Community
Wiki Posts
Search

lipo batteries....TRUE C rating????

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 04:41 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by LowBudgetRacer
I currently run Gens Ace 5300 65C lipos in all my cars. They are a great lipo for the price and I have had very few problems with them. We have a couple guys that run Max Amps lipos and I see no difference in there performance and mine. When people give me a hard time about running Gens Ace vs a high dollar name brand lipo I just remind them that I can buy 2 lipos for the price of there one and I still can beat them. Remember all lipos are produced by two factorys in China and then are sold and assembled by companys around the world, so how different can they be really.

That is true man i run cheap Lipo packs like Zippy, Blue Lipo, G force lipo and i cant tell hardly any diffrence at all with the Max Amps 10,000 mah 4s Pack which is double the money.

Which i bought used from a racer that has a lower rating which is a 20c burst/30 condious . Which runs fine on my E-Truggy.

And yup all the lipos are made in the same place and i bet the same factory.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Pretty much what everyone else said. C Ratings are marking gimmicks. If a 5000mah pack was actually able to do 65C that would be 325 continuous amps. Good luck getting 10 guage wire to handle that much current, let alone 12 guage.

An example I use at the shop when people ask why some cost so much more than others is comparing a CRC (Calendra Racing Concepts) 5300mah 40C 2S to a Venom 5300mah 70C 2S. CRC's price is $54.99 and the Venom is $114.99, that's double the price for 30C more. I tell them unless you are running a 4WD SCT with a hot system there won't be much of a difference. What you're really paying for is the "lifetime" warranty you get with the Venom. Most end up going with the CRC sometimes two unless they are convinced on the warranty.

Still people will buy their 100C batteries and pay out the a** because they swear it gives them an advantage...
Old 10-25-2012, 05:22 PM
Tech Regular

as my sig openly declares i am a fan boy of SPC, i like the packs, they are not currently ifmar/roar legal and the owner has no plans to get them legalized for roar but i also dont run roar sanctioned events so i could care less. the packs are good, the company has been good to me and thats all that matters in my book.

from what ive been told, anything over 60c is pretty much a lie or a far stretching of the truth. just not technically possible.

as for the factories (again, from people in the know and not my own homework). well there are a few big ones and a very sophisticated one that does work directly for the Chinese govt. as well as tons of, i kid you not, garage type makers who basically just slap the paste on the foil sheet and plastic insert between each layer. the only one probably capable of making the constant "c" ratings we're seeing labelled on packs is that govt sponsored one and i doubt they are making packs for toy cars.

as for maxamps. aside from the blatant c rating lies, they are down right bullies. when the jang over on urc did a test of their pack they pulled out every stop to smother the truth. i would never recommend their batteries on moral grounds regardless of the packs performance.
http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=139612

if your looking for a battery that is going in an amp hungry setup look at higher capacity packs and dont worry so much about the c rating, capacity, cell build quality, and cell surface area are big factors in IR, also is the big part of how well the pack holds voltage under load.

you also have to consider longevity of a pack, some of these super low resistance and super high c-rating packs have just terrible cycle life, nano-techs come to mind. (yeah boo hoo hoo were picking on the popular cheap Chinese packs, cry me a river).

also some food for thought, its not all the rc brands fault, if they choose to believe what the factory tells them as far as battery specs go and they choose not to test them, well its a lie of omission if anything. also consider that if the brand orders a shipment of packs and they are not what the company asks for be it dimensions or c/capacity all the brand can do is push the pack through either as a new short run product, or simply ignore it. they cant demand a refund, the factory will tell them exactly where to stick that idea, especially if its a smaller operation.

Last edited by crazypeder; 10-25-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:47 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I have the 50C version of the promatch packs. Work great.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:56 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tran901
http://www.promatchracing.com/prodde...od=2S520060CSD

what do you think about the 60c 5200 saddle packs?

part#2S520060CSD
I run them in my B44.1 and love 'em!
Old 10-25-2012, 07:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

To get to that 60C rating for say 5000mah 2s...
you need worst cell to have at most 0.33m Ohm.
Good luck finding a lipo cell that can do that...
I think it falls in general from 2-10m ohm typically which is fall cry from their claimed C rating.
One usefulness of it is, that from same brand if they have different C rating, higher C has lower IR from what I've seen so far.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

i really need a good pack that will handle my rx8 and pro4 4000 or 4600. i need to run at least a 8-10 min main.

so what pack would you guys run? and if you have links to where i can buy them, that would be great!
Old 10-25-2012, 08:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Orion Carbon Pro 5500's.... not saying anything about being the best... c ratings.. I've had nothing but good luck with mine..

