Mini fridge for storing LIPOS????

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mini fridge for storing LIPOS????

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 06:49 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks guys you are great, i am finally done with this, question solved......i was trying to get around this for a coupe of days now, in other forums too and most people had never heard of this.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:59 PM
Tech Adept

Well not actually done.....i have another question. Lets say now i have the fridge and store my lipos inside at 20 degrees celsius, room temperature is at 28 d.c. and outside its 35 d.c. and i am ready to go out and race my ERBE. What is the safest procedure to get my lipos up to the desired temperature required before charging them?.....and what is that desired temperature? After a full charge, its time to head out at 35 d.c. how will that affect the lipo?

Another question, lets say i keep the lipos inside an airtight plastic bag and inside a plastic airtight container. when i first get it out of the fridge is it best to leave the lipo to warm up with out opening the container? or shall i open the container and out of the bag as soon as I get it out?

After 15 minutes and i am still editing hehehe. One question came in my mind as i was going through some humidors. What does a humidor actually do??is it just airtight or there is something more to it.

Last edited by KELLES; 10-07-2012 at 07:59 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

take them out of the container and or bag and let them come up to room temp (28*c) on their own (to let any condensation evaporate) and then charge them.

to use/charge them in a 35*c environment isn't an issue IMO, that's 95*F

While it shrinks your heat window, (never let a lipo get over 120*F) with a proper setup you shouldn't have heat issues.

IMO
Old 10-07-2012, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator

a humidor regulates humidity as well as temp.

better than a fridge, sure, but needed..I don't think so
Old 10-07-2012, 08:53 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by racer1812
a humidor regulates humidity as well as temp.

better than a fridge, sure, but needed..I don't think so
Humidity cannot affect the batteries?
Old 10-07-2012, 09:21 PM
Super Moderator

I'm sure it can but the fact that most of us are using lipos in conditions less extreme than yours means it's not an issue. At the same time those using a fridge are using the sealed bag to control it. Would a humidor be the best option, sure I guess, with a fridge and a sealed bag being the next best thing.

Understand I do neither, my house is 70*F (heat and AC) year round with an ambient temp at the track being the same or close. Outside summer temps can be 90*F plus but I don't see it as an issue. Storage vs. usage though, mine are always stored at 70* but have no issue using them outside in the summer when it's hot.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Originally Posted by KELLES
What are you talking about????? Humidor???? decompression chamber????? hyperbaric?????
You didn't hear it from me these Lipo companies would be mad if this got out people would never have to buy New lipos again its an old ancient Chinese Secret from BudaPalm
Old 10-08-2012, 04:32 AM
Tech Adept

Well i think companies are even trying to keep the fridge storing method a secret. A couple of days ago I posted twice in traxxas forums asking for help in regards of the fridge storing method and twice they deleted my post and claimed that there is no good reason to store lipos in a fridge.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:32 AM
Tech Adept

So does anyone know of any cheap humidors? I have been searching in the web but i can only find some fancy wooden really expensive cigar humidors that are only made for the GoldenBoys
Old 10-08-2012, 12:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

No reason to store LiPo packs in the fridge unless you are storing them long-term.

Our LiPo packs will electrochemically decay over time no matter what we do, this is slowed down by two things: Lowering the current energy state (charge level) or being cold (cold slows down the reaction).

However, the constant cold cycling contracts the polymer slab in ways it doesn't like, so this isn't something you're supposed to do all the time.

Only store LiPo packs in the fridge if you're going to let them sit for 90+ days.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:40 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by WindDrake
No reason to store LiPo packs in the fridge unless you are storing them long-term.

Our LiPo packs will electrochemically decay over time no matter what we do, this is slowed down by two things: Lowering the current energy state (charge level) or being cold (cold slows down the reaction).

However, the constant cold cycling contracts the polymer slab in ways it doesn't like, so this isn't something you're supposed to do all the time.

Only store LiPo packs in the fridge if you're going to let them sit for 90+ days.
When I say store them in a fridge i dont mean to store them below zero degrees but keep them safe at about 15-20 degrees. In a fridge you can control the temperature and this is the safest way to store your lipos.... in a temperature controlled environment....... You have to understand that at some countries summers get really got, in my country sometimes we get 45 degrees celsius but its rare. When you say you dont have to store your lipos in a fridge its like you are saying that lipos cannot be destroyed by high temperatures or that lipo performance is not affected by temperature.

For example hyperion states that lipos have to be stored at 0-20 degrees celsius.....so anyone of you guys that keep saying lipos dont need a fridge please tell me how can i maintain such temperatures during summer where the temperature outside is between 35-45 degrees celsius

I should probably replace the word fridge with temperature control device so that when you guys read it dont go like WOW a fridge???? he is crazy.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:25 PM
Tech Initiate

It depends on what your fridge is set at. 20 degrees celsius (ambient) is pretty much year round temperature in my house. My small bar fridge (usually holds beer) I checked the temp and it was 5 degrees (celsius). Enough to chill water (and beer) nicely.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:32 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by element6
It depends on what your fridge is set at. 20 degrees celsius (ambient) is pretty much year round temperature in my house. My small bar fridge (usually holds beer) I checked the temp and it was 5 degrees (celsius). Enough to chill water (and beer) nicely.

Well this means that you dont actually need a fridge. This is my point, some people do but some dont. Now that i am thinking of it, can you actually set a fridge at 15-20 degrees celsius? isnt that to high for a fridge?
Old 10-08-2012, 06:55 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tony montana
Ok different subject. I have a protek hard case lipo that has puffed pretty bad. The case is starting to split apart pretty bad. I don't want it anymore. What can I do to get rid of it? I don't wanna throw it in the trash. Anything I can do so I can just throw it away???
I take it down to .o volts then a salt bath for two weeks. Then our local home depot has a battery drop off box that I put them in

GW
Old 10-08-2012, 07:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Originally Posted by light
I take it down to .o volts then a salt bath for two weeks. Then our local home depot has a battery drop off box that I put them in

GW
Ok what amp do I discharge it at? And won't it get even more puffed by discharging it to 0. Little nervous to do it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.