Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lowest battery c rating for castle 1800kv motor

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 08:23 AM
Tech Adept

Default Lowest battery c rating for castle 1800kv motor

Hey guys I just bought a rc8be from this guys and it has a castle 1800kv motor and the mamba monster esc. I was just wondering what lipo c rating and mah I should get? I would get a 14.8v or two 7.4v batteries but what c rating and mah should I get? I don't want the best $300 battery that is crazy fast I just want a good battery that will be good for my car and make it run good and fast. Two dynamite 7.4v 30c 5300mah batteries came with it so are those good? And should I run two 7.4v batteries or one 14.8v battery?
Old 10-16-2012, 08:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Running two 2S packs in series or one 4S pack will give you the same voltage. I'd rather have a single pack because it saves on weight and less things to go wrong with added connections.

I have the same motor in my Ve8 and my Turnigy 5000mah 20C 4S pack hasn't given me any issues so far puffing wise. It does come off a bit warm at 130-135* but I have No vent holes in my body.

I'd say at least 30C is ok but more important than C rating would be to get a quality battery.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Austin214
Hey guys I just bought a rc8be from this guys and it has a castle 1800kv motor and the mamba monster esc. I was just wondering what lipo c rating and mah I should get? I would get a 14.8v or two 7.4v batteries but what c rating and mah should I get? I don't want the best $300 battery that is crazy fast I just want a good battery that will be good for my car and make it run good and fast. Two dynamite 7.4v 30c 5300mah batteries came with it so are those good? And should I run two 7.4v batteries or one 14.8v battery?
Get two 2S packs and pair them up to 4S, more versitile that way as you can drop them in a 1:10 rig down the road.

As for C ratings, get the highest you can in your budget, on a 4S though you can get away with a lower C rating, it is the high demand 2S 1:10 setups that push the C rating need up.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

I had a 20c 4s that I ran in my truggy and buggy (both with 2200kv castle motors) and it eventually puffed and ALWAYS came off the track warmer than I'd like. Got some Turnigy 40c 5000 4s and its been great. Really 30c is the min I would recommend.

You can run your 2x 2s packs together to create a 4s pack. The higher the number of cells the more power you will have and higher speed, the higher the C the more punch you will have.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:51 AM
Tech Elite

Also, the manufactuere C rating system is not a way to compare batteries, now within a vendor it is fair to say that a higher rating is better, but when you try to comapre two companies with the same C rating it is far from straight forward. I am sure that there is not an impartial standard....
Old 10-16-2012, 08:57 AM
Tech Adept

Ok cool thanks guys so are my 7.4v 30c 5300mah dynamite batteries good to use in the buggy? And can batteries mess up your motor or speed control cause some guys told me that if I didnt get good batteries then it would they would?
Old 10-16-2012, 09:23 AM
Tech Elite

Ok cool thanks guys so are my 7.4v 30c 5300mah dynamite batteries good to use in the buggy? And can batteries mess up your motor or speed control cause some guys told me that if I didnt get good batteries then it would they would?
I would think those would be fine as long as you do not go nuts and gear up to the moon or run it on super hot blacktop. You are at the bottome of what most people would do though.

As for batteries messing up the other electronics, that would only be if you got a fire out of the deal or somehow ended up with a short. If your batteries do not cut it more than likely you will see them puff up.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Those batteries should be fine. In the early days of brushless, one popular ESC manufacturer liked to blame their failures on weak batteries. This is where the notion of bad batteries came from. This hasn't been a problem in several years.