Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HELP slash 4x4 novak 4.5 motor binding

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 05:22 PM
Tech Adept

Default HELP slash 4x4 novak 4.5 motor binding

Got a slash 4x4 put the novak 4.5 ballistics set up in it. ran great and now it binds, IF sometimes I need to give it full throttle to get it rollen then i can go slow and it works. Here is a video of it with the motor moved up so the gears are not in contact. NOTE the gear is not spinning its jerkin back n forth. I tried it with 2 different ESC and it does this and I replaced the sensor board in it and it still does it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-chnY...ature=youtu.be
Old 10-21-2012, 02:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

sensor board or cable, I would swap the cable.. may even just need to seat the cable down better..

cable is about $4-$8 a board is $15-$20 but if the motor is new they will send you one for free... takes a while though so I would still buy one and keep the one they send as a spare.

hope that helps
Old 10-21-2012, 04:22 AM
Tech Adept

alright thanks, I just replaced the sensor board so I guess ill get me a sensor cable.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Can't you just run it sensorless and make sure it's actually that? Or, you've already tried that?

Might just be me but that soldering on the motor doesn't look anything special either.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:16 AM
Tech Adept

Im going to try that in a hour or so. After I got it, I direct soldered the motor to the ESC, and now I ended up switchen motors and ESC trying to figure it out. thats why the solder looks like that. Its solid though. melted solder onto the terminal, melted a little in the wire, then put the wire on the terminal holden the soldering gun on the top till it heated up enough to melt the solder on the termnal, then removed the sodering gun holden the wire down with a screw for the solder to harden. so its a solid connection.

IF you know of a better way to solder it please say something
Old 10-21-2012, 09:18 AM
Tech Adept

Just removed the sensor wire and disabled sensored in the ESC, It runs better still not 100% but ill say 99% better.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:52 PM
Tech Adept

replaced the board, replaced the cable, switched esc and its still messing up. tried it without the cable and still did not work well when under load, if i moved the motor away from the gear it seems to work great but if the truck is on the ground it dont work 2 well. IF i put a sensorless motor in i got truck runs great.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:03 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Did you make sure that you wired the A B C wires the same from thr esc to the motor? Did you set the mmp to sensored only mode? If you didn't you will have issues. Are both esc's you tried mmp's? Mmp's have issues running sensored motors. Their software is not that great and causes some brands of sensored motors to act funny. If you changed out the sensor board an sensor wire and its still the same, then it's the esc that's the problem.

Btw Novak motors don't like to be run sensorless.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:57 PM
Tech Adept

ive switched wires around, I did disable sensor mode to run without a wire, and enable to it to run with the wire. the original esc is the novak havoc pro sc esc which it does the same thing the MMP esc is doing.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:53 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks for this post guys I was going through the same thing.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:41 PM
Tech Adept

Well. Ive replaced my sensor wire. my sensor. tried 2 different esc's and replaced my stator....so pretty much rebuilt the entire motor and it still messes up.

IF I give it a little throttle and spin the gear with the motor out of the truck it will go and i can throttle up and down just fine but when the motor comes to a stop 99% of the time ill have to spin it to get it going. I was doing these tests out of the truck and once i had it going and it stopped and esc detected rotor lock. so I got no idea. Novak wants me to send them the motor and extra parts for trouble shooting. I really dont want to wait around for shipping there and back and for them to figure it out and fix it.

my guess is its something simple im not seeing. Im thinking either just buy a brand new motor and use that and keep this one for spare parts since its all new parts (accept the armature) or throw it to the side and go with Tekin. novak tech support has been great with me though, emailing back in forth over the weekends and such trying to help me figure this out. I got novak in my rustler and LOVE IT. I really dont want to switch to tekin but if it means a better product might just have 2

AT this moment not interested in your thoughts novak vs tekin. Let me know how to fix this motor! LOL