alot cheaper than the Airtronic's servo's and Futaba's.

As for a radio, I use an Airtronics M8. For me it's very comfortable. It has modules so it can handle any type of system you through at it. Crystals, Synthesized, 27mhz, 75mhz, or the Spektrum system. You could also check out the Futaba 3pk I believe it is, but I'm probaly wrong on the model. Hitec also makes a module based high end radio. As does KO Propo. I'm running an older Tekin in my TC and a LRP Digital V6 in my XXX/XXXT MF. I quite like it but it'd be hard to go wrong with the Novak ones either.

T-BirdJunkie 03-27-2005 03:45 PM

www.teamtekin.com
they're BACK in business, they were on hiatus for a while. I'm runnin the G12+ in my B2 (100% old school, yo!)
At any rate, the JR R1/R1 pro, Futaba 3PK, and Airtronics/Sanwa M8 are all going to be supportd by the Spektrum system, but I'm not sure when the JR and Futaba module is coming out.
hope that helped.

kctay 03-27-2005 04:41 PM

Thanks guys. What about the Shottky diodes? If I remember right (and I'm old) you don't have to run those diodes with the Tekin, is that right?

I figure I am going to have to go with the M8 (with backlighting), or the Futaba 3Pk, if i want the expandability with the radio.

Although I used to use the JR 756, I can't seem to find the JR R1 anywhere, and I'm told it is to be discontinued.

So I'll probably go with the G-10 Tekin, and a .13, with 90 torque + on the servo. I'm concerned with the Futaba 3pk since I think it requires a digital servo, which limits the choices.

I have never used the M8, is it comfortable? If not, it looks like the Futaba, but there is two models of the 3PK, one is the LXCML6, and one is the LXCML5, I can see that they come with different recievers. There is a sythesized module for about $80.00, so that might be the way to go. I'm just so unfamiliar with the new stuff. Any help would be appreciated!

T-BirdJunkie 03-27-2005 05:21 PM

I run them on my Novak Cyclones, but NOT on my G12. hasn't hurt my G12 yet, but I'd be afraid to do so on my Cyclones.
I don't think the new G10 requires one. You might also wanna check out Motronik and LRP for ESC's
*edit*
Oh, and also, the 3PK also is HRS only (iirc)
HRS=High Response System, which yes, is only digital servo friendly. I run a Futaba 3PM w/o the HRS turned on, and running my JR Z590 in my TC, it turns with authority and tracks very straight. supposedly (i have yet to find out for myself) digital servos are overall better (with their holding ability under a heavy load), so aside from price, I see no problem with them.

only issue with me is, I can get a JR Z650 or Hitech HS645 with 100+ oz-in of torque for $50, and pay easily 2.5x as much for a digital servo with the same torque (albeit a better transit time)

kctay 03-27-2005 07:20 PM

Thanks, so you can turn off the HRS, and thus not need the digital servo?

I was looking at the digital servos, and they aren't that bad. $79.99 at Tammies will buy you the S-9451 with a speed of .13, and torque of 97oz.

So are you recommending the Futaba for future expandability as far as the radio?

I'm also pretty sure I'm going to go with the Tekin G-10. I know that quite a few years have past, but 10 years ago I seemed to have less problems with the tekin, and also didn't have to sodder a Shottkey on every motor....

Thanks

T-BirdJunkie 03-27-2005 09:33 PM

I'm not sure if you can turn off the HRS on the 3PK, i KNOW you can on my 3PM (just a nice computer/sport radio)
personally, i'd go with an XS3/XS3 Pro. synthesized, comes with a Z590M and synth receiver, all for $200 or less

kctay 03-28-2005 10:54 AM

Yeah, I'm leaning towards the XS3 pro ($249.00), but the problem with this radio is that it doesn't have expandability for Spektrum, if I opt for that at a later date once they get the bugs worked out.

Plus, even though the Futaba is pricey, it does come with the charger, and battery pack. The JR requires that you purchase the battery pack ($29.00) and the charger (29.95).

So I'm not sure what to do. I'd wish I could get some good reviews, or feedback on the M8 as well. Hard to find that stuff.

T-BirdJunkie 03-28-2005 11:35 AM

PERSONALLY, even though the Spektrum is supposed to be an awesome system, I don't plan on EVER getting their setup for anything. Synth is the way to go IMO. you *shouldn't* have any problems with it, assuming people don't get on your frequency during a race

Scottmisfits 03-28-2005 05:24 PM

I had the XS3 system. I used an M8 and bought one. Just the amount of stuff you can do with it is virtually limitless. The reason to get eh Spektrum is so that nobody will have you're channel. It's imposible. You'd have to have 79 other guys running before there's any kind of problems and there's still not a problem unless you're number 80.

AE Racer 03-28-2005 08:06 PM

If you dont want to use digital servos with the 3pk then just buy the pcm version. The HRS reciever will only work with digital servos, but the PCM reciever (which comes with the pcm version) can be used with analog or digital servos.

T-BirdJunkie 03-28-2005 08:36 PM

Dang, I didn't know PCM could run standard servos.
learn somethin new every day:D

DrOlds 03-28-2005 10:00 PM

All of the Tekin ESC's have internal diodes and caps.They also have 6v 5amp BEC to the servos.You'll really like the G10.Tekin is also selling leftover G12CIII's on their site for $60-also a great speedo-a little big by today's standards but there is plenty of room for it in a truck.Airtronics servos are a little pricey but they are worth it.I have 2 better Futaba's and all the rest are Airtronics-never had any trouble with either but the Airtronics are just a little "sweeter".I used a 94738 in my xxxt and liked it just fine.I have had some std and digital Hitec servos and didn't like them much.I don't think you can go wrong with a 3PK or an M8.I think the M8 is probably the most popular and it would come down to which one felt best in your hand.(I'm still using a 3PJ) I don't like using rechargeable batteries in my radio and have gone back to running alkalines.Nicad/nimh cells are 1.2v and alkalines are 1.5 so they start out fully charged at 9.6v instead of 12v so you have to charge the radio batts before every raceday-if you forget to(like I did a lot) you end up putting a set of alkalines in it to get thru a raceday.They are cheap at Home Depot/Lowes and mine last about a month.Hope this helps.

T-BirdJunkie 03-28-2005 10:02 PM

the G12 is the single best ESC I've ever run.
I used to like my Cyclone better...but...nah.
go grab one of those G12's NOW.
before I buy 'em all:sneaky: