Wiki Posts
Search

Best 1/8 Scale Motor

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 07:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcgod
My first 1/8 ebuggy was a losi 8ight, and not knowing any better I put a 2200 castle on 6s in it. It was so overpowered it was undriveable on a track. But wheelies on demand from a 30mph roll, pizza cutter tires was fun. Unless you are doing speed runs to 90mph I dont know how you could want more. I don't think the mmp would handle it though. I was using the Mamba monster.
I run a Mamba Monster on 6s with the 2200KV castle in a converted Jammin X1CR buggy... it is just nuts, overpowered, fly out of control, look out, just nuts.

But it is fun to drive, and it is tough as nails, you can break it, but the thing does hold up well. Not something I would want to race I guess, at least not on 6S, but for the sake of bashing it can put on quite the show. Almost all the passes I can make are half throttle or less, but when you have a place to open it up it is kind of frightening...

If I was going to race the 1:8 e-buggy I would move to sensored setup, lower the KV a bit and just do 4S, but sometimes too much is just right
Old 10-26-2012, 05:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

so with that being said, it seems as though nobody on here has ran the lehner motors? i'm overly curious about these motors, pricey but they seem to be the most powerful option?

overpowered, out of control and unraceable all sound pretty much perfect for me.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:50 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

give RC-Monster forum a look. They will probably have guys who have run the Lehner motors you are interested in.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:50 AM
Tech Regular

My preference is Tekin (1400kv, 6S), because it is sensored and runs well.

I also have a Hacker (2-pole, C50 1350kv 6S), and have raced with it for 2 years. Nice motor.

Neu is excellent (I had a 1415 on 4S), but was too powerful for my use.
My Lehner 1940 (I have a 7 turn on 4S) is excellent, and the 2-pole power is sweet.
(The 2-poles give a softer feeling when they accellerate, and are therefore excellent for buggy racing).

Castle is also ok, and so is Losi Xcelorin. And Leopard (cheap + good).

SpeedPassion 1/8 broke after a short time, was junk.

With all these motors you may think I am a brushless motor addict, and yes, I am :-)
This is based on my experience, and reflects my order of preference, for buggies, on tracks.

Last edited by stigno; 10-26-2012 at 07:20 AM.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:53 PM
Tech Master

found a place in NY called Fine Design. they sell some wild motors and esc's. this guy i am working with says he can pull off a leopard or lehner with some esc i don't even recognize and run up to 8S in a losi lst2. buh bye drivetrain

tempted....
Old 10-26-2012, 07:07 PM
Tech Legend

Just an FYI. Look for reviews of Fine Design as a company before you purchase anything.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:01 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

leopard 4065 2700kv +3s ...... I have one with +350batt and still working perfect (only changed the bearings one time)

same quality motors than castle-neu ........ but for a 25% of her price
Old 10-27-2012, 04:14 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Cain
Just an FYI. Look for reviews of Fine Design as a company before you purchase anything.
How about you just tell me what you think of fine design? reviews are people sharing experiences based on biases, so tell me some facts. so far they seem to really know their stuff and refuse to bullshit me.

no offense meant, just know that reviews are usually spurred by overly angry customers who have had one-off happenings.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:07 PM
Tech Legend

"facts" as you desire are still in this case just opinions from people who have experiences with the company. Just as what you are seeing with your experiences may seem like facts to you, they are in reality just your opinions based on your individual experience like others.

No offense taken or meant here. Just want to help you to make an informed decision and hope your experience is a good one.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:25 AM
Tech Master

indeed cain, your point is spot on. i'm going to read up on it, but so far i am quite pleased with their knowledge, forecasted prices and service. hopefully, i'll be the first to write them a good review.