You DNF because of LiPo cutoff again ?!?!?!

Last edited by SOuthernFRIED; 10-25-2012 at 08:40 PM. Reason: forgot to ask
Old 10-25-2012, 08:46 PM
Tech Master

James i don't want to talk racing with you...... jk

nah, plastic servo horn decided to come loose! it was awesome racing bt me, sean, and clarence tonight. we were turning consistant 25sec laps!

i love this new durango!
Old 10-25-2012, 08:49 PM
Tech Master

I swear after Aeron gets this last football game played I'm Back! Durango and all!!!!

25's are sweet man. That's rollin

You may want to check mine out. I did the servo mod and it is tough and sweet lookin. Can't see ever having an issue plus cleaner look.. Easy to do too!
Old 10-25-2012, 08:49 PM
Tech Elite

i really need a good pack that will handle my rx8 and pro4 4000 or 4600. i need to run at least a 8-10 min main.

so what pack would you guys run? and if you have links to where i can buy them, that would be great!
Are you concerned with ROAR rules?
Old 10-25-2012, 08:52 PM
Tech Master

Oh and i've got 4 packs of the Orion Carbon's.. If you want to borrow some to try just holla. You can run a couple next race.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:55 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Jonny5
Are you concerned with ROAR rules?
im am not too concerned, but the track officials are

some of the indoor track we race at check our cars....plus is easier to run than parallel shorties
Old 10-25-2012, 09:09 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by iTz Nicholas72
Pretty much what everyone else said. C Ratings are marking gimmicks. If a 5000mah pack was actually able to do 65C that would be 325 continuous amps. Good luck getting 10 guage wire to handle that much current, let alone 12 guage.

An example I use at the shop when people ask why some cost so much more than others is comparing a CRC (Calendra Racing Concepts) 5300mah 40C 2S to a Venom 5300mah 70C 2S. CRC's price is $54.99 and the Venom is $114.99, that's double the price for 30C more. I tell them unless you are running a 4WD SCT with a hot system there won't be much of a difference. What you're really paying for is the "lifetime" warranty you get with the Venom. Most end up going with the CRC sometimes two unless they are convinced on the warranty.

Still people will buy their 100C batteries and pay out the a** because they swear it gives them an advantage...
Venom has a huge series of 5000mAh packs that are a little more affordable. My shop has had a hard time selling the expensive venom packs also. That being said, our best selling packs are venom 25c.

The only difference ive noticed between a 25c venom and a 60c Reedy pack is the way the packs relax after a long rip on the throttle. At full charge, the pack will perform the exact same, but after a few hard acceleration/deceleration cycles, the higher C rated packs tend to stay SLIGHTY stronger. That being said, most tracks don't have the traction to actually notice this difference.

What people need to focus on more is the current draw their motor is capable of. I've literally had 17.5 class drivers tell me that 90c packs are required to compete in that class, when the reedy 17.5 is only rated to a maximum of 27 amps. That tells me that a 5000mAh with a 20c continuous rating is 4 times more powerful than is necessary to power that motor.

On the other side of that coin, Tekin rates my Truggy motor capable of about 160A. I don't think I would want to push that motor to that kind of limit, but needless to say, I use a battery that has a continuous current rating that is comfortably over 160A.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:02 PM
Tech Elite

im am not too concerned, but the track officials are

some of the indoor track we race at check our cars....plus is easier to run than parallel shorties
How about dual 1s packs, something like this : http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...P?I=LXBYJF&P=8. They need to be mounted like the dual shorty setup, but would be a 2s pack wired just like saddles. Weight is nearly the same as saddles as well, and you gain 1000mah over most current saddle packs. That's what's going into Cush's V2 once he actually starts racing the class again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.