Community
Wiki Posts
Search

need help with slash shocks

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 05:23 PM
Tech Rookie

Default need help with slash shocks

i know that this is probably going to get deleted but i'm new to the hobby and i need some help.

i recently rebuilt the rear shocks on my slash (2wd base model) and drained the shock fluid and replaced with 30 wt. fluid and then put the shock back together. i installed them and pushed down to see how they were and they did not bounce back up. do i have to thin of a fluid? or is it time to upgrade to new shocks already?

i appreciate any help.

thanks!
Old 10-18-2012, 06:30 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by buckeyerocker
i know that this is probably going to get deleted but i'm new to the hobby and i need some help.

i recently rebuilt the rear shocks on my slash (2wd base model) and drained the shock fluid and replaced with 30 wt. fluid and then put the shock back together. i installed them and pushed down to see how they were and they did not bounce back up. do i have to thin of a fluid? or is it time to upgrade to new shocks already?

i appreciate any help.

thanks!

hey buckey the 30wt oil is fair for slash 2wd. when i started changing oil i found this video very helpful to your problem. hope it helps you out
Old 10-18-2012, 06:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

I think previous post forgot to attach the video. however if the shocks don't reboud, you don't have enough oil in them and maybe didn't get the air bubbles bled out. Also did you check the seals that are in side the screw on cap on the bottom of the shock. If these are dried out, they may need some oil on them or replaced. If dry, they will drag the shock shaft and it will not push back smoothly and sometimes not all the way.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:54 PM
Tech Rookie

thanks. i topped off the oil and bled them by slowly pushing the shock up to the top and then slowly back to the bottom a few times. out of the box it had the 6mm spacer on the shock so i left it on there and added a 2mm and it seems to help greatly. later this week i may order the proline shocks but i'm not sure yet.

thanks again for the help. new to the hobby and trying to learn all i can.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:25 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by buckeyerocker
thanks. i topped off the oil and bled them by slowly pushing the shock up to the top and then slowly back to the bottom a few times. out of the box it had the 6mm spacer on the shock so i left it on there and added a 2mm and it seems to help greatly. later this week i may order the proline shocks but i'm not sure yet.

thanks again for the help. new to the hobby and trying to learn all i can.
I too am fairly new to sport/hobby, I will however say I purchased the proline shocks and they are definitely worth the money IMO. I have now ordered the spring kits for front and rear as well. If you are doing any racing try to spend extra time at the track, as you will be re-learning the truck a little. Just my .02