Wiki Posts
Search

lipo puffed question

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 06:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)
Default lipo puffed question

Hey I have a protek 4100 70c shorty lipo that the case has starting to come apart in one corner of it from it being puffed. Im the second owner of it and i got the battery this way. Question is should I tape the case back down so its not open anymore. When I hooked it up to the charger both cells seem to be balanced correctly when I lipo stored it, both cells are reading 3.85. When I got the battery it was almost fully charged and both cells were reading 4.14. I would like to use the battery, but if its gonna be a safety issue I dont want to. Suggestions?
Old 10-14-2012, 06:57 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

I'd dispose of it. Sound's dangerous and if it goes in a car it'll take the car with it, costing lots of $$. Decent batteries can be had fairly cheap (check Pro-Match). It's not worth the risk having that thing in your cars (the real ones) or your house.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:59 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

I have two lipos that are puffed to the extreem, i mean the puffing doesnt make them run any dif, they take a full 5000mah and 6200mah..so, idk what the big deal is about the puffing being dangerous...but this is just my opinion!!
Not saying that u should trust yours, because i believe there are different types of puffing, so, just b sure to double check!!js
Old 10-15-2012, 06:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I have 2 revtech packs and both are puffed and I been using most of the summer that way .
Old 10-15-2012, 07:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

As I have been led to understand, part of the LiPo build is that gas is trapped in there when the seal the cell up. Some have more, some have less, but they all have a measure of gas in them, when they got hot, or over time as they get older the gas will escape the emulsion it is in and result in a puffy cell, much like a carbonated drink can release a gas when you shake it up.

The gas is a contaminate from what I get and cheaper cells are less pure and tend to be easier to puff up then the better ones. It is only a problem when the puffing exceeds the elasticity or the seams of the cell and they then fail. But when and how they fail is anybodies guess so it is better off to play safe when the puffing gets up there... and if you are asking "if this is too much" then more than likely it is.

Now if my impression on this is off I would love to have a better understanding.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:27 AM
Tech Lord

They are not supposed to puff or expand. If this has happened it is because something is wrong inside and the chemistry is changing. If the cell has been compromised then continuing to run it is asking for trouble. Leaving a damaged battery with charge in it is also asking for trouble. Just because they're not under load does not mean that they are dormant.

Decent batteries are cheap. It's not worth the risk to keep these around your homes. Be safe guys.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:56 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Protek (Amain brand) claims to have a 50% Damage Replacement warranty within a 1 year period.

Link (pdf)

I'm about to have to give this a shot for a fairly expensive pack that I purchased ~6 months ago that has now puffed to the point where I'm not comfortable using it.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:07 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

I think it all depends on the lipo and how its puffed. If they balance correctly showing no performance issues then I would say its safe if they show performance issues then its time for new lipos
Old 10-15-2012, 08:59 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I have 2 losi shorty packs with a slight puff that i run in a mod 2wd. They run as if they were new. My friend has the same packs and the puff is the same and he runs in the top of my club.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:58 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Ok so do I dispose of the lipo. I have read to discharge it but wouldn't that cause it to puff more??? What amp should I discharge it at safely then?? We're am I suppose to keep it at then if not in my house or garage or car??
Old 10-15-2012, 11:40 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by tony montana
Ok so do I dispose of the lipo. I have read to discharge it but wouldn't that cause it to puff more??? What amp should I discharge it at safely then?? We're am I suppose to keep it at then if not in my house or garage or car??
I found this:

http://thunderpowerrc.com/PDF/DISPOS...-BATTERIES.pdf

"1. If any LiPo cell in the pack has been physically damaged, resulting
in a swollen cell or a split or tear in a cell’s foil covering, do NOT discharge the battery.
Jump to step 5.

5. Submerse the battery into bucket or tub of salt water. This container should have a lid,
but it should not need to be air-tight. Prepare a plastic container (do not use metal) of cold
water. And mix in 1/2 cup of salt per gallon of water. Drop the battery into the salt water.
Allow the battery to remain in the tub of salt water for at least 2 weeks.
6. Remove the LiPo battery from the salt water, wrap it in newspaper or paper towels and
place it in the normal trash. They are landfill safe. "
Old 10-15-2012, 02:56 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Or take it out to the back yard and shoot it..lol...desposed of!
Old 10-15-2012, 04:56 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by theblitzkidd
Or take it out to the back yard and shoot it..lol...desposed of!
+1