the only company i've found to be truly "all bad" is integy, and i think we all would agree on that one.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

in a truggy, you will want the MMM at a minimum. Raw torque, get a 1518 motor. stump pulling wheelie torque.
For sure ! I run a 1518 in my 8ight Te and its got so much power it will pull the front wheels up and wheelie with 10k in the center diff . Too bad Castle isnt making the 1518's anymore . I picked up a couple when they had that clearence sale and have one sitting unused on my spare parts shelf . Wish I had bought several of them as they are getting 2-3 times what they cost 2 years ago .....
Old 10-28-2012, 08:43 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by lemonader83
indeed cain, your point is spot on. i'm going to read up on it, but so far i am quite pleased with their knowledge, forecasted prices and service. hopefully, i'll be the first to write them a good review.

the only company i've found to be truly "all bad" is integy, and i think we all would agree on that one.
LOL. The funny thing is there are a few (AND I MEAN FEW) things from integy that work okay. Me personally, I have used and would still use the Integy Hex drivers, gold tip ones.

The hex drivers in particular other than the slick handles I have had now for, heck, probably 8 years. Just wish the handles weren't slick but I think newer ones you can get them with the little bumps for better grip. But they have been good enough that I have taken clamping pliers around them to break screws loose that were stuck, tips still good.

There mount of a 1/10 fan is useful with the SC10 4x4, I use it and it works well for what it is.

But yeah, there is A LOT of crap from them. Probably do mainly to the metals they use being softer than plastic LOL

I hope though the fine designs thing works out for you and maybe they do deserve a second look these days.

Originally Posted by BashemSmashem
For sure ! I run a 1518 in my 8ight Te and its got so much power it will pull the front wheels up and wheelie with 10k in the center diff . Too bad Castle isnt making the 1518's anymore . I picked up a couple when they had that clearence sale and have one sitting unused on my spare parts shelf . Wish I had bought several of them as they are getting 2-3 times what they cost 2 years ago .....
Yeah, the 1518 I feel personally is a great high power motor that can be driveable for racing too even in buggy. It has the power on tap that if you need it, you can easily blip it and clear things that would be issues for other motors. It also seems to balance well in the Tekno V4 conversion I put it in with heavier battery packs in the 5600mah 4S size.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:15 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Yeah, the 1518 I feel personally is a great high power motor that can be driveable for racing too even in buggy. It has the power on tap that if you need it, you can easily blip it and clear things that would be issues for other motors. It also seems to balance well in the Tekno V4 conversion I put it in with heavier battery packs in the 5600mah 4S size.
+1

I have a converted Jammin x1 CRT-e truggy that ran hot even with a 2200kv Castle motor (it uses buggy diffs until they released the x2). Bought a used Castle 1518 1800kv here on RC Tech, and all I can say is WOW!
Now runs cool and soo much power.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:25 AM
Tech Elite

It looks like that the silver arrow comes with two deans plugs? What if you just want to run one 14.8v battery instead?

for bashing and some racing, the MMM 2200Kv is not a bad combo. Purchased new, you get probably the longest warranty in the business right now at 1 Year.

I have tried the following ESCs:

- Tekin RX8
- Mamba Monster
- Mamba Max and Mamba Max Pro (1/8 buggy usage)
- Speed Passion Silver Arrow V2

If sticking with 4S, the Silver Arrow V2 works really well and is cheap. Like $75 shipped cheap NEW. its slightly bigger than the MMM though, so keep that in mind.

Warranty is about 90 days as well, but, from what I have heard its cost new is cheaper than out of warranty repair costs on the Tekin RX8. (about $94 dollars last I heard)

Another option though if you are on a budget that I have heard of people doing is calling Tekin direct and seeing if they have any refurb RX8s in stock. Those have been purchased for like $94 from what someone said.

But if you don't need sensored operation, the MMM seems to work really well. If doing truggy bashing, etc. Look into a Castle 1518 motor if you can find it. Its a slightly longer can than the 2200Kv motor with about an 1800Kv rating. I put this in a buddy of mines Tekno V4 D8 buggy that I used to own as he wanted some stump pulling torque and cool running. he hasn't stopped smiling since, very happy with it.

Castle and Tekin make great motors, for racing I always come back to Tekin's motors since they are sensored.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:23 AM
Tech Legend

Cut one side off and wire it up like a standard 1 pack connection. thats what I did.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